AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing an install for a friend who wants but does not have the space for a CRT.

As a CRT fan, (sorry no flames please) I do not have much knowledge re the current DLP/LCD 'better end' machines that are currently on the market.

I have been considering the Seleco 250(Sim 2)DLP device with the sealed optical unit.

I've seen the 200 model which was not to bad, and was wondering how much of an improvement the 250 was.

Are there any other good machines to have a look at for under 10,000 USD.

Good blacks and low noise levels are essential.

Thanks in advance

Eric

[This message has been edited by uncle eric (edited 09-23-2001).]

[This message has been edited by uncle eric (edited 09-23-2001).]

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Hi Eric,

I have been doing a lot of DLP projector research of late so here are my thoughts. I would stay away from anything that uses a single speed wheel, its not just about rainbows single speed wheel DLPs also suffer from motion artifacts. This rules out the HT250 and the Yamaha DXP1. The projectors I would concider are the Sharp XV-Z9000, the Seleco HT200DM and the Seleco HT300. Since the HT300 will cost quite a bit over $10'000 and hasn't been released yet that leave just the Sharp and the HT200DM.

The Sharp uses the new HD1 1280x720 DMD, 800 lumens, 1100:1 contrast. Has built in deinterlacer/scaler, rated 32db. Manual zoom. 2.5 X rgbrgb wheel.

The HT200DM uses the dual mode 800x600/848x480 DMD, 800 lumens (4:3 mode) 600:1 contrast, needs a progressive scan DVD player to make the most of it. Has high spec optics and powered zoom and focus. 2 x rgbrgb wheel.

Both projectors are very highly rated with very good blacks and saturated colour, the Sharp really needs an external scaler (like a Vigatec) or HTPC to make the most of it. The Ht200DM just needs a PS DVD player.

Hope this help narrow it down.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Jeff,

Any idea about the noise level of the Sharp.

Also, whats the typical street price.

(Sharps contrast ratio seems a little far fetched?)

Eric

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
The Sharp noise is rated at 32db which is pretty good for any projector. Street price is $5000-$6000 in Japan, $8000-$9000 US (estimate), in the UK who know? it hasn't been released in the UK yet but it will probably be £5500-£6500. I'm sure that the 1100:1 contrast is a bit unrealistic (compared to a Barco CRTs 1000:1) but reports so far is that the contrast looks very good and probably as good as it gets right now for a digital projector.

Jeff

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Hi Eric,

You know I give up any 1-chip DLP projector after tested the little wonder NEC LT150.

How about the new Sony 11HT LCD projector? It's silent. Very easy to setup and use. The picture should be decent after tune-up. Hong Kong price is around $5000.

regards,

Li On

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JeffY:
I would stay away from anything that uses a single speed wheel, its not just about rainbows single speed wheel DLPs also suffer from motion artifacts. This rules out the HT250 and the Yamaha DXP1. The projectors I would concider are the Sharp XV-Z9000, the Seleco HT200DM and the Seleco HT300.
I MUST disagree. I saw both Seleco HT200DM and the Plus Piano. Both projectors use the new 6 segments colorwheel and both have the SAME motion artifact (dithering and crosshatching) I saw on the LT150 which uses the old colorwheel.

The 6 segment colorwheel does remove rainbow effect as my rainbow-sensitive friends say!

regards,

Li On

[This message has been edited by Li On (edited 09-24-2001).]

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Li On,

I'm not going to argue with what you saw. All I can say is the high speed wheels were designed to improve motion artifacts as well as rainbow. Time will tell if they were successful.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Li On,

How are you? How is Hong Kong. There is a possibility I might reach there in around /5/6 weeks time.

Getting back to the subject, as you say, I have read many good things here regarding the NEC 150.

I saw the Seleco 200 in my dealer friends demo room and compared it to his current CRT which is a lowly Sony D50 7" machine.

I find it strange that some of these single lense projectors are quoted at very high lumens and in fact people laugh at us CRT folk for our low brightness CRT pj's.

In fact nothing could be further than the truth. The Sony D50 looked twice as bright than the Seleco 200.

This was probably due to the very high contrast ratio of the CRT. It just made the whites look that much brighter because the blacks looked so much blacker.

Thats what my eyes told me anyway.

I will still keep looking as the customer definately does not have room for CRT.

Best Wishes

Eric

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Hush box with a DILA G15!!!

------------------

STOP HDCP on DVI

Don O

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Don,

Of course I would agree with you, but if space for a CRT unit is a constraint, then a hushboxed G15 is probably not realistic. My hushbox on my G1000 is tighter than the clearance dictated in the manual and still represents a box 22"x22"x16". That isn't a lot smaller than many CRT units.

------------------

Kirk Ellis

G1000 D-ILA, HTPC, Panamorph (soon I hope),

Dish 6000 (HBOHD,SHOHD,CBS,NBC,ABC,WB,FOX,UPN, KCET -- does it get any better ?)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.