AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my brand new 62" Mitsubishi 62725 DLP rear projection TV yesterday. Watched some football, tried out a couple of DVD's today to see how they looked during the day. Then it comes time to watch a movie at night. If you haven't seen Sin City the entire movie is in black and white with a couple of things in each scene to give it color. The black and white is over contrasted too so that it is more truely black and white with not so much gray. Anyway...I definatly saw the rainbow effect.


Tomorrow night I will try to watch a different movie with more color in it to see how it looks. I have a feeling that it was because it was white that I was seeing the rainbow. I don't plan on watching that movie again because I didn't care for it and if no other movies are like it and they actually have color I may not notice that stuff again. We'll see. Maybe I'm one of the few percentages of people who can actually see the rainbow but I really think it had to do with the movie.


Any other DLP owners watch that movie on their TV's?


~Eric
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyELF
I got my brand new 62" Mitsubishi 62725 DLP rear projection TV yesterday. Watched some football, tried out a couple of DVD's today to see how they looked during the day. Then it comes time to watch a movie at night. If you haven't seen Sin City the entire movie is in black and white with a couple of things in each scene to give it color. The black and white is over contrasted too so that it is more truely black and white with not so much gray. Anyway...I definatly saw the rainbow effect.


Tomorrow night I will try to watch a different movie with more color in it to see how it looks. I have a feeling that it was because it was white that I was seeing the rainbow. I don't plan on watching that movie again because I didn't care for it and if no other movies are like it and they actually have color I may not notice that stuff again. We'll see. Maybe I'm one of the few percentages of people who can actually see the rainbow but I really think it had to do with the movie.


Any other DLP owners watch that movie on their TV's?


~Eric
Watched it on my Sammy 6168 - PQ was frig'in amazing - no rainbows and

awesome shadow detail - but then again I have never seen a DLP rainbow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyELF
Maybe I'm one of the few percentages of people who can actually see the rainbow but I really think it had to do with the movie.
Obviously your ability to see rainbows has nothing to do with this particular movie or black and white movies in general.

Furthermore, I seriously doubt that only a few percentages of all people can see rainbows. Many see them but "are not bothered by them", "know how to look the `right` way", "focus more on the movie" and other justifications for having a DLP while being able to see rainbows.


Frankly it is beyond me why some people *cannot* see them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyELF
I got my brand new 62" Mitsubishi 62725 DLP rear projection TV yesterday. Watched some football, tried out a couple of DVD's today to see how they looked during the day. Then it comes time to watch a movie at night. If you haven't seen Sin City the entire movie is in black and white with a couple of things in each scene to give it color. The black and white is over contrasted too so that it is more truely black and white with not so much gray. Anyway...I definatly saw the rainbow effect.


Tomorrow night I will try to watch a different movie with more color in it to see how it looks. I have a feeling that it was because it was white that I was seeing the rainbow. I don't plan on watching that movie again because I didn't care for it and if no other movies are like it and they actually have color I may not notice that stuff again. We'll see. Maybe I'm one of the few percentages of people who can actually see the rainbow but I really think it had to do with the movie.


Any other DLP owners watch that movie on their TV's?


~Eric


Sin City is basically unwatchable for many on a DLP and is a great disc to take with you to test out DLP's with if you are considering buying one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
307 Posts
Actually in the Sin City thread in DVD discussions there was several mentions of seeing rainbows going wild with this movie. I bought a Sony so I kept an eye out for them but they didnt bother me at all :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpcfan
Obviously your ability to see rainbows has nothing to do with this particular movie or black and white movies in general.

Furthermore, I seriously doubt that on a few percentage of all people can see rainbows. Many see them but "are not bothered by them", "focus more on the movie" and other justifications for having a DLP while being able to see rainbows.


Frankly it is beyond me why some people cannot see them.
I read something in a trade publication regarding the percentage of people who are susceptible to seeing the so-called rainbows, but I cannot remember what the number was. What I do recall is that the article stated that "the vast majority" of people are "not susceptible" to seeing them. Obviously, certain viewing material will no doubt exascerbate the problem for anyone susceptible to seeing the colored flashes of light.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch Commander
Actually in the Sin City thread in DVD discussions there was several mentions of seeing rainbows going wild with this movie. I bought a Sony so I kept an eye out for them but they didnt bother me at all :D
This type of movie is a major reason for the phenomenal success of the Sony 3LCD's. It looks great and very detailed on them and despite what DLP devotees may say, just about everyone can force themselves to see rainbows and combined with the picture noise generated by the wobulated DLP chips, make it unwatchable for many. Shows the flaw in the DLP devotees "black level" arguments. Not really....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
564 Posts
Only 3% of people see rainbows on a DLP based product, I think they all post in here! ;-)

Anyway, my Mits Diamond DLP looked AWSOME when I watched Sin City! Great black level, superb contrast and just crystal clear picture which is one of the benefits of DLP on a good signal. If you continue to see rainbows try a LCD based product. The new Mits 528 series are fantastic as well as some of the newer Sony product.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
I'm a former DLP owner who had to make the move to LCD because of rainbows. I watched Sin City on my Sony and the first thing I thought of was how crazy it would make me to watch it on a DLP. Mostly dark scenes with a few really bright objects were the WORST for me, personally. And once I noticed what material was the worst, I couldn't stop seeing them, even in material that wasn't like that.


Bummer. I really wonder if I would have noticed them if I hadn't read so much about the phenomenon prior to my purchase.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch Commander
Actually in the Sin City thread in DVD discussions there was several mentions of seeing rainbows going wild with this movie. I bought a Sony so I kept an eye out for them but they didnt bother me at all :D
Does that mean that you didn't see them or that you did see them but they didn't bother you?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Watched it the other night on my Toshiba 62" DLP - looked freaking amazing. Best looking DVD I've watched on the TV so far.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpcfan
Obviously your ability to see rainbows has nothing to do with this particular movie or black and white movies in general.

Furthermore, I seriously doubt that only a few percentages of all people can see rainbows. Many see them but "are not bothered by them", "know how to look the `right` way", "focus more on the movie" and other justifications for having a DLP while being able to see rainbows.


Frankly it is beyond me why some people *cannot* see them.
I disagree. I think they ARE more noticeable in Black & White... I rarely saw rainbows in the past. I could see them if I tried hard, but why? Then I watched Sin City the other night on my new 1080p Samsung 6168 - I saw them everywhere. So I checked out another older B&W pic - Casablanca (which I had not yet watched on a DLP), and same thing... rainbows (not as many though). I think they are simply more visible because of the flashing color over black and white. And Sin City is VERY heavily bright/dark contrasted which produces them in greater frequency.


That said, the PQ in Sin City was absolutely stunning! And like you, the rainbows don't really bother me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyELF
Does that mean that you didn't see them or that you did see them but they didn't bother you?
I think he means "Na na na na na na. I don't have a DLP so I don't see rainbows."
 

·
Coyote Waits
Joined
·
27,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpcfan
Obviously your ability to see rainbows has nothing to do with this particular movie or black and white movies in general.
High contrast make is easier for those that see rainbows to see them.

Quote:
Furthermore, I seriously doubt that only a few percentages of all people can see rainbows.
I don't doubt that you see rainbows. Why should you doubt that others don't see them?


I don't doubt that you "doubt that only a few percentages" see rainbows but what are you basing your "doubt" on? The prevailing view in the forum is that it's a small percentage.


Quote:
Many see them but "are not bothered by them", "know how to look the `right` way", "focus more on the movie" and other justifications for having a DLP while being able to see rainbows.
That's right for the small percentage that see them in the first place.

Quote:
Frankly it is beyond me why some people *cannot* see them.
It's due to physiological differences not denial or faith. :)


For instance I tried very hard to see them about three years ago and failed.


We watched our first black and white movie on our HLP5063 a few weeks ago. During a very high contrast scene that included movement of a bright object my wife saw one flash of color (rainbow). So you could say she is among the small percentage that see rainbows (at least once) and wasn't bothered by them. She might feel differently if they were popping up constantly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts
I watched it on my HLN and I thought it looked great. Then again the only time I notice rainbowing is when I "twitch" my eyes or move them extremely rapidly from one side of the screen to the other. When I sit further away I don't notice them at all.
 

·
Coyote Waits
Joined
·
27,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch Commander
Actually in the Sin City thread in DVD discussions there was several mentions of seeing rainbows going wild with this movie. I bought a Sony so I kept an eye out for them but they didnt bother me at all :D
You would make headlines if you did see rainbows. Your set doesn't include the color wheel that causes them. ;)
 

·
Coyote Waits
Joined
·
27,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazelle
... just about everyone can force themselves to see rainbows and combined with the picture noise generated by the wobulated DLP chips, make it unwatchable for many. Shows the flaw in the DLP devotees "black level" arguments. Not really....
Twilight Zone :eek:
 

·
Coyote Waits
Joined
·
27,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikewL
Bummer. I really wonder if I would have noticed them if I hadn't read so much about the phenomenon prior to my purchase.
Be content. You probably would have noticed them anyway. I wouldn't attempt to train myself to not see them if in fact I could see them.


If I had seen them during the two years that I checked out DLP in showrooms I probably would have bought a Sony, and I would be waiting for the new SXRD models to show up.


Sin City is a "Very Long Wait" at Netfilx, and I blaim it on AVS Forums. :mad:
 
1 - 20 of 132 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top