AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been researching for quite a while now on how to proceed with a new flat panel setup. In short, since the stands of all flat panel screens are shorter than the height of the center channel, I now need to figure out a new to put the center channel so it does not block the screen.

Given that the back of the TV area is only a half wall (stairs), it is not feasible to hang the flat panel or even mount the center to the wall. And hanging off the ceilnig is not an option since I want things bolted down tight and aesthetically, not have more things hanging down from the ceiling. So, I am now considering this setup:

This 60 inch credenza:

Photo - http://www.techcraft.net/4105/detail...ategory_id=280

Line Art - http://www.techcraft.net/4105/linear...s/pic2_750.png

Then also use this arm to mount the flat panel on to the rear of the credenzza.

Flat Panel mounting arm: http://www.techcraft.net/4105/detail...ategory_id=275

Here is the actual method for mounting using this arm and credenza.

http://www.techcraft.net/filesUpload...4500003318.pdf

Originally, I had my eye on the Panny 50 plasma, but given the current situation, I am now considering a Samsung or another LCD since it's much lighter in weight. There must be others who are also pulling their hair trying to fit the center channel with a flat panel screen right?

Does anyone have this setup or can comment on this setup?

·
Registered
454 Posts

Here's what I did. My 52" LCD is wall mounted though, and I'm using the equipment rack as my center channel stand. That has worked out well for me.

I've heard good things about that stand that mounts to the back of your hutch.

Are you sure you can't wall mount it?

·
Registered
454 Posts
If you have columns on your stairs, why not use them as the mounting location? I use this kit for my baby gates:

Put four of those in a row, and mount a sheet of plywood or something to the inside, and screw it to the wood that comes with the kit. That should also support the weight. An LCD by itself, even one as large as mine, isn't all that heavy.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
91BlckGT, that is a great setup. Wish I had a wall but instead we have a half wall with a banister (stairs). I won't consider mounting it on the banister itself as there just isn't enough banister or wall to do either. Plus I think I want something more secure but thanks for the innovative mounting system

Hey, what have you heard about the mounting system that I referenced. Have you seen it in person? I hope there is enough room between the bottom of the mounted screen and credenza to place a center (just like your setup). Actually, I am considering a 52 inch LCD, will it fit the mounting system above? It is meant for a 50 inch screen.

Also, not sure if it's your camera lens but it looks like your credenza is slightly bowing in the middle. You might want to check on that and place a stud at the bottom for support. Again, it could just be the lens of your camera since your screen has some distortion in the opposite direction at the top. Just a heads up.

·
Registered
454 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowmah /forum/post/15518749

91BlckGT, that is a great setup. Wish I had a wall but instead we have a half wall with a banister (stairs). I won't consider mounting it on the banister itself as there just isn't enough banister or wall to do either. Plus I think I want something more secure but thanks for the innovative mounting system

Hey, what have you heard about the mounting system that I referenced. Have you seen it in person? I hope there is enough room between the bottom of the mounted screen and credenza to place a center (just like your setup). Actually, I am considering a 52 inch LCD, will it fit the mounting system above? It is meant for a 50 inch screen.

Also, not sure if it's your camera lens but it looks like your credenza is slightly bowing in the middle. You might want to check on that and place a stud at the bottom for support. Again, it could just be the lens of your camera since your screen has some distortion in the opposite direction at the top. Just a heads up.

Bowing? Hardly.
It's 2" thick solid brown maple. I had it custom made at a local amish shop for me. It won't bow at alll...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts