AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may sound dumb but thought I would ask currently I am according to my REW sweeps in the 9 to 10hz area which really is fine. What does it take to go lower? I am aware the Umik mic is calibrated to 10hz not sure about the miniDSP I think the AVR4520 is capable. So without going nuts with spending my guess is I need a better mic?? and a better DSP one that can handle lower frequencies?? Also more subs but due to my room not going to happen. So any ideas or is it pointless because really not very much content that goes that low ( and yes there is some but not in abundance at least in movies and what type of music I listen too )

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
I believe Cross Spectrum labs has a more calibrated Umik.

Or you could try Dayton Audio’s OmniMic? At $300 it should be decent

But yeah it’s pretty useless since most music doesn’t go below 30hz and movies 20hz.

·
Registered
533 Posts
If you want to know how to do single hz stuff the person you want to talk to is @BassThatHz i believe he can hit beyond reference to 2hz. He will know what will register that low.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
What subs are you using? Are they capable of going deeper than 9-10hz? Sealed, ported, multiples?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if you read my signature you will see my equipment, all my subs are sealed and yes I also have the amps to push them. From my understanding ( maybe I am wrong ?? ) the mini is capable to 10hz and the umik mic the same. I think with a better mic and or a better dsp would help in attaining a lower freq. but then there is cost not willing to dump more money if the benefit is relatively small. Just thought I would ask.

·
Registered
15,390 Posts
if you read my signature you will see my equipment, all my subs are sealed and yes I also have the amps to push them. From my understanding ( maybe I am wrong ?? ) the mini is capable to 10hz and the umik mic the same. I think with a better mic and or a better dsp would help in attaining a lower freq. but then there is cost not willing to dump more money if the benefit is relatively small. Just thought I would ask.
I'm a little confused. How is a "better" mic going to give you more low frequency output from your subs? :confused:

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My understanding ( could be wrong ) if the mic is only calibrated to 10hz as in the Umik from minidsp how are you going to be able to adjust for lower frequencies?? It may show some signal but if its only calibrated to 10hz how accurate would the reading be? Does that make sense??

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think your right as well but even if it is you still need a DSP capable of making adjustments that low and someone told me the MiniDSP ( I have the Balance version ) only goes down to 10hz. In the end more or less curious and really what I listen to music wise will never go that low as far as movies there are some but not the majority.

·
Registered
15,390 Posts
The Balanced MiniDSP 2x4 goes down to somewhere around 2Hz (or lower).

Unless you have tactile transducers, chasing single digits is probably a waste of effort. There's likely something else that will yield a much better return on the time and effort spent.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Was not sure thanks!! and really no real point 10hz is fine, the cost involved for limited gain not worth it. Like I wrote just curious.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I can't see signature, I'm on mobile.

·
Registered
11,475 Posts
This may sound dumb but thought I would ask currently I am according to my REW sweeps in the 9 to 10hz area which really is fine. What does it take to go lower? I am aware the Umik mic is calibrated to 10hz not sure about the miniDSP I think the AVR4520 is capable. So without going nuts with spending my guess is I need a better mic?? and a better DSP one that can handle lower frequencies?? Also more subs but due to my room not going to happen. So any ideas or is it pointless because really not very much content that goes that low ( and yes there is some but not in abundance at least in movies and what type of music I listen too )
You're not wrong.

It will take all the chickens in the 7 realms to hit 1hz with any authority...
3-5hz is FAR more realistic, and even that will still take all the boiled-pizza KlLLary has, and more...

In NASA-mode a TermLab will measure down to 2hz at up to +180db. Or at least the 2013 meter will.
Not sure if the >2017 meter or SPL-Lab meter goes below 10hz.

A CSL UMIK-1 goes to 5hz, and if you are lucky and get one with a very flat and predictable slope, then filling in 2, 3 and 4hz isn't much of a problem. How accurate those last 3 digits are I'm not sure.

The Motu's are flat to 1-2hz, and the FP 14k and 20k are flat to 2.7hz.
Adobe Audition is flat to DC and JRiver/EQAPO can get pretty low too, especially with 3rd party plugins.

It will still take more cone-area then your wife will tolerate. There is no getting around that requirement.

and as you mentioned, the amount of content down that low is pretty rare and fleeting to start with.
It's chasing the ends of rainbows.
...and therefore, a completely nature fit for us ocd rainman a$$burger types! :D
MUST have our 1hz FROM kmart... and NOW!!! :D

·
Registered
251 Posts
I’m curious about hitting the single digits as well, I was thinking of building a stereo integrity 24 mkIII, into a large 12 cubic foot box?? And placing near field right behind my seat, just enough room to fully recline plus 1-2 inches for excursion. Curious if this would allow me to hit down to 5hz with authority 120db or so. Or would I need something even crazier?

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
The material is there, i have seen the graphs to prove it, my system of quad 15’s hits 10hz easy with room gain.....
Accurate measurements are ur first priority, but its all about the returns, i dont know if the amplifier power, the correct electrical supply from the service panel to handle the load, the drivers that can attain those cycles.

I started a thread in a Post Production pro audio forum, and they will swear on a stack of bibles we are reproducing sounds not intended to be in the soundtrack, that which we are striving for is an “unintended subharmonic”. They also state the effects we are producing would not be what the director intended and would be clasified as an “actor not intended to be there”, meaning the 5hz subharmonic we are striving for isn’t intended to be in the movie......even though its obviously there :0/

Good luck in ur goals ! Ur gonna need plenty of wall juice, sealed cabs, drivers with huge strokes, or multiples with less stroke, big power amps.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There was a time when I built my 1st Marty Cube w/a SI18 powered by nu3000 and thought WOW then I did a 2nd at the time 19hz was pretty awesome. Now I am at 9 to 10 certain movies are incredible as far as music what I listen to while loud does not dig deep which is fine. Always like sealed and all my subs are sealed ( really wish I had more room and the funds to go with it always thought instead of one DO w/ 2 HST 18's with a clone is good another would be even better ) Not 100 percent sold on the CSL mic read mixed opinions but in the end may get one or get my miniDSP mic calibrated by them? My room is just shy 1800cuft. while it may not be the ultimate far from it for me its pretty impressive. Thanks for the input..

·
Registered
601 Posts
I’m curious about hitting the single digits as well, I was thinking of building a stereo integrity 24 mkIII, into a large 12 cubic foot box?? And placing near field right behind my seat, just enough room to fully recline plus 1-2 inches for excursion. Curious if this would allow me to hit down to 5hz with authority 120db or so. Or would I need something even crazier?

I'll let you know shortly... building a 13 cu ft box this week for mine :D Not for near field though. More like close field. And yes, I made that up lol

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you have even the slightest itch about the SI 24, do not hesitate for one moment. That sub is an absolute monster. I have 2 of these in my room and they are literally scary and that's not even at full tilt. However I would advice that you budget for a good amplifier if you go that route. I initially had a crest prolite 3.0 which puts out 3k watts bridged(thought it was enough). It made me regret buying the sub since it was very underwhelming. I bit the bullet and bought a Speakerpower 12000HT(probably overkill) and the subs are now completely different beast.

I don't know about single digits since I can't measure properly yet but here goes a fun(scary) fact; I watched the incredible hulk the other day and had quite the ride. Later that day my wife goes like.."have you noticed that the wall is cracked after your activities?". Turns out I just found out that my entertainment room which is an extension of the main house is poorly constructed and was exposed by the subs. That I believe is single digit bass my friend!!

Attachments

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes I would agree the 24's are huge and if you have the room great!! Not going to say your wrong about single digits but unless you have a mic and REW to measure at best its only a guess. With my subs I can shake everything in my living room floor furniture windows etc no cracks in the wall but I know for a fact I am at the 9 to 10hz range. There are others that have experienced damage as well that are in the 10 to 20hz range. So I am not saying your wrong and maybe you are correct but there is only one way to know for sure.

Your SP12000 from what I read very impressive wish I had the funds I have a form of a clone A14K it pushes my HST's quite well.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yes I would agree the 24's are huge and if you have the room great!! Not going to say your wrong about single digits but unless you have a mic and REW to measure at best its only a guess. With my subs I can shake everything in my living room floor furniture windows etc no cracks in the wall but I know for a fact I am at the 9 to 10hz range. There are others that have experienced damage as well that are in the 10 to 20hz range. So I am not saying your wrong and maybe you are correct but there is only one way to know for sure.

Your SP12000 from what I read very impressive wish I had the funds I have a form of a clone A14K it pushes my HST's quite well.
👍🏼👍🏼 All anecdotal. Just got overexcited there....

1 - 20 of 94 Posts