AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2 year old Toshiba TN61X81. It is a 4:3 set capable of 1080i display. I have just purchased (but not yet received) the Samsung SIR-T150 STB. My question is will the system display a letterboxed picture of correct proportions when receiving a 1080i signal off the air, or will the picture fill the entire screen (i.e. be vertically "stretched"). Best I can tell from literature and posts, the letterbox, zoom, etc. options cannot be applied to 1080i ouput. Anybody have any experience with the T150 and a set that cannot do the "anamorphic squeeze"? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I also have a TN61X81 and yes, the HD signal is going to be vertically stretched and fill the entire screen. The only way to view HDTV content in the proper aspect ratio is to use a STB that does the squeeze (like the Toshiba or the Dish 6000), or to do a service menu procedure to squeeze the 1080i section of the TV to the proper 16:9 ratio. The procedure is described here . I did it to my TV two years ago and it looks great.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I have resisted doing the "squeeze" on my Toshiba for several reasons:

1. Seemed risky to be messing with the service mode on something I just paid over $3,000 for... I didn't and still don't feel comfortable doing this myself. Anyone know of a qualified ISF technician in the Austin, TX area that I could hire to do this for me?

2. I didn't have any HD material anyways. (Only 1 digital station on the air as of last May. A second station just came on this month).

3. If most digital broadcast material is 4x3 do I really want it letterboxed on all 4 sides??? I would prefer hardware that could "switch" back and forth between 4x3 full screen and 16x9 letterbox... Do I really have to get the Toshiba STB to do this? What other STB's can do this?

4. Thought the STB could do the letterboxing, or "squeeze" for me. Guess I'll stick with the SIR-T150 for now, maybe upgrade to a box that will do the squeeze in the future when there is more 16x9 digital broadcast material available.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jnoblett2000
I have a 2 year old Toshiba TN61X81. It is a 4:3 set capable of 1080i display. I have just purchased (but not yet received) the Samsung SIR-T150 STB. My question is will the system display a letterboxed picture of correct proportions when receiving a 1080i signal off the air, or will the picture fill the entire screen (i.e. be vertically "stretched"). Best I can tell from literature and posts, the letterbox, zoom, etc. options cannot be applied to 1080i ouput. Anybody have any experience with the T150 and a set that cannot do the "anamorphic squeeze"? Thanks in advance.
I have the Samsung...you can set it up (using the easily navigatable menu) to output a letterboxed and/or zoomed picture for your 4:3 display in a matter of seconds without having to screw around with your HDTV.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I got the SIR-T150 yesterday.

Sorry to say that the "letterbox" option is not available when receiving a 16x9 1080i signal, with output set at 1080i and screen size of 4x3. The box came with v1.8 firmware, which I believe is the latest version.

I can set it for "full" (stretched vertically to fill the 4x3 screen) or

"zoom" (just shows the 4x3 center section of the 16x9 signal).

The letterbox option IS available if I set my output to 420p, but the 1080i view is much better (IMHO).

Still, HDTV is AWESOME...

Let's petition all our local stations for MORE HD CONTENT!!!!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Has anyone heard of Toshiba HDP-1 High Definition Video Processor? I understand that it corrects vertically stretched HD pictures on Toshiba Models TP61H95, TP71H95, TN50X81, TN61X81 and CN36X81. I will have the same problem as TWC will soon bring in a 3100HD cable box, which I was told, does not have letterboxing and zoom features. Here is the link to the Toshiba Brochure. (You may need Adobe Viewer to open it.)

http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/brand...neous/HDP1.pdf

Fred

·
Registered
6 Posts
These TVs will NOT display a 1080i letterbox image without the aforementioned Tosh scaler. Which is NOT available in the US. I've pleaded with Toshiba Canada, to no avail. Besides, the processor only offers about 830 lines of resolution, and introduces artifacts, I've read.

The squeeze mode is EASY. I, too, was apprehensive about doing this. I'm not too smart, but even I could do it! I plan on finishing up with this tonight. A bit time-consuming, but otherwise, I recommend everyone with one of these TVs to do it.

As it is signal specific, it only affect 1080i images and corrects them. The set will not change your DVD picture if you do this particular squeeze trick.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.