AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to come up with a simple and portable screen solution for my living room in rental apt. What I have now is Optoma HD20 sitting on the floor and my window blinds as a screen. Screen size is to be ~ 140" * 80".

After reading many threads here, I am thinking of using either BOC or 3 pieces of 1mm 4' * 8' Sintra boards, suspended on 3 existing support brackets spaced 6' apart above the window. The idea is to make something that I could put away in 2-3 min, either roll it up and put on the floor or fold it and lean against the wall. I won't be able to drill into the ceiling so no manufactured pull down screens...

BOC stretched on 2 horizontal bars would be the simplest to do and more compact (just roll it down and keep it on the floor), but I understand it will be very wavy if not properly stretched from the sides. Is it gonna be too bad? Is there a way to glue some vynil on the back of BOC so that it won't sag? I wish there was some wrinkle free and flat BOC material.

How flimsy and transparent are 1mm Sintra boards? It's gonna be ~10-15 lbs total for 140" by 80", right? What if I splice 3 boards with some tape so that the screen could be folded into 4' by 7-8' ? Will it be enough to just suspend it from 3 points or will I need rails at the top to keep it straight?

Has anyone tried the above? Thanks!

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
25,007 Posts
Too many issues abound in this request.

1 mm Sintra would be exceedingly "Floppy" and require support across it's entire span. personally, I've never seen Sintra in anything under 3 mm and that thickness can be pretty "wobbly". However it would Roll-up easily enough...but at the size you stated it would be a ginormas sized roll. Then there would be the issue of getting it flat again after any length of time stored.

For a screen as large as your wanting, BOC seems the best route. Except you cannot have a decent BOC screen and be able to fold it up. Without support in all directions, a BOC Screen that hangs, even with a heavy bar at the bottom, is gonna be akin to a Car Dearship's Flag.

You need to re-think your entire equation. (ie: come back down to reality about having a 140" x 80" "temporary fold up screen")

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It seems like we have a signs store close to downtown Seattle, I guess I ll just go there and check how wobbly Sintra is. Maybe I could attach the boards to 2 top and bottom planks with magnets or hooks. And also use 2 vertical planks with hinges so that the boards fold on each other and the center of the screen won't bulge.

If no one has done it, I could be the first

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.