AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Time to replace my 15 year old mirage 15incher.

See below for layout of my room. The main viewing area is ~1900cu/ft, but does open up out into an additional ~1600cu/ft (via 6ft wide opening). I will be closing in the viewing area at some point. But not for awhile.

subs will be used for 95% movies - hi def audio. My placement options are pretty much limited to the front wall.

Any thoughts on whether I'd be better off with a single PB2000 in location 1 or 2 noted below or with dual PB1000's in location 1 and 2.

Thanks!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck  /t/1519482/single-pb2000-or-dual-pb1000-for-my-room#post_24399160

Given that...

- at some point you'll be turning the HT area into a sealed 1,900 cu.ft. room; and

- the cost isn't much more than a single PB-2000,

...I'd go with dual PB-1000s for output, extension and FR smoothing.

And for sake of argument, if I were to never seal in the 1900 cu/ft room, would you still suggest the dual 1000's?

Also recommendation on best way to connect dual subwoofers? y-splitter from source to each sub or source to sub 1 in, then sub 1 out to sub 2 in?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
12,347 Posts

Quote:
And for sake of argument, if I were to never seal in the 1900 cu/ft room, would you still suggest the dual 1000's?
Over a single PB-2000? Yup!

But if you were planning to buy one PB-2000 now and add another one later on, I'd go with the PB-2000.
Quote:
Also recommendation on best way to connect dual subwoofers? y-splitter from source to each sub or source to sub 1 in, then sub 1 out to sub 2 in?
I would do a short Y-splitter at source, then run a cable to each sub.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
I agree with LJ.

Nashou

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess 2 pb2000 would be ideal. But not sure I want to spend that kinda moola.

I am coming from a mirage frx-s15 which is about 15 years old.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/68293-15_mirage_subwoofer_frxs15/images/56223/

It is certainly not great.

I am guessing that 2 pb1000's will be light years better than this one. Any idea of the two 1000's will put out enough, given my room, so I can feel the bass deep down in my soul?

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Well you are right 2 PB2000's would be the way to go. Would it be worth the extra moola, YES. But if 2 PB2000's are out of the question I'd go with 2 PB1000's over 1 PB2000 as the others have stated. However if you are definitely going to close in the room and if you do it sooner than later 2 SB2000's might be an option.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Am resurrecting this old thread of mine. I am looking for suggestions on placement for dual subs.

I currently have one pb2000 located in sub 1 position in diagram above (actually it is a couple feet in from side wall - so not right in corner). Am looking to add a second pb2000 over the next month or 2.

I have built the 'future wall' in the diagram, so room is now full enclosed. As you can see, my sub placement options are fairly limited - along the screen wall or on the first few feet of the side walls - at the 13 foot width. I will give the sub crawl a go when I get the second sub.

I am wondering if since my cubic feet is relatively small (I think) for 2 pb2000s, that they could potentially 'overcome' the fact that I may not be able to place them in the most optimal position?

I know it is hard to say what will work placement wise, but any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
First you need to do a room analysis with REW for the single you have now so we can get abetter idea. Its not hard to use.

But stacking the subs either on top or side by side might be another option. It is called Colocating.

Athanasios

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
First you need to do a room analysis with REW for the single you have now so we can get abetter idea. Its not hard to use.

But stacking the subs either on top or side by side might be another option. It is called Colocating.

Athanasios
Thanks.

Do you know of a decent usb mic to use? The calibrated one (Dayton UMM-6) noted in the REW thread no longer ships to Canada. I can find this mic on Amazon, but doubt it is calibrated and not clear if not being calibrated will make a big difference.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Reactions: mrsir

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the mic suggestion guys.