AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Us older members I am sure would like to see the TV series we grew up with and they were in the 1950's like "Ramar of the Jungle(Jon Hall), The Cisco Kid, Sky King(Kirby Grant), Annie Oakey(Gail Davis). (Judd Holdren) as Commando Cody, Highway Patrol(Broderick Crawford),Topper, The Millionaire, The $64,000 Question, You Bet your Life with Groucho Marx, The Howdy Doody Show, Medic 1954-1956 Richard Boone, Dragnet, Science Fiction Theatre(Truman Bradley host). Have Gun Will Travel(Richard Boone), Rocky Jones(Richard Crane) and the Space Rangers AKA Orbit Jet, Captain Midnight~Jet Jackson(Richard Webb), Yancy Derringer, Andy's Gang (Andy Devine), Mickey Mouse Club 1955-57. Please name your shows that the younger members may never have heard of, but to us were the greatest at that early time in 'our' lives.:)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Well, "The Twilight Zone'" has already made it. How about "Bonanza?" Or was that the early sixties?

·
Banned
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bonanza started in 1959 so yes this is part of a 1950s show like "The Adventures of Superman(George Reeves), Lone Ranger(Clayton Moore and Jay Silverheels) Acording to the IMDB the 30 minutes shows were *26* minutes long, which is 8 minutes an hour of commercials towards todays 22 minutes an hour of commercials!

·
Registered
10,523 Posts
Here is an interesting tid-bit on Bonanza.

Bonanza was more than just another western in an age that had an abundance of them - it was a clever marketing idea. First aired in 1959, it was especially developed to be filmed and viewed in colour, and was supposed to make Americans buy colour televisions. It apparently worked, as the colour TV became rather popular and the series lasted for fourteen years.

Kind of makes you think of HDTV doesn't it?

My Friend Flicka

Perry Mason

Superman

Lassie

Dennis The Menace

The Thin Man

Alfred Hitchcock Presents

The Wonderful World of Disney

The Roy Rogers and Dale Evans Show

Some of those roll over into the 60's and in some cases beyond, but they originated in the 50's.

·
Banned
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't know this to my recollection the first color presentation I seen on was in 1963 at a restaurant in NJ, to get more patrons in they had a color TV showing color programs. Then our Suburban Rescue Squad in Palmer Twnship got one same year 1963, when we were through cleaning the trucks we would all sit in a huddle of squad members and watch Color TV.

Most of you younger members were born with Color TV already being shown, but ours was a experience I will never forget, 1954 to 1965 all Black and White. Our family got rid of the B & W 1954 TV and bought a RCA color TV in 1965 year I graduated from High School almost 39 years ago.

P.S. Being a prisoner of Black and white for first 18 years of my life is the reason I like Color so much, and I would like to colorize all the old shows to have a choice of B & W not be forced as were to watch 'all' B & W! To me it was like opening the door from B & W to Dorothy seeing color in "The Wonderful Wizard of OZ" I 'think' you B & W purists would agree the above movie would not have been such a big hit, if it weren't for color inside a B & W at Beginning and Ending of the above movie titlle.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Well, I'm not sure I'm confusing 50's and 60's, but I'd love to have the following:

The early black and white Gunsmokes

The Life of Riley ("What a revolting development")

Jack Benny Show

George and Gracy Allen

Have Gun Will Travel

Wanted Dead or Alive

Alfred Hitchcock Presents

Also not sure if these are currently available on DVD. I know the Alfred Hitchcock Collection series will include some episodes of his TV show, but haven't seen them as stand alone.

·
Banned
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would like to rewatch Tenderfoot and the Cheyenne Series (Cheyenne Bodie) with Clint Walker. Clint made a beautiful in western country movie with 77 Sunset Strip Ed "kookie' Burns called "Yellowstone Kelly" the gal he had in that movie sure had nice eyes for a indian princess. There are so many series that would look good on DVD, but not TV as they would be cut to pieces with all of the commercial cuts they have these days!

P.S. Good ol Chester T. Riley, I feel like him only I am not looking for those get rich quick schemes, or Sarget Bilko With Phil Silvers a real laugh riot. Who won't forget Amos and Andy and Kingfish getting into one mess after another. The Jack Benny show, I hear that every time I watch 'The Final Countdown' movie from my DVD Region 4. George and Gracie Allen the crew of the enterprise found the inhabitants of the later half of the 20th century, still had George and Gracie on their minds when they named their 2 humpback whales after them.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Yes, to all you mentioned Bionic.

I thought of another one that I'd love to see again. As usual, not sure if it was 50's or early 60's.

"WORK!!!"

Maynard's phrase on The Dobbie Gillis Show.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I would love to see The Jack Benny Show (even though it was way before my time)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bionic Manaus
I ... I graduated from High School almost 39 years ago.

P.S. Being a prisoner of Black and white for first 18 years of my life is the reason I like Color so much, and I would like to colorize all the old shows to ....
If the price of bringing back the old shows is butchery in the name of color, then I'd prefer to have them remain as memories.

Class of '66

YMMV

Ernie Kovacs ...

·
Banned
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
Originally posted by MrMike6by9
If the price of bringing back the old shows is butchery in the name of color, then I'd prefer to have them remain as memories.

Class of '66

YMMV

Ernie Kovacs ...

I didn't say nothing to object to a Black and White on the other side for you purists, I just said I would like to see the old shows in color, butchery I say is in the OAR not color and/or Black and White.:)

P.S. "My Little Margie" with Gale Storm would bring back memories and of course American Bandstand with host Dick Clark.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I may be mixing my decades, it happens when you have a lot of decades:

Our Miss Brooks

My Little Margie

Georgeous George

Whirlybirds

Sgt. Preston of the Yukon

Bell Telephone Hour

Playhouse 90

The Untouchables

I Search for Adventure

Maverick

The Rifleman

One Step Beyond

Mr Lucky

Naked City (eight million stories)

Peter Gunn

Can I mention Yankees baseball?

Kids shows:

Andy's Gang (OK froggy, pop your magic twanger)

Mr Wizard

Captain Kangaroo

Winky Dink

Video Village

Game Shows:

Truth or Consequenses

What's My Line

The Price is Right

Beat the Clock

Cartoons:

Colonel Bleep

Woody Woodpecker

Coco the Clown

Popeye

·
Banned
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did you have your magic clear plastic to put on screen to get your secret line drawn on "Mr. Rivets" 1954 Captain Midnights Decoder Ring came in handy also.1954-57.:)

·
Registered
10,523 Posts
I can't believe I've forgotten some of the ones mentioned, but they sure have me remembering.

Davey Crockett with Buddy and Fess

Amos N' Andy

Sea Hunt

I Love Lucy

Make Room For Daddy

Wagon Train

Top Cat

This Is You Life

Queen For A Day

·
Registered
10,523 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bionic Manaus
I would like to rewatch Tenderfoot
I think you may mean Sugarfoot with Will Hutchins.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.