AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't begin to tell all of you that post how much I've learned. I want a pj but can't seem to understand the differrences between single chip, like a dark chip 3 pj and a 3 chip one. If you know of any threads, links or your comments about pros/cons/differences, I would appreciate. FYI, my room is 12' x 18' and at this point am considering the H79 or Dwin 4, but open to any suggestions in that $$$$. Thanks.

·
Registered
916 Posts
The main differances between one and three DLP chips for me are:

Most of below is from others accounts as I have not laid eyes on one yet.;)

1. No color seperation artifacts.

2. No headaches and eye fatigue for me.

3. Less noise from a spinning color wheel.

4. More stable picture with better colors secondary to all three colors projected at once.

5. Less obvious screen door secondary to very slight misconvergence between the three chips. This is in theory as I have not seen a 3 chip pj yet.

6. Brighter picture usually.

7. Supposidly less dither artifacts.

8. Higher cost. I don't know of any three chip design in your price range quoted.

I am sure more will chime in with some experience.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jeff, thanks for info and quick reply. Am not sure if your comments favor the single or 3 chip. Please elaborate.

Elliot

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
3 chip is better for all the reasons listed above. go to dlp.com and watch the demo on the home page. that should clear up a few things for you. not sure what your budget is, but unless i'm mistaken the cheapest 3 chip dlp projector is still at least 5 times the cost of the cheapest 1 chipper.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
It looks like you need a general difference. Single chip projectors use 1 DMD chip. They display the various colors by the use of a color wheel. Color wheels can be anywhere from 3 segment up to 8 segment currently. The better theater projectors use 6+ segments to help improve color, reduce rainbows, etc.... The problem with a single chip is that rainbows can be an issue, which could be as simple as plain annoying, and as much a problem as one getting eye fatigue and headaches. Essentially the wheel spins and each primary color (RGB) is displayed in rapid succession on the screen. This can also cause increased noise as the chip has to do more work, and decreased brightness as only one color is actually on the screen at a given time.

3 chip are more like LCD and Dila projectors. They have separate RGB color feeds and chips. This means a much cleaner image, higher brightness, less noise, etc....

So in a nutshell a 3 chip will outperform a single chip, but you do pay for it. Single chip units (720p HDTV for instance) range in the mid $2k street price up to about $15k street price. 3 chippers usually are in the $20k+ street price range (with the exception of the newly announced Sim2 C3X).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.