Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

First off, some quick background, I've got the SIR-T150 STB and I can receive all the HDTV broadcasts from San Francisco, San Jose and Sacramento for a total of 12 channels. The furthest is San Jose which is 61 files according to the FCC's TV DB. I have the STB attached to my Samsung SLJ403W 40" 16:9 SDTV, and the switch on the back of the STB is set to 480P and it's connected via the DTV input on my TV using the component cables (3 cables), I also have the S-VIDEO attached to my TIVO too. I am using the 1.6 version of the firmware on the STB (Turn HELP ON, then hit DISPLAY) and it will show the version of the firmware.

My problem is _only_ on SD broadcasts, regardless of the channel, I get strange horizontal lines/boxes on the left side of the screen. I get this on both the Component and S-VIDEO outputs. I have the screen settings to PILLER BOX and the TV type set to 16:9. If I ZOOM or FULL, these lines/boxes go away. If I switch the unit to something other than 480x, these lines go away.

I'm looking to see if anybody else who has this STB and normally runs it 480P has this problem. I have several screen captures of what this looks like, but in ASCII draw it kind'a looks like this:

4:3 broadcast frame

===========================================

| ....... |

| ....... |

| ....... |

| |

| ....... |

| ....... |

| ....... |

| |

| ....... |

| ....... |

| ....... |

| |

===========================================

They (the lines/boxes) are semi-transparent, but really show up during transitions from light/dark changes. Like the quick black screen during commercials, or most any SCI-FI show.

I do have the prior firmware (1.15) and I will "down grade" myself tonight to see if the problem goes away or not. I've been in conversations with Samsung and nobody's reported this problem before. I'm looking for a bit of sanity to help determine if it's my STB or if there really is a SW problem.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

P.S. I got mine through B&H for $499 in mid August, it was brand new in an unopened box. The software and instructions to update the STB can be found in this avsforum by searching for SIR-T150. That is how I found the SW and B&H dealer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This evening I downloaded the 1.15 version and had the same problem. I reapplied 1.6 and (of course) the problem is still there.

Since I downloaded software to the SIR-T150, I'll comment on my problems with this: I have Tivo which does have a DB9 to mini-plug cable. This cable is wired backwards from what it I needed (RX/TX at reveresed). So I had to make a run to Radio Shack to buy a DB9 NULL MODEM connector to switch them around. My second problem was the physical connection at the back of the SIR-T150. I had the download program "running" but nothing was happening, so I wiggled the mini-plug and it started working.

I've put pictures of the problem on my ftp server. If you connect using Internet Explorer or Netscape to
ftp://64.81.52.191 you will see what I'm talking about. I also uploaded the same software/files for updating the firmware on the SIR-T150 as I found in this forum.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well it's off to the repair shop it goes. I see many people have at least looked at my vid captures of the problem, but nobody's commented back in the post :-(

I also got from Samsumg a new software update, however I don't know what version it is or what it fixes. I've seen version 1.63 mentioned in another thread. This might fix the audio dropout/choppy issue. From my contact at Samsumg "The changes are subtle and you may need to delete any stations after re-mapping the channels. If you experience a locked signal without video, just delete the channel, and re-enter it."

If anybody wants this, I will post it on my ftp server, but only if somebody asks me.

BTW - I see several people trying to get in as http://, this won't work. You will need to use ftp:// in IE or Netscape.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

·
Registered
80 Posts
Mike, can't access your ftp site, ftp://64.81.52.191 , as of now 1:30pm. (Error: Could not connect to server.) Do you turn that machine off during the day? If not, then maybe it's my company's fire wall.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Mr_Li,

The system is up, I just accessed it from my work using IE5.

Sounds like it could be your companys firewall/proxy.

Mike

·
Registered
77 Posts
Mark,

I don't see what you're seeing, although I haven't seen the need to downgrade from 1080i to 480 p on my Sony HS10. Do you see this artifact in other modes?

Jim

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jim,

The short answer is no I don't see this in other modes, either in HD format broadcasts, or if I switch the resolution switch to 720 or 1080.

My SDTV only supports 480P input and I see these artifacts (if I can call them that) on both the component out and S-VIDEO out when the resolution select is set to 480x (p or i). Here's a copy of what I wrote to Steve at Samsung about the problem:

"I went through and I can now confirm that every broadcast that I receive in SD (assumed to be 480p) has these blocks/bars on the left side of the screen. I also went through and tested various settings of the SCREEN FORMAT and PILLAR BOX, FULL and ZOOM settings and can now report back the following:

- I normally run with the output selector switch set to 480p

- I normally run with SCREEN FORMAT set to 16:9 (as I have

a 16:9 Samsung SDTV model SLJ402W)

- I normally run with the format set to PILLAR BOX

It is on this combination of settings (480x + SCREENFORMAT 16:9 + PILLAR BOX) that I get the blocks/bars on both my SDTV and S-VIDEO outputs. If I change to FULL or ZOOM, I do not get these blocks/bars on either the TV or S-VIDEO. If I change the TV SCREEN SIZE to 4:3 I don't get these blocks/bars. I also tested switching the resolution output to 480i, 720 and 1080. 480i produced the same results/problem.

With the output set to 720 or 1080 on S-VIDEO, I did not get the blocks/bars. I an unable to see what happens on the component output as my SDTV can't accept 720 or 1080 input but I am assuming its okay."

I then downloaded the prior version of the software (1.15) in hopes of not seeing the problem, no such luck, it was still there. I then downloaded back 1.6 and the problem (of course) was still there (boy I was hoping for a software problem).

My thought was maybe everybody has at least a 720p TV and I am/was among the first to attach it to a 480p TV and discover this problem...

So it's back in NJ to be repaired and it arrived there Thursday. I know the name of the tech who is going to work on it and I plan to call then Friday. I want to make sure they can reproduce the problem in their lab/work area. I really don't want to hear - no problem found. I already had them look at the JPG's on my FTP server and, hum... they haven't seen this before. I'm hoping they just replace the main board and ship it back.

Mike

P.S. my DSL provider is currently having problems so my server may/may not be reachable. I had to (ugh) do 24,000bps dialup to post this.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
May I ask: what's your solution for recording the digital channels on the TiVo? Are you able to get the TiVo to change the channels, or do you have to do so manually? I'm thinking particularly about getting KQED (channel 9)'s digital feed on 30, and UPN (44)'s feed on 45 and such.

------------------

Mike Kobb

(Formerly "ReplayMike", but no longer affiliated with the company; these opinions are mine alone.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mike,

What I did was connect the SIR-T150 via component out to my TV along with one pair of audit L-R. I connected the S-VIDEO out to the TIVO S-VIDEO in along with the audio L-R cables. I also have the optical out going to my SONY receiver in case the program source is in 5.1. (I have way to many cables...)

Then, the next step is to configure TIVO and lie to it and tell it I have the DISK NETWORK. I had TIVO setup for CABLE without a CABLE BOX before I started.

Then I went in and unchecked all 500+ dish channels that I don't get and left just the major channels that DISH knows about from the SF BAY area like KGO, KRON, KPIX, etc al. For example KPIX is on channel 900 something, lets say 930 (don't remember what it is and I'm not home now to look).

So, it's 8:55pm now and CBS will be showing CSI in 5 minutes and I want to record this from the SIR-T150's S-VIDEO out. I'll get a good 480i resolution to the TIVO plus I will get (retain) the 16:9 format since I have the T150 set to 16:9 TV.

I then have to manually rotate the antenna (if necessay), change the STB to channel 29-1, then I can go to the channel guide on TIVO and change to channel 930 (or key it in) which will get the video signal from S-VIDEO. I can then manually hit RECORD.

The picture will be squished when recorded on the TIVO and fortunally, all I have to do is switch the TV to WIDE and boom, 16:9 format again in 480i. I looks pretty good...

In short, it's all manual. About the only thing that could be done is pre-stage the STB to already be on the proper channel and then instruct TIVO to record what's on channel 930 (KPIX) at 9pm Thursdays.

By having TIVO think it's getting this from the DISH network (or some other DISH like device), the program information such as title, description, start and stop times are correct.

Was any of this confusing?

Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.