AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok folks, I'm hoping you can help me out here because I've searched all over the internet, including AVS forum for the answer.

I just bought a house that has 6 rooms prewired with sound and individual volume controls in each room:

Kitchen - 2 speakers

Dining Room - 2 speakers

Master Bedroom - 2 speakers

Master Bathroom - 2 speakers

Backyard - 2 speakers

Garage - 2 speakers

Unfortunately, I don't know what brand speakers they are. Also all the speaker wires run to the family room where you will find one cable for each room. That cable consists of black wire, red wire, green wire, white wire. I'm guessing that 2 wires are for one speaker and 2 for the other speaker, since there are 2 speakers for each room.

I was told that I could use a multi-channel amplifier as a source to these rooms. Siince the amplifier is putting out 100 watts/channel. However, after setting up just one room the volume is very low. I have to max everything to get any kind of decent sound.

My questions are:

- Can I assume these speakers are setup in series to the volume control?

- Am I right in guessing that the 4 wires mean they are wired to the 2 speakers (black/red, green/white)?

- Is this multi-channel amplifier (Yamaha RX-V565) really going to do the trick or do I need to consider a much more expensive mullti-zone system? In this case, a six-zone system.

Thanks for your help on this one.

-Ron

·
Registered
162 Posts
Do you also have a number of cat-5 cables running into the family room? These would be for volume controls in each zone.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffm13 /forum/post/16932853

Do you also have a number of cat-5 cables running into the family room? These would be for volume controls in each zone.

No. Just the 2 paired wires for each room (2 speakers). All volume controls are in each room.

·
Registered
253 Posts
The speakers and volume controls should be simple enough to pull out and look at the connections. I would definitely do that before I hooked anything up. You can also check the impedance settings on the back of the control for more insight into how the speakers are run.

I would think without pulling those out it would just be a guessing game.

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Stupid question, but did you use the line-level output of the receiver?

Try a different room.

Try different combinations of wiring for the speakers - red + green (R), white + black (L); red + white (R), green + black (L).

The volume controls may not be impedance matched, and may need settings adjusted on the back of them (DIP switches). Pull one out, look up the instruction manual online.

To remove the metal speaker grill, use an un-bent paper clip. This will allow you to pull out a speaker and look at the rear connections, if needed. Careful not to damage the delicate speaker driver (paper cone) - don't put your finger through it.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Low volume could be from the volume control impedance settings being set for 6 speakers (6X). Look at a volume control to determine the settings. If you are going to connect two speakers to one channel then you would set the volume control to 2X, for example.

The multiple outputs of the Yamaha can only be used to drive your speakers if the amp has an "All Stereo" mode so that all outputs will be in stereo. That would give you 3 pairs of stereo outputs so you could connect each output to two sets of speakers (with the volume control set to 2X).

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm thinking this is the answer to my problem. I will however, check both the controls and the speaker manufacturer, model, etc. Your thoughts?

==================================

The Niles SS-6 lets you send music from a single amplifier or receiver to six pairs of speakers throughout your home. Push-button controls let you turn each pair of speakers on and off independently. Selectable impedance-magnifying circuitry prevents damage to your receiver or amp, letting it safely drive all six pairs at once.
Details:
  • handles up to 100 watts per channel
  • selectable impedance magnification safeguards your system
  • requires an amplifier or receiver capable of driving a 4-ohm load
  • accepts speaker wires up to 14 gauge or pin connectors
  • includes room/speaker labels
  • rugged all-metal chassis
  • 11-1/2"W x 2-1/16"H x 6-1/2"D
  • warranty: 10 years

·
Registered
253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondo1 /forum/post/16935813

I'm thinking this is the answer to my problem. I will however, check both the controls and the speaker manufacturer, model, etc. Your thoughts?

==================================

The Niles SS-6 lets you send music from a single amplifier or receiver to six pairs of speakers throughout your home. Push-button controls let you turn each pair of speakers on and off independently. Selectable impedance-magnifying circuitry prevents damage to your receiver or amp, letting it safely drive all six pairs at once.
Details:
  • handles up to 100 watts per channel
  • selectable impedance magnification safeguards your system
  • requires an amplifier or receiver capable of driving a 4-ohm load
  • accepts speaker wires up to 14 gauge or pin connectors
  • includes room/speaker labels
  • rugged all-metal chassis
  • 11-1/2"W x 2-1/16"H x 6-1/2"D
  • warranty: 10 years

That only lets you play one source at a time so if that's ok with you it would work. Like crutschow said as well, check to see if you receiver can put out stereo to all channels.

I have a sony 6.1 channel driving 4 pairs of speakers all running on volume control using the multi-stereo mode and they get plenty loud.

Another possibility is that the previous owners were using a 70v amp or something so you really need to figure out what equipment you are working with before spending any money.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
If the in-wall volume controls have impedance matching built in (most do these days), then you don't need the Niles SS-6.

I use a Niles SS-6 in my house currently, because my VC's are not impedance-matching.

Pull out a VC, and find the manual online.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad /forum/post/16941954

If the in-wall volume controls have impedance matching built in (most do these days), then you don't need the Niles SS-6.

I use a Niles SS-6 in my house currently, because my VC's are not impedance-matching.

Pull out a VC, and find the manual online.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll definitely pull them and take a look before spending any money. ;-) Will let you know what I find out.

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
My mistake - I use the Niles SPS-6, the predecessor to the SS-6.

It came 'free' with my house - last owner left it installed.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK so the brand of the speakers is Elan, and the switches has impedence control. However, the electrician here in the neighborhood (new houses being built) is telling me that using my multichannel amp won't work well. The amp is a new Yamaha RX-V565. My plan was to set it to "7 Channel Stereo" which would output stereo to all 7 channels. I was going to use one channel for each room. At 95W per channel, I thought this would be sufficient. Am I missing something here guys? Should I take this back and get a simple stereo amp and then use the Niles speaker selector?

Thanks for your help on this! This is why I love AVSForum! ;-)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thats what I thought. Am wondering if the electrician is just clueless on how I plan to use it - or he doesn't know much about A/V. Anyway, will let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I wouldn't use surround receiver to power 6 rooms in my house either...Are you planning to only listen to mono sources?

What you should really use is some kind of preamp and a multi-channel amp designed for audio distribution. Or, use the stereo output of the amp you have into a speaker selector.

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
I have 6 zones, running off a 2-channel amp (old Denon AVR1000), through the speaker selector box. Zone 2 from my Denon 3808 goes to the AVR1000, then to the SS-6 speaker selector.

I don't crank my music - been just fine for 2 years. I have another old Denon AVR in the closet to replace this one, when it breaks.

Hopefully won't need it - buying a Nuvo GC multichannel DA system this weekend.

Lots of work to install (re-routing speaker home run location from family room to basement, new cabling for keypads to replace VC's), but I'm excited - can you tell?!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddave12000 /forum/post/16962170

I wouldn't use surround receiver to power 6 rooms in my house either...Are you planning to only listen to mono sources?

What you should really use is some kind of preamp and a multi-channel amp designed for audio distribution. Or, use the stereo output of the amp you have into a speaker selector.

I'm starting to realize that with the use of the Niles speaker selector, all I need is a stereo amp that I feed into the speaker selector? How much power should that amp put out? I'm guessing that the more speakers that I turn on the less power they will all receive? Is that the case? I have a 100-watt Stereo amp doing a whole lot of nothing. Should I use that and take back this Yamaha and get my $$ back?

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
The only way to find out if using your stereo amp, for DA, in your house, is to try it.

If it works, fine.

If it doesn't, use the multichannel amp.

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
The AVR/amp you use may have a diminished life expectancy, driving many speakers. You may want to try it with a cheap used AVR bought off of Craigslist. It may only last several years, a few months, or an hour. Mine has done a great job for 2 years.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.