AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
There are many differences, I just mention the most important one for me (others might want to chime in).

The 300s can do 48Hz (true film refresh rate multiple of 24) via DVI, the 7200 can't (at least I could not manage, but in my experience, it either works or it doesn't).

Cheers

Christoph

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks...mention some more. I have a 7200 new in the box but the sim Seleco colors are great. I saw the sim 500 at CES and even though that picture was great what I heard is that the 300 is no slough compared to most "other" pj's

Larry

·
Registered
467 Posts
My 2 cents: The Sim has a slightly longer throw. The 7200 will be a good bit brighter - some think at the expense of blacks and shadow detail. A 7210 version with HD2+ that may help this has been talked about. The Infocus will be less expensive. The Sim link is a two part piece (an advantage for some in install). The 7200 / 7210 is a single unit. The Sim should be mounted between the bottom and top of the screen (inside the screen height) to allow no keystone. The 7200 I believe needs to be mounted above the screen (someone else should confirm). Bulb life is rated longer for the Sim (but it is less bright).

My opinion is the Sim requires better ambient light control (a mostly dedicated room) but this is a touchy subject among some. For the record I own the HT300+ and have not owned the 7200. There are some reports of a slight barrel distortion for the 7200 (supposedly fixed for the 7210).

Brian

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Brian,

I think it's the 7205 Infocus ...but who's counting???

Anymore!!!

This is for a dedicated room with light control. How much can you put on ambient light with the Sim??? Like scounces etc.

Larry

·
Registered
467 Posts
7210 sounds better than 7205 doesn't it? LOL

Screen size and screen choice will greatly affect the performance in ambient light - you should look for posts by Tryg that review the different materials.

I can only comment on the Firehawk which I own. I have a large screen size (118" diagonal) so I really need complete light control. When I watch myself I only have dim step lights on the ground - almost completely black. For more family oriented viewing I have the side scones on but very dim (certainly not enough to read by). A little light does not appear to affect the image but it quickly degrades as light is added to the room. If you like to watch with more than minor/modest room light you may be better served to stick with the 7200. However, if you are serious about your movie experience you will want it as dark as you are comfortable with IMHO for any projector.

Hope this helps

Brian

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will be using a Screen Research screen but have read Tryg website ,which is outstanding!!! I am not really into grey screens and will have a dark room. The ambient light is for the kids when watching "sponge

Bob" or kid movies but they like it dark .

Screen size will be 100 inch wide or 114 diag. 16:9 but might consider going down one size due to having to move my screen wall toward the platform 12 inches to accomadate a vertical center....but that is another thread.

Thanks.

Larry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.