AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm after a cable that has HDMI and USB 3 A-male connectors at both ends. Actually, I need two of these - ideally a short one (0.5m) and another slightly longer (1m, say). Why?

My setup is as follows:

Two separate laptops. Each is connected to a USB switch (USB 3 A-male to A-male cable) and a HDMI switch (HDMI cable). At the other end of the USB switch I have plugged in a dongle for keyboard & mouse combo, and the HDMI switch is connected to a 4K monitor positioned centrally on my desk (with the laptops positioned left & right of the screen respectively).

Right now I have simply used a cable tidy to wrap round the HDMI & USB cables to produce two fat cables, one for each laptop to connect to the two switches, but the problem is that they are slightly different lengths and it's still giving me some cable clutter, even with the cable tidies.

Does anyone know whether such a thing exists? Or any ideas for ways to come up with a tidier arrangement?

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
HDMI + USB - very unlikely you will find your 'Frankenstein' cable off the shelf.

Cable length - you have to be careful with very short HDMI cables, some devices work best with a 2m (or longer) cable.

Cable tidy - do you have any pics of the system/layout?

Joe

PS The Scottish Seabird Centre was a fun system to design and install!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts