AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A local distributor has Sintra available in white (6mm) and light gray (3mm). Does anyone have experience with hotspotting using Sintra? Not sure how matte the finish is. Willing to paint it at a later date (summer) but need it for now as well. If Sintra isn't matte enough, how does Gatorboard compare?

·
Registered
626 Posts
I currently have a screen made from white sintra (6mm). Its painted with Behr Silverscreen. If I remember correctly, there was little to no hot-spotting on the sintra prior to painting. I would see if they will give you a decent sized sample of both, I've never seen the light gray in person, but I would be afraid that it might be too dark.

-Sean

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I picked up the white Sintra in 6mm today. Won't be able to try it until this weekend. Good to hear about your experience with the unpainted white. I will eventually spray it with the SS+poly in the summer. I'll have to get a sprayer and re-review MM's clips. I had the distributor square it up and trim it to 86"x48". I also picked up a sample (5"x7") of the bright white gator board. I really like how it looked and felt. The sample was thinner and lighter but still felt very rigid. They distributor (Laird Plastics) doesn't stock it. Have to buy a case of 15. If the Sintra doesn't work out I may find a local printer/graphics shop that will sell me some gator board.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,904 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adult Beverage /forum/post/18282084

If the Sintra doesn't work out I may find a local printer/graphics shop that will sell me some gator board.

I held off for 2 years trying GB....it was a serious oversight because it's a great Substrate.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan /forum/post/18282272

I held off for 2 years trying GB....it was a serious oversight because it's a great Substrate.

Realizing that now. Sintra is heavier and the piece I have is too floppy to use as I planned. Was going to set it on edge on speaker stands in front of fireplace and lean against mantle. Have to come up with a frame to stiffen the board. Don't want to glue anything to the surface to preserve both sides for use down the road. Screen will be stored against wall when not in use until theater room is done in medium future. Gator, if stiffer at 48x86, would have been the way to go. Gator is whiter and has more matte finish than Sintra as well. Live and learn.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Well here's my dilemma which wasn't a dilemma until I read the Gatorboard comments here.

I found a local supplier of Sintra board in the 5x10 size I want - so my 122" 16:9 screen is a possibility! Now I was enthused about that and I was going to order tomorrow morning. It is $80! In 3mm thickness that is.

Now I read about how Gatorboard is better. The same place has Gatorboard of the same size for $139 in 3/16" (which I think is about 5-6mm off the top of my head) but will only sell that size in packs of 15.

So it looks like Sintra is my only option.

My plan is to paint it eventually in Black Widow. I was ready to order a $800 Carada but everything I have read gives me the impression that DIY regardless of cost yields a better result. I live in an apartment and I plan to love every year. I have no qualms about disposing of the screen and making a new one every year. Which is why $80 for DIY or $800 for movable commericial screen are both options. But from what I hear a Sintra board is at the same level as a Carada Brilliant White and when I paint it in Black Widow it will exceed the Carada. Yes I plan on having some ambient light. If I find it doesn't suit my viewing situation I could just use Scorpion or C&S the next time I make a screen.

Now is Sintra a good option by itself?

Is it good for painting into Black Widow?

With a 3mm screen I am imagining that I could stick self adhesive velcro on the back and then staple gun some velcro on the wall and just hang on the wall. I believe the whole thing weighs 20lbs. I will also get Black Velvet and just staple gun that around the screen. When I move I will rip it all off and patch up the wall and leave.

Am I completely off with my expectations of this material and my application?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adult Beverage /forum/post/18282622

Realizing that now. Sintra is heavier and the piece I have is too floppy to use as I planned. Was going to set it on edge on speaker stands in front of fireplace and lean against mantle. Have to come up with a frame to stiffen the board. Don't want to glue anything to the surface to preserve both sides for use down the road. Screen will be stored against wall when not in use until theater room is done in medium future. Gator, if stiffer at 48x86, would have been the way to go. Gator is whiter and has more matte finish than Sintra as well. Live and learn.

Just ordered the aluminum Quick Frame material from 80/20. Trying the double flange material with gasket to hold the Sintra inside the frame. Their site shows the material being used to make panels using 6mm Sintra, so thought I'd try it. Hopefully it will hold it without any sagging or bowing, causing the panel to fall out of the frame. Frame, connectors and gasket was $87 + shipping. Sintra was $50. I can disassemble it later for painting the panel, then reassemble. Cost of painting in few months TBD.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have had the 80/20 frame and Sintra assembled for about a month now. Very solid. Adding the gasket material really locks the panel in place. No rattle, bowing or sagging. Move it around a lot and handles the abuse well. Have been happy with the image so far (Optoma HD-65 and 98" screen) but know it will be better. Picked up the Wagner sprayer and hope to do some painting soon. I plan on painting one side with the RS-MaxxMudd Retro as recommended by MississippiMan and the other SS+poly just to see the difference. Figure both will be an improvement over the bare sintra. Once the frame is apart I may also paint it a flat black until I figure out how to cover it properly.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb_maxxx /forum/post/18510926

i can tell you that the SS will have a fuzzier image... as if some defocused it.

Fuzzier than the RS-MaxxMudd Retro or the unpainted sintra surface?

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
yes.

sintra = as if you are viewing a ghost image of a photo rather than the photo itself. it lacks contrast and detail.

ss = a grey screen that with today's higher lumen projectors... commands respect. but lacks the detail of RS-MM retro. ss in comparison seems a bit defocused. also the colors lack the vividness (punch) and whites are a bit grey in comparison.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,904 Posts
But keep in mind that the "Fuzzies" are pretty much gone if Poly is added and the paint is correctly sprayed. However all the other less desirable traits still hold true.

It would be insane not to realize that the addition of Silver would not result in a far more detailed image. The real trick...not having the image look like somebody over compensated while using the "Sharpness Control".

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Despite a long weekend of brushing and rolling paint in the house, I managed to play with the Wagner CS DD outside. (Wife couldn't watch me all the time.) I mixed up 18 oz. of SS and 6 oz. of polycrylic. Tried to use the viscosity measuring cup but not sure how much time was needed. Seems like it took more than a minute to ooze out. Kept adding a little water until it would run out. Ended up with about 5-6 oz. of water added.

Set up some surfaces to paint in the backyard. Sunny with very light breeze, about 65 degrees. Painted 3'x3' piece white dry erase board, a 5'x3' piece of brown pressboard previously painted with SS and used for a year as a temporary screen. Also painted an old piece of shelving that didn't move fast enough. If it was flat, it got squirted.

Still trying to get a feel for how thin the paint should be and how to adjust the trigger +/- knob. First pass on the slick dry erase board was an attempt at a duster coat. Pattern at about 12" distance was about 10" tall and the coat wasn't a fine mist, but looked a little more like small spatters. Not sure if the problem was slick surface, paint viscosity, or knob adjustment. Played with the knob a little (think I moved it more toward "-") and coated the old SS screen. Think the cover was a little better but hard to tell on a screen that already had the SS on it. Painting the shelf didn't tell me much since it was bare particle board that soaked up alot of paint. It did allow me to get a feel for the spray pattern, speed and distance. Subsequent coats were applied to the white board and SS board once they felt dry (15-20 minutes). Ended up with 4 coats on each. Gnats love wet paint.

After drying for 8 hours I held them up in front of the sintra screen. Really pleased with the colors and contrast. The old SS screen had 2 coats of Killz and 2 coats of SS screen on it. All coats were rolled. The white board was smoother than the SS screen. Looking at it gave me a sense of nothingness. Couldn't sense any details, just flat and neutral. The old SS screen had a little texture from the previous rolling, but wasn't noticeable from 12'.

After all this I'm still not sure I'm getting a proper coating. Not sure if the paint is too thin or too thick, +/- knob set correctly, etc. That intial spattering has me concerned. Didn't seem like a nice heavy mist I expected. Watched videos on here so I feel good about distance and speed. Just have to play some more. Working up to the RS-MaxxMudd Retro but I want to be comfortable with the Wagner before I spray the sintra.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
hmmm.... i'm sure mm will be along soon to give his detail input/insight.

but in the meantime, here's mine.

however, it still seems as if you are light on the water. with more water mixed in, you should be able to get a good mist going...

secondly, 12" is a little close...

i personally spray from 18" for normal coats and 24" when i'm dusting.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,904 Posts
Ok....so I'm late to the gate.

Yes...add more water.

With the W-DD, the thinner paint will make moving quicker a necessity because it will be coming out quite heavily. 14" to 16" distance is right for a "Finish' coating. Dusters @ a 16" to 18" distance but at twice the speed across the surface and with a full 60% overlap.

At least your taking a measured approach that will eventually result in your dialing in the right viscosity. Many are NOT that patient, so that bodes well for your chances of making a excellent DIY Screen..

BTW, I NEVER use the Trigger Knob adjustment. It's left "Full Open" all the time because there never is a time you want to restrict the flow. All adjustments involving viscosity, distance, speed, should be made with the Gun set on full output.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I've been using sintra for over a year an like the image I get from it. I like white over gray and it's easy to clean. Laminate was tuff to clean for my taste.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I thought I was happy with the unpainted sintra. Been using it for about 6 weeks now. After looking at half sintra, half SS+poly, I realize how much better it can be. Even my wife looked at the split screen and thought the SS+poly looked better. And it was late, she was tired, and she doesn't have a lot of patience with my AV tinkering. I can't mess with the Wagner for a week to practice before trying the RS-MM Retro. Hopefully in 2-3 weeks it will be done.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,904 Posts
Because...it's not all that easy to persuade the non-initiated that the more advanced DIY applications offer enough enhanced performance to warrant the extra expense and/or effort.

Personal experience will usually win out eventually if the time is taken, or the opportunity affords the chance to actually "see" the difference, but that doesn't happen unless such is pursued.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adult Beverage /forum/post/18552782

I thought I was happy with the unpainted sintra. Been using it for about 6 weeks now. After looking at half sintra, half SS+poly, I realize how much better it can be. Even my wife looked at the split screen and thought the SS+poly looked better. And it was late, she was tired, and she doesn't have a lot of patience with my AV tinkering.

The above is an example where pro-activism helps win the day against adversarial input. Even the most adamant detractors and naysayers would be painfully myopic to ignore the difference in quality when it's presented to them in a 100"+ size format. Indeed, taking the time and effort needed to see & realize the difference between White and Gray (...when done right...) can present startling revelations.

Over the years, it's been advised to many, "Don't make haste, experiment with "White" first...make some Gray test panels..." etc. That's splendid advice for the relatively few who are both patient and able to do so.

But many that come aboard the DIY Train want the best results they can garner right off the bat, as long as it doesn't involve a extreme amount of expense and derring do. The majority of the ones who simply grab onto the idea of doing up a white Painted wall, or hanging up a "as is" sheet of White material usually do so because in reality, they have no real expectations and therefore can easily accept any result that is even somewhat pleasing to the senses. So "Easy, Inexpensive, & Quick" appeals to them. Ya can't hold anyone accountable for that reasoning "IF" they don't know any different.

But that's why I and others like me spend the time we do trying to make information available for those who wish to learn...and avail themselves of the experience they themselves lack.

So we wait, and read the postings, trying to glean enough info from what's provided to make suggestions and give advice that might steer the Poster toward something truly special, something that performs beyond expectations. And through such help, try our damnedest to make it easier for them than it would be otherwise.

Sintra, like Parkland Plastic's Polywall before it, can offer quick, easy, and basically acceptable results.* But performance wise it comes up short of better "White" surfaces such as Do-Able and Wilson Art-DW. And even those examples can only reflect what they receive...they cannot do anything to actually improve on the projected image. (...although being so precise in what they do deliver, they surely don't detract from such if the room is "Dark".) *Sintra has a Texture that many, myself included, find distracting.

As stated so often before, there never will exist a Screen that fits the needs of all. Some might come pretty close though, but cost or effort can mitigate desire and needs all too often. So when that happens, having options that deliver acceptable performance with next to no effort and only a small expense can spell the difference as to if someone is posting in "DIY Screens" or over on the "Flat Screen Display Devices" Forum.

At times we have great successes in convincing people! At other times there seems to be no Justice in the World.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Adult please provide us the results of your RS MaxxMud Retro vs SS comparison.

Also can you link me the details for the metal frame you used?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
More to come soon. I have been working on it sporadically in earnest lately. Took it down (wife realized we had a fireplace and mantle with pictures of the kids!!) and took it all apart. Painting the frame white, adding extensions to reach ceiling, adding hinges and latches to fold up flush when not in use. Adding black border to front when down. Have had the Wagner sprayer and RS MaxxMud Retro paints for a couple of months. Won't be doing the SS+poly on back of the sintra since I want it white to blend in to the ceiling. (Whole room is white. I know, I know.....) Still have a 5'x3' panel of SS+poly to compare when finally done. Shooting to have all done and installed by mid-August. Hopefully pics as well. Otherwise, it never happened...

Reading over what I just wrote. I may need to be Loganed....

80/20 link:

http://www.8020.net/Quick-Frame-1.asp

I used the #9025 profile with the flanges facing inside. The edges of the flanges had to be beveled 45 degrees so they wouldn't hit each other when assembled. Reqested beveling when I ordered. Have to be ordered through one of the distributors listed on their site. Ships directly to you. You can get their stuff from their ebay store but not cut and finished.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts