AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!!

I have a quick question about 2 channel music setup. Does having a Dual Subs sound better than using a Single Sub for 2 channel music setup?

Or it does not sound any different if you use a single sub or a dual sub for 2 channel music listening?

Thanks for any advice!

·
The Village Idiot
9,713 Posts
I've found over the years that one well placed sub is better than two for music. I've been using a DIY 12" sealed sub for the past five years and IMO get good results. Best of all are main speakers that need no sub. Which I now have so I'm not using a sub for 2 channel.

Reactions: natchie and eljr

·
Registered
10,334 Posts
Single sub vs. Dual Subs
Want vs need would be a generous appraisal because there is no real need of even one. Two is a feel good luxury. I have two so I am not saying there is anything wrong with it but understand a second sub is appealing to the psyche more than the music.

Is your system ready for indulgences?

If so, go for it.

Otherwise go with one or skip both subs and upgrade your mains. It depends where you are.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
The answer, of course, depends not only on the subwoofers involved but the room itself. As long as the subwoofer is big enough to handle the room, a single one does just fine in almost every environment. In my home theater I prefer a big 15" sub slightly to a pair of 12". I can't tell you why. It may just be a preference issue or the fact that I built the sub in my shop. Or maybe the home made 15" just sounds better than the 12" models with which I compared it. Hard to say. I have no motivation to do anything more at all to my home theater in terms of subwoofers.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Hello everyone!!

I have a quick question about 2 channel music setup. Does having a Dual Subs sound better than using a Single Sub for 2 channel music setup?

Or it does not sound any different if you use a single sub or a dual sub for 2 channel music listening?

Thanks for any advice!
Depends on the listening position.

If the listener(s) sits only in the centre of the room, the bass peaks/nulls may not be as noticeable to him/her. At the edges/corners, it's a different story.

A two-sub setup gives a little more flexibility with regards to listener position.

My question is:

Is it "better" to have two different subs, or two the same?

·
Registered
301 Posts
My experience with adding a second sub (the same model of course) smoothed out the response. Therefore IMPROVING the sound in both music and movies. It was important however to place them properly and set the distance setting properly in the Pre/Pro. This took TIME, lot's of time and measurements, however well worth it!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Thanks for all of your great advice!

I am using a pair of bookshelf speakers. So I will need a subwoofer for the low bass.
What is your budget?

How much room space would you allocate?

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Depends on the listening position.

If the listener(s) sits only in the centre of the room, the bass peaks/nulls may not be as noticeable to him/her. At the edges/corners, it's a different story.

A two-sub setup gives a little more flexibility with regards to listener position.

My question is:

Is it "better" to have two different subs, or two the same?
The center of the room is ground zero for bass cancellation and should be avoided.

There are applications where different subwoofers can be used to cover specific frequencies (e.g., true subwoofer and a mid-bass module, the Geddes Method).

Two identical subs are much easier to implement and calibrate.

·
Registered
494 Posts
The center of the room is ground zero for bass cancellation and should be avoided.

There are applications where different subwoofers can be used to cover specific frequencies (e.g., true subwoofer and a mid-bass module, the Geddes Method).

Two identical subs are much easier to implement and calibrate.
If I am willing to spend extra the time/effort on the calibration and the implementation, am I better off, in the end, with two different subs?

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What is your budget?

How much room space would you allocate?

My room size is 16' W x 40' L x 9' H

I was looking into the Dual SVS PB12-Plus subs:

http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/dual-subwoofers/dual-pb12-plus

I was also looking into making a pair of subwoofers myself but the time and the money it cost to make, I might as well just buy a pair. I was thinking of make a dual subs with 18" driver for each sub. But the cost to make a pair of subwoofers would cost me about $3000.

·
Banned
16,232 Posts

I was also looking into making a pair of subwoofers myself but the time and the money it cost to make, I might as well just buy a pair. I was thinking of make a dual subs with 18" driver for each sub. But the cost to make a pair of subwoofers would cost me about $3000.
Where are you located where the two diy 18" subs would cost $3000? You can do quite well for $1000 in the US at least.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
If I am willing to spend extra the time/effort on the calibration and the implementation, am I better off, in the end, with two different subs?
If that's the way you want to go, I would just suggest reading up a little to see if it's in your wheelhouse and is the technique that meets your goals. Whatever is right for you is better.

·
Registered
494 Posts

Typically, a DIY costs less money than a finished product.

It just takes more time and patience.

And with dual PB12-Plus', you're already at USD ~2650.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts