AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sequential color image sufferers...turn away now. It won't be strictly a DLP phenomenon for long...

Philips has announced their single-chip LCOS televisions, which they claim will be "revolutionary":

Read about it here

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
Ahh, but this will work quite a bit differently than single-chip DLP, because it won't have to use PWM to represent gray scales and color intensities, right? And it looks like they'll be using a system not unlike the Archimedes color wheel idea (functionally, at least):
Quote:
Philips' LCOS scrolling color system scans all three colors across the panel simultaneously, illuminating different areas on the panel at the same time (rather than showing whole single color images sequentially). Compared to color sequential systems, this effectively triples the perceived scan frequency, greatly reducing any color breakup artifacts. Since none of the colors are blocked from the panel, the system is much more efficient and can theoretically be as bright as a three-panel system.
So I'll bet rainbows will not be a problem with this unit.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Sounds great to me, if their "scrolling color system" can avoid the usual single-chip DLP pitfalls. Here's hoping.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Philips showed it at CES this year. I thought it looked better than LCD RPTVs, but a bit less dynamic than the DLP RPTVs that were next door at the TI booth. I didn't detect any rainbows, but I thought it looked a bit shimmery up close. I think it shows promise for a possible future FPTV.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Best of all, it should reduce the price and get the whole market more competitive for HDTV.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
What is interesting is that

JVC d-ila about 13-14 ms response time

Sony sxrd about 5 ms

Philips about 1ms, they use a hard disk engine that can easily meet the rpms rewquired.

This 1ms for Philips LCOS is interesting, how does it differ from the others?

Also in the same article as the 1ms figure it was commented that they had tried front projection.

Will we see a Philips single chip lcos fp this fall, perhaps at full hd?

Also the next generation of the LCOS tvs might have a 6 primary color system that Philips is collaborating on with an israleli company.

My imagination goes like this

A two lens projector with 3 primary colors per panel, in total two panels and two optical engines. This with full hd resolution. What might kill this compared with sxrd is the low contrast of Philips lcos, but perhaps they can improve on that?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.