AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am hoping a kind member will help with what is to most of a very simple task.I am partially deaf and house bound so I cant stroll round the shops for electronic bits and must order online. I want to have simultaneous audio from my Samsung UE 37D5000 tv and my Sony MDRRF 865 RK wireless headphones.I have fitted a pair of external speakers.

My tv has what appears to be three means of audio connectivity; A headphoes symbol, EXT[RGB]and LAN. The speakers I have attched to the headphones socket.

On the front on one speaker there are two ports; Headphones symbol and AUX in.

"Google" tells me that I need 1. Digital optical coaxil toslink to analogue RCA audio converter.

2. lead with RCA connections both ends.

3. lead with toslink connections both ends.

Ihave "Googled" the items but am none the wiser. There are leads with male connections, female connections and one of each.

I would very much appreciate confirmation that I have chosen the correct 3 items and whether the leads should have male, female or one of each.

Again sorry for such a basic question but I simply do not have a clue. Thanks:mad:

·
Registered
995 Posts
Quick question, if you plug the headphones in the TV, does all audio from the TV speakers stop? Most TV's shut audio off when headphones are plugged in. Your TV might also stop all audio out too. They don't have the power to drive both.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi I am aware that fitting headphones cuts off the audio otherwise why would I have asked the question in the first place. Perhaps someone will kindly read my thread and do me the courtesy of a sensible answer please. thanks

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
When I went to the Samsung site and looked up your TV I only see digital optical audio out, no other audio output listed (their site says "no" by the audio out jack). So I think using a digital converter is the right approach.

You will need:
  • Digital TOSLINK/optical to analog converter -- this may have RCA or some other outputs, look at the specs of the one you choose.
  • Optical (TOSLINK) cable from converter to TV, probably male at both ends
  • Cable/adapter from the converter box to your speakers. The speakers may have a 1/4" or 1/8" (3.5mm) input, you can probably measure and estimate close enough to choose which. You will need a male stereo plug on that end of the cable. The other end depends on the converter box. If RCA, you will need a pair of male RCA plugs. So, a cable with 1/8" (or 1/4") on one end and a pair of RCA plugs (male) on the other may be what you need, something like this: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021815&p_id=5598&seq=1&format=2 There are other lengths and types on the Monoprice site, and these are also available at Parts Express, Radio Shack, and often Wal-Mart and Best Buy etc.

HTH - Don

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, DonH50, Thank you very much for the time and trouble you have taken to answer my questions;
very much appreciated. Regards jack.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts