AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read what seem to be conflicting statements on various audio forums about single vs dual subs. Some claim that dual subs make it easier to smooth out room responses. Others say dual subs make the problem more difficult.

Anyone have any knowledge in this area?

Also, is there any difference between sealed vs ported subs in this regards?

Thanks.

- Henry

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
running two subs in two different locations should make each sub excite different peaks and nulls in the room, thus making the response flatter overall.

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
I think I can safely say that that for most of us here on this forum, our experience has been that multiple subs will almost always provide a more even frequency response throughout the room. I doubt sealed or ported design is a factor in this.

·
Premium Member
14,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike /forum/post/16905179

I think I can safely say that that for most of us here on this forum, our experience has been that multiple subs will almost always provide a more even frequency response throughout the room. I doubt sealed or ported design is a factor in this.

Only if they're not co-located. If they're co-located, (stacked or placed right next to each other), they will have the same FR as a single sub, just more output, (by ~6 dB.)

·
Premium Member
12,425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john /forum/post/16905205

Only if they're not co-located. If they're co-located, (stacked or placed right next to each other), they will have the same FR as a single sub, just more output, (by ~6 dB.)

Or if they are symmetrically located and the same distance from the listening position they will each have the same FR (assuming a rectangular closed room)

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Set up correctly they can improve the FR across multiple seats, set up incorrectly they can create problems all over the place. As is normally the case, proper set up is key to gaining the benefits. This should of course go without saying as well.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy /forum/post/16905669

Or if they are symmetrically located and the same distance from the listening position they will each have the same FR (assuming a rectangular closed room)

i kinda figured this. this is exactly what i wanted to do in my room. i wanted to place a sub next to each front main. i guess if i get a second sub i'll have to play around and see how it works out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts