AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In conversation with my SIM2 dealer, he mentioned that sometime in the 2nd quarter of next year there's going to be an active 3D version of the C3X Lumis. He said that any current Lumis (other than a HOST) could be upgraded to 3D at that time. There's apparently a factory promotion running this month whereby anyone who buys a Lumis in December can get it modified to include 3D later for free. Otherwise it will cost $12K for the upgrade. Even though I currently own a MICO, I'd love to have a Lumis. I just can't afford to pull the trigger on one right now.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Any mention on what it would do to the specs as far as light output and contrast ratio? I have a lumis and may wanna do this if the 2d pic is not lessened in quality

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonedoc2be /forum/post/19618321

Any mention on what it would do to the specs as far as light output and contrast ratio? I have a lumis and may wanna do this if the 2d pic is not lessened in quality

I think they replace the video board so that it can do the active left eye right eye switching when in 3D mode. It wouldn't change the specs or performance in 2D.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonedoc2be /forum/post/19618321

Can't speak to the contrast (they didn't know), but light is expected to be 50-60% less in 3D.

Jim

·
Registered
1,622 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete /forum/post/19619821

I think they replace the video board so that it can do the active left eye right eye switching when in 3D mode. It wouldn't change the specs or performance in 2D.

They will be changing the board, and your info is correct, only new Lumis orders purchased and shipped in December qualify. Buying at the end of the month for a delivery in January will not work (according to Sim2). Buyers will receive a "free upgrade" voucher good for the upgrade once the 3D unit becomes available in late 2Q 2011. The voucher also includes 3 day shipping both ways. Without the voucher, and for all current signle box Lumis owners, the upgrade cost is $11,995.

The promo also contains the following language:

Key points (of the 3D version): All C3X Lumis model technical specs plus:

"Dejudder" video processing for smoother images;

2.35:1 option

Compatible with main 3D standards

Uses IR active shutter glasses

Given that the offer applies to units purchased and shipped from Sim2 in Florida before the end of December, and there are currently a limited number of units available in Florida, and you cannot rely on additional units making it from Italy before the deal ends, I'd be ordering soon if you have an interest.

Jim

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Did they say what MSRP is going to be on the new Lumis? What is 2.35:1 option?

The local Sim2 dealer took down their Lumis and sold it as a floor model. Usually that means the model will be "last generation" soon.

Has anyone gone to the office in FL? Is there anything to see or do there? I would like to be able to see the full lineup. Compare the Uno to the Lumis to the HT5000/Teatro 50.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabident /forum/post/19831606

The local Sim2 dealer took down their Lumis and sold it as a floor model. Usually that means the model will be "last generation" soon.

Has anyone gone to the office in FL? Is there anything to see or do there? I would like to be able to see the full lineup. Compare the Uno to the Lumis to the HT5000/Teatro 50.

The msrp has not been set yet, but if the promotion that just ended is any indication, it could be in the $50K range. (I base this guess on the single box Lumis 2D being retailed at about $40K, and Sim2 was offering a "free" upgrade to 3D for anyone buying the single box Lumis by the end of December 2010. They stated the upgrade had a value of about $12K, so adding those together.........)

Not sure when it will be available, but I think I once heard maybe 2Q 2011.

Yes, I've been to FL, and you can see and compare "some" units, but it depends on what they have there at the time. They try to have several demo pieces, but you should call ahead and inquire if you have a particular model in mind. I would also be sure to schedule an appointment, it is not a large office and everyone there has a normal job that keeps them very busy. They sometimes try to pull in a rep, or local dealer to help with a demo. I've scheduled some clients in the past and they went on their own and were well taken care of by Sim2's personnel.

Jim

·
Registered
2,786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabident /forum/post/19831606

indeed whatis the 2.35:1 option ?

lens + slider perhaps

i wonder about aspect ratio control with 3D blu ray though ? the JVC for instance don't allow ARC with 3D content !

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
Hi Jim, for here would like a 100 inch. here the concept is a roll down Severtson 3D with a Polarisation s/n of 250, except they do not microperf so the side speakers will have to be a taller L+C + R+C (like the Artison's in Soho House but 8 times List price).

For the RECORD I absolutely detest active glasses, In televisions I will trade off resolution for the ability to do passive ANY DAY, however I am not sure how refined this new LG is.

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
Tonight, strike that I would have to shave. Soon, what to wear? Will it be the Armani or will it be the X3D? actually I will wear the PANAVISIONS they kindly let me "steal" from the show. There is a new Sheriff in the color slicing arena, don't fvck with the Pannies.

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
First this was going to be a panny 85, but the cabinet was built for a 65 and could not be stretched. That being said the lg is a passive projector. what part did you not understand that I absolutely detest active glassesJ. The lg seems to work.Severtson is the only company with a roll down polarized.

those are Leon series 7.on wall.

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
Now I am not saying that active glasses may not be an attractive solution with the SIM2 I just heard of someone related to Sim2 that I was burning bridges, just the Runco bridges with my torpedoes of truth
; that ...you have seen what happened to the Bridge over the River Kwai.

You have to understand that I use cinema equipment almost exclusively and after comparing all formats at the DCI symposium, and after testing my 2d to 3d dimensionalization systems needs THAT IS WHERE I have developed my stance on ac active or eyeglass inactive solution. Otherwise I am sure the cx3d with the Ce4 will be a dynamite looking 3d image specially due to the extreme ansi.

So clarification ; peace Sim2.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts