AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little background is that I have an older Denon and I use the PRE-OUTs to drive my Sunfire Cinema Grand. I'm working on upgrading to HDMI finally and so I need a new receiver.


So technically, I only need a pre-processor, but my research is showing that a pre-pro will still cost more than a new Denon AVR (say a 33xx or 43xx series) that has amplification capability? If I am wrong, I'd love some advice.


Also, if it is easier for me to get an AVR, does anyone know if they are smart enough to not generate all the power if using pre-outs?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
664 Posts
The Denon 4311 has "pre/pro" mode that shuts down all the internal amps (and basically turns it into a pre-processor only).


IMHO, I'm in total agreement, I'd get something like the 4311 and forget about a dedicated pre-processor. If you ever want the amps; they are there, and your likely getting a MUCH better value by buying something that's more "mainstream". AVRs are becoming more and more like computers; a "niche" player may have some special feature you want, but, in general, you're going to give up a lot (including money) to get that special feature. The high end/mainstream AVRs just have so much to offer, and their software is better than almost anything you'll find in a niche player; I don't know why (unless you're only listening to 2 channel music on a 2 channel setup) anyone would go with some of the "audiophile" brands.


In that situation, I'd get the 4311 without hesitation and try it out. 11.2, newest MultiEQ (Audessey), newest HDMI, good price.. Seems like a no-brainer to me. I'd get the 4311 instead of the 3311 for the dual sub correction and the better Audessey software..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gig103 /forum/post/19590663


A little background is that I have an older Denon and I use the PRE-OUTs to drive my Sunfire Cinema Grand. I'm working on upgrading to HDMI finally and so I need a new receiver.


So technically, I only need a pre-processor, but my research is showing that a pre-pro will still cost more than a new Denon AVR (say a 33xx or 43xx series) that has amplification capability? If I am wrong, I'd love some advice.


Also, if it is easier for me to get an AVR, does anyone know if they are smart enough to not generate all the power if using pre-outs?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,923 Posts
There's few pre processors that could be considered a cheaper alternative than receivers. Emotiva UMC-1 comes to mind, but there's mixed opinions on it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
773 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gig103 /forum/post/19590663


Also, if it is easier for me to get an AVR, does anyone know if they are smart enough to not generate all the power if using pre-outs?

Amplifiers generate power based on load. No speakers is an infinite load which means they will only generate the power needed to maintain their initial bias which in class ab should be quite low. In fact using "hdmi control on" would generate a lot more watt usage than the amps with no speakers hooked up.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
25,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjfink
The Denon 4311 has "pre/pro" mode that shuts down all the internal amps (and basically turns it into a pre-processor only).
Apparently it just removes signal input from the amps; I measured no power consumption )~90 W) reduction in preamp mode.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz
Apparently it just removes signal input from the amps; I measured no power consumption )~90 W) reduction in preamp mode.
Makes sense..

Basically a good idea but to totally turn OFF the power supply is impossible because it also supplying the pre-amp, tuner, video DSP, audio DSP circuits. To do it right they need (2) switchable power supplies (1) for the amplifier circuits and (1) for the other circuits which would be a significant additional cost.


Also note the AVR actually has an additional power supply just to power the AVR in the Stand-By mode, this is primarily for keeping the remote sensor ON.


Just my $0.02..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
I was looking for a cheap preproccessor solution solely for audio (using optical output) as I run literally all of my media from a HTPC with direct HDMI into the TV. Seems like I am going to be left unsatisfied. I was hoping to use a higher end sound card that has 7.1 preouts in the computer but none seem to offer cross over control, room correction or system wide equalizers (which I kind of expected truthfully
)


On that note, I'd like to mention the the Yamaha 667. Has 7.1 preouts. Might be a bit under your price range. But if your not relying on it's internal amp maybe it's DAC's etc etc are up to scratch?


I'm on a tight budget so maybe my expectations aren't the same though, I was just hoping for 5.1 and good music lol.


All the best,


Mitch
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
25,495 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code /forum/post/19594615


Basically a good idea but to totally turn OFF the power supply is impossible because it also supplying the pre-amp, tuner, video DSP, audio DSP circuits.

There's a different, high voltage supply for the power amps, which would take a high power switch/relay to disable.


A single pole manual switch would be fine, but I imagine too many pennies for them to consider.


But at 4 hr/day at $.12/kW-hr it's only about $1/mo.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top