AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As part of my remodel, I would like to upgrade my A/V system.

I currently have a 5 channel pre/amp from Myryad (T-50/T-70) hooked up to JMR Twin MkIIs and Ecrans, and using a Squeezebox with a modified ART DI/O DAC for Stereo, and a Denon 2200 for HT. I also have an ACI Force for the sub.

Music is my primary focus, but I'd like to be able to watch a nice DVD recording of concerts and movies occassionally. I will be replacing my source with a media server for all my audio (FLAC) and most of my video (DVD to Blu-Ray).

Currently, the missing pieces in order of priority are -

1. A good decoder for 5/7 channel which potentially could also replace the ART DI/O as a DAC. My current preamp has no decoding.

2. A Bass Mgmt/EQ system for both HT/Stereo

3. a good center channel speaker

4. 2 additional speakers for 7.1 (probably use the twins for the side/rear and upgrade my fronts?)

What would be the best way of building on what I have (assuming that this is even possible) within 3-5k?

Thanks

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
If you wanted to save some money, some receivers make decent pre amps. They might not work well with all amps though, as many can only put out a 1v or so to their pre amp outputs. An amp with low input sensitivity might not be able to be driven to full power by a receiver.

Some people are concerned by the sound quality of a receiver's pre amp stage. This point is endlessly debated. I am not sure how people can make categorical statements that receivers make inferior pre amps to dedicated pre amp/processors without a huge sample set, but that does not stop them from saying such things
Maybe some are deficient, and maybe others are superlative.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That certainly validates my thinking.

The one question I have is about the possibility/need for an additional sub due to the size of the room and managing the crossovers to integrate 2 subs.

It is a 30x30 room, but the HT area is on one side (30x14). I probably will need some treatment via furniture, partitions/dividers etc.

Any specific brand suggestions for the pre/pro or receiver that has flexibility in bass mgmt and has secondary pre-outs?

It appears the HK 254 is recommended. Some seem to have network interfaces. Can I hook this to the media server and avoid the squeezebox?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts