AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I ordered the Samsung SIR-T150 OTA-only STB from jandr.com. Their posted price is now $549.99. I was already pleased that the price was down $100 from a few weeks ago, but then the sales rep (Woodie x1077) told me that there was a $100 rebate available from Samsung. Standard shipping is $8.25.

Woodie had told me that there was PDF of the rebate form on the Samsung website, but apparently they have taken it off. If you order from JandR, they will put a copy of the rebate form in the box with your unit. I also did get a copy of the PDF from Samsung - send me e-mail if you need it ([email protected]). The rebate is for units purchased between 6/1/01 and 8/31/01. You need to send in the form with the original receipt and the UPC code from the box by 9/31/01. The form says to allow 10 to 12 weeks for delivery of the rebate check.

- Chris

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've received several e-mails requesting the rebate

form. Here it is.

- Chris

***> Although this link may give you an error message from Geocities, there is a workaraound. Just use File->Send Page (Netscape) to e-mail the page with the error message to yourself. It will have the PDF attached. Someday maybe I'll actually set up a web page, but this will work for now.

[This message has been edited by Chris Satterlee (edited 07-21-2001).]

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Note that the "proof of purchase" from the box that the form refers to is the UPC code from the corner of the box.

- Chris

[This message has been edited by Chris Satterlee (edited 07-21-2001).]

·
Registered
508 Posts
I just ordered the Samsung SIR-T150 from www.jandr.com. I was assured that they have them in stock and would ship soon. Also was assured that the $100 rebate coupon would be included inside the box. So, $549.99 plus $8.25 shipping totals ~ $558.24. Minus $100 rebate (waiting 10-12 weeks for rebate), we are looking at a very good HDTV OTA receiver for $458. I did request and receive the PDF file from Samsung for the $100 rebate coupon. It is good for purchases through 31 August 2001. Tom

P.S. I can send you the rebate file if you request, but please try Samsung.com or [email protected] ~ before you ask. Tom

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Scott,

With some restrictions, it is for anywhere you buy

it. Here's the text from the bottom of the rebate form:

OFFER GOOD ONLY ON PURCHASES MADE FROM JUNE 1, 2001 THROUGH AUGUST 31, 2001. Only NEW FACTORY SEALED products qualify. Offer only good in the USA. Void where prohibited, taxed or otherwise restricted. This Official-Mail-Rebate Coupon and the original dated sales receipt and original proof-of-purchase must accompany request. No photocopies or mechanical reproductions accepted. Allow 10 -12 weeks for shipment of rebate check. Sponsor not responsible for lost, late, misdirected, damaged, or postage due mail.

What's weird is how this rebate seems to have been such a well-kept secret. I've gotten e-mail from people who have bought the SIR-T150 after 6/1, but were never told about it.

I don't know what kind of a promotion it is if no one knows about it. That's why I posted this here. I'm not sure if I have helped Samsung sell boxes or just cost them money, but I know that there are quite a few members/lurkers of this forum who are saving $100 now. I'm hoping more people will buy this unit so I will have more company when I get mine.

- Chris

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi,

I hope the rebate coupon works with this vendor, but B and H is very reliable for my other photographic needs. They list this unit for $479 ( www.bhphoto.com ).

Jim

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tom,

I glad I was able to help some people save some money! I've benefited so much from this forum (AVS in general) that it's great to be able to contribute. I've spent most of my time in the digital projectors area, but now I may be spending some more time in this one.

ufotofu (is that "u foto fu", or "ufo tofu"?),

Wow, great find. I see no reason why the rebate wouldn't work with B&H unless somehow they are already taking the rebate into account with the price. Doesn't seem to be the case though. I called J&R and asked if they could retroactively match this price. The guy I talked to indicated not, but said I could call tomorrow and talk to the salesman (Woodie) who took my order. I'm not getting my hopes up. The price I got is already very good, but saving another $70 would be great. If anyone else gets J&R to match this price (especially retroactively to last week), please post!

- Chris

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi,

The moniker is from a Bela Fleck and the Flecktones (an amazing jazz, fusion, bluegrass instrumental band lead by the world's best banjo player) tune that, like the title, is a palindrome (the same forwards and backwards). The Flecktones use it as UFO TOFU. They should be coming out with a concert DVD later this year. Although it's a different musical genre (more conventional bluegrass) Bela has a great DVD-A disc out, ''Tales of the acoustic planet, part 2" that sounds great.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just got off the phone with Woodie at J&R. Told him about the $479.95 price from B&H. He said that that price is below dealer cost, and that they couldn't match it. He thought that the price may either be a mistake, or that it may be for a refurbished unit. He did say that I would only lose the shipping costs if I bought one from B&H and shipped the other one back to J&R. Just tracked my package with UPS, and it has arrived in the Northern CA depot. There's no way that I'm going to turn around and ship it back now; I'm too eager to start playing with it!

If anyone is ordering from B&H, they should definitely call and talk to a person rather than just ordering on the web. Ask them to confirm that the unit is new and factory sealed (required for the rebate), and that it has a full warranty.

If everything checks out, $380 after the rebate is a great price! Please post for the benefit of others.

- Chris

P.S. ufotofu, did you buy one from B&H?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Scott,

The RP91 is a DVD player, right? etronics.com doesn't seem to have the SIR-T150. Did you post to the wrong thread by any chance?

- Chris

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just called B&H, they claimed it was a brand new unit and they have them in stock. I can't really vouch for the knowledge level of the person I spoke to however. Darn, now I really want to buy one of these. The only thing holding me back is there isn't going to be much to watch in the Minneapolis area for about a month or so.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Can't .....hold.....out.....much....longer. Fedex says it's halfway here (2nd day delivery, about $14). Will post later after it's arrival and of the eventual fate of rebate request, but I've always had great service from B & H, which is a highly regarded mail order store in photographic circles.

Jim

[This message has been edited by ufotofu (edited 07-24-2001).]

·
Registered
100 Posts
I just ordered one from B & H based on this thread. My RCA DTC-100 just cannot overcome the multipath problems. I will post a comparison when the Samsung has benn put into service.

Tom

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've been watching HDTV on my SIR T-150 for about a week now and it is unbelievable here in the Philly area...the public service TV loop of nature scenes, travel in Europe and taped football games + Raymond on CBS and Ally on Fox last night is so much clearer and vibrant then Comcast anolog cable. Of sourse, the unit does not receive SAT signals, but almost 100 % of what I record on Replay TV is from the 4 network channels, all of which I pull in without signal break-up with my 80" RS antenna, which I installed in my ATTIC in connection with the Channel Master Rotor.

Life is good....but can anyone help me figure out how to configure Replay TV to record digital OTA broadcasts onto Replay for time shifting purposes...I have 1 wife, 1 son who is 3 and very little time to watch live TV.

I Know I cannot record in HD format, but Replay should record the OTA signal better then Comcast cable signal.

Phil

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sent my rebate in today. Good thing the original box was still lying around for the UPC label. My cost was $607 delivered to my door. Bought mine back in June. It'll be nice to receive $100 rebate. Thanks Chris.

Dan

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.