AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
FWIW I would be too!!! A crack in the wall from the stereo not a lot of spl ???

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have a calibrated mini dsp mic that goes to 5hz. So I could test a setup once I get it built, wanted to make sure that SI 24 was the best way to go and that I wasn’t missing some 28 or 36 inch beast. And holy crap I can’t even imagine a speaker causing that much damage, looks like the hulk actually came to your room.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Not to sound discouraging but just because you have the mic and the mini and a 24" sub does not guarantee you will get to the single digits. If anyone in the site knows bass it would be BTH. If you look at my signature I have 8 subs 28K watts ( amp rated ) my sweeps are not perfect but looking decent after about 9hz it drops off. If you can get into single digits with 1 sub great but odds are its going to take multiples along with proper settings etc. I do wish you luck.
For more info read post 13 on this thread from BTH.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Not to sound discouraging but just because you have the mic and the mini and a 24" sub does not guarantee you will get to the single digits. If anyone in the site knows bass it would be BTH. If you look at my signature I have 8 subs 28K watts ( amp rated ) my sweeps are not perfect but looking decent after about 9hz it drops off. If you can get into single digits with 1 sub great but odds are its going to take multiples along with proper settings etc. I do wish you luck.
Cichlid.....looks like you have FF LFE covered. :eek: If you're looking for more ULF and TR on the cheap, check out the BOSS in my build thread signature below. It's an open baffle tactile solution that will enhance your setup considerably without adding any additional SPL....all for $150 per row plus amplification.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Cichlid.....looks like you have FF LFE covered. :eek: If you're looking for more ULF and TR on the cheap, check out the BOSS in my build thread signature below. It's an open baffle tactile solution that will enhance your setup considerably without adding any additional SPL....all for $150 per row plus amplification.

Thanks but no thanks! Wish I had your set up must be great while I may not have below 9hz as far TR depending on the movie with the HST's in one corner 2 DS4's stacked with a quad opposed with 4 infinity 1262's in the other really do not need any. I can feel the floor moving walls shaking windows vibrating etc. Considering my room is just shy of 1800cuft I am good.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I think your right as well but even if it is you still need a DSP capable of making adjustments that low and someone told me the MiniDSP ( I have the Balance version ) only goes down to 10hz. In the end more or less curious and really what I listen to music wise will never go that low as far as movies there are some but not the majority.
The Balanced MiniDSP 2x4 goes down to somewhere around 2Hz (or lower).
Unless you have tactile transducers, chasing single digits is probably a waste of effort. There's likely something else that will yield a much better return on the time and effort spent.
Just to be clear, the MiniDSP will only EQ down to 10Hz, and even the HD with the floating point architecture has over/undershoot issues below 20Hz, though it is better than the fixed point architecture modules (2x4, balanced, 4x10, 10x10). The output bandwidth will go down to 2Hz or lower. And, unless I am somehow mistaken, there is no other DSP on the market that will EQ lower. I have looked quite extensively for another that will even EQ down to 10Hz, and could not find one.

Also, stating that chasing single digits is a waste of effort I might consider sacrilegious ;):). You can accomplish it with sealed, gigantic ported, or tactile transducers. If you had the room, you could probably design a horn that reaches fairly well below 10Hz. Plenty of ways to skin the proverbial cat. To get to reference levels in that range does take some cone area, but in my opinion, even having appreciable output down to 7-8Hz can make for a totally different experience.

The material is there, i have seen the graphs to prove it, my system of quad 15’s hits 10hz easy with room gain.....
Accurate measurements are ur first priority, but its all about the returns, i dont know if the amplifier power, the correct electrical supply from the service panel to handle the load, the drivers that can attain those cycles.
I started a thread in a Post Production pro audio forum, and they will swear on a stack of bibles we are reproducing sounds not intended to be in the soundtrack, that which we are striving for is an “unintended subharmonic”. They also state the effects we are producing would not be what the director intended and would be clasified as an “actor not intended to be there”, meaning the 5hz subharmonic we are striving for isn’t intended to be in the movie......even though its obviously there :0/
Whether or not it is 'truly' meant to be included in the mix is not of my concern. I'm willing to bet that a large portion of those people have never heard an action movie with a system that reproduces

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Thanks but no thanks! Wish I had your set up must be great while I may not have below 9hz as far TR depending on the movie with the HST's in one corner 2 DS4's stacked with a quad opposed with 4 infinity 1262's in the other really do not need any. I can feel the floor moving walls shaking windows vibrating etc. Considering my room is just shy of 1800cuft I am good.
Oh yeah.....you're getting plenty of pressurization then...didn't realize you were on suspended floor also. Carry on.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I know that getting down to 5hz is really tough but thought that by my body and head being 2-4 feet from the wooofer itself that it might be doable with a single 24 inch. Others in the room may not get the full effect but maybe I could at the mlp? Plans were to put it right next to a fully reclined seat with 1-2 inch buffer room between the seat and the woofer cone at full excursion.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Just to be clear, the MiniDSP will only EQ down to 10Hz, and even the HD with the floating point architecture has over/undershoot issues below 20Hz, though it is better than the fixed point architecture modules (2x4, balanced, 4x10, 10x10). The output bandwidth will go down to 2Hz or lower. And, unless I am somehow mistaken, there is no other DSP on the market that will EQ lower. I have looked quite extensively for another that will even EQ down to 10Hz, and could not find one.

Also, stating that chasing single digits is a waste of effort I might consider sacrilegious ;):). You can accomplish it with sealed, gigantic ported, or tactile transducers. If you had the room, you could probably design a horn that reaches fairly well below 10Hz. Plenty of ways to skin the proverbial cat. To get to reference levels in that range does take some cone area, but in my opinion, even having appreciable output down to 7-8Hz can make for a totally different experience.

Your point is well taken but let me clarify " a waste of effort " it took more then I wanted to spend to get to where I am now and I am okay with it. In order for me to go get below 9hz first I need a new mic an option is the CSL Umik or get my Umik recal'ed by them, second find a better DSP not saying your wrong but if you have the funds or the ability to develop your own program I am sure there is one, third cone area the more subs the easier it is to chase the lower frequencies. My point to me its a wasted effort since I do not have the funds nor the room to increase the amount of subs in my room for a limited gain. I am not disagreeing with you about content below 10hz its there Hulk WOTW EOT etc have scenes where it can get pretty intense. There is no cheap way around it if you want to go below 10hz break out the wallet.

Reactions: drewp29

·
Registered
307 Posts
Your point is well taken but let me clarify " a waste of effort "
I was really talking about Stereodude's comment regarding chasing single digits as a wasted effort, lol, if only to once again state that the DIY forum is built on overkill, and I'm totally okay with that!

It's apparent that you have put quite a bit of effort and expense into your system, and it is a mighty system indeed! I definitely don't have the output you do, but soon will be a little closer, and am definitely hunting for single digits. I am on a suspended floor, so I will get a bit more out of the low end in the form of vibrations and such than those with basement theaters, or concrete bunkers. Even 8Hz at 85-90dB should be pretty fantastic in my environment. I will need MUCH more cone area, or something like a BOSS riser when I get to the basement speakers to realize the kind of gain I am going to get from my next subwoofer in the living room.

You have a point about making your own DSP. I actually looked into that for awhile because I wanted an all-in-one box that had enough analog outputs to handle my future 3-way L/C/R channels as well as the subs. There are developer kits that you can order that would do that for you, but I'm an ME not an EE or Code Monkey so it was too far outside my wheelhouse.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
For me it was a lot being on disability even more so. There are some systems that defy logic yes I made plenty of mistakes and while some only buy brand new I saved on some of the amps and AVR I have. All said and sort of done ( at least for now ) approx. 10g. I still think about what that money could get for my home pay off bills etc then I watch a movie or blast on some music and its all smiles. Instead of designing the room for the stereo I did the opposite after all its my living room. Its still comfortable looks neat and the school across the street can listen as well!!

Reactions: drewp29

·
Registered
15,390 Posts

I'm not following you. The MiniDSP will EQ below 10Hz. You can enter bi-quads for any filter you want, even those with center frequencies below 10Hz. Additionally, even filters centered at 10Hz can affect frequencies below. Like a low shelf at 20Hz will boost frequencies below 10Hz just like it does frequencies above.

·
Registered
11,475 Posts
I was thinking of building a stereo integrity 24 mkIIIAnd placing near field right behind my seat. Curious if this would allow me to hit down to 5hz with authority 120db or so. Or would I need something even crazier?
You will need something even crazier. I can't even hear the 24 in my room, even when powered with 1.21 jigowatts.

I would NOT be happy if the 24 was the ONLY cone in my room.

That said, it's still the best and most-capable ULF driver I own.

But you will STILL need all of the king's horses, from all of the kings (and that STILL might not be enough.)

You'll need all the ones...
You'll need EVERYONE! :D

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
You will need something even crazier. I can't even hear the 24 in my room, even when powered with 1.21 jigowatts.

I would NOT be happy if the 24 was the ONLY cone in my room.

That said, it's still the best and most-capable ULF driver I own.

But you will STILL need all of the king's horses, from all of the kings (and that STILL might not be enough.)

You'll need all the ones...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74BzSTQCl_c

You'll need EVERYONE! :D

Perhaps you need to look into the Russian company “Deaf Bonce” and their 32” Neo subwoofer. It’s a quad 0.7 ohm voice coil with an 8” voice coil and 8000 watts rms power handling....

Did I mention the 40mm of Xmax? And it weighs 264lbs :)

Although I doubt you’d be satisfied by even that BTH ;)

·
Registered
19,282 Posts
You have ULF, your mic is just dropping off under 10hz to not show it. I owned both the minidsp umik and CSL UMIK calibrated to 5 hz and both measured the same, sold the $100 mic. If you want more TR from sealed just add LT to your sealed subs, it is like porting them down low without the rolloff but requires much more power and of course excursion. Remember, chasing single digits is all about the room, some need lots, others not so much.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
You have ULF, your mic is just dropping off under 10hz to not show it. I owned both the minidsp umik and CSL UMIK calibrated to 5 hz and both measured the same, sold the $100 mic. If you want more TR from sealed just add LT to your sealed subs, it is like porting them down low without the rolloff but requires much more power and of course excursion. Remember, chasing single digits is all about the room, some need lots, others not so much.
Just went to brain dump what is LT?? From lots of reading some rooms attaining single digits is fairly easy some like mine well I have to fight for it. I attached an image of my current sweep ( just the subs nothing else ) my guess with the right mic based on the sweep I am more than likely getting lower but no true way of proving it.

Attachments

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
just looked it up DUH!! to add it would have to be added to all the subs in order for it to be effective correct. I have the Bal. miniDSP so if I am right I add to the first PEQ not the other 4 or in my case 3 one for each group?

21 - 40 of 94 Posts