AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Samsung SIR-T165 STB last week to receive HDTV OTA. Now I'm looking for a way to record programs.

The manual primarily mentions DVHS using the Firewire cable. However, it also says that it's possible to use an "AV-HDD". Specifically, on page 13, in the description of the Firewire port, it says :

"Use to connect external devices (D-VHS, AV-HDD, etc.".

Has anyone used any other device than a D-VHS deck to record HDTV ?

The option to use an AV-HDD (Audio/video hard disk?) seems more appealing than using a tape deck.

Also, I'm wondering if anyone tried it with a MiniDV camcorder using Firewire. I haven't tried myself with my Canon ZR70 yet because I don't have the right cable. I'm guessing the camcorder doesn't have a high enough data rate for HDTV, but perhaps it will work for SDTV, barring any encrption issues ?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I tried using my camcorder and the 165 would not recognize it. Right now only D-VHS. The HHD and DVD players will be able when they come out.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Despite what the user's manual says, the SIR-T165 will not work with an AV-HDD drive, only with D-VHS players.

-phil

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Phil - that is not correct.

The T165 works very well with the Apple AV-HDD software, and I am waiting for the Firebus WinXP software that presents an AV-HDD, and expect it to work.

If you read the Apple Firewire thread that is noted at the top of the forum you will see many many people use the T165 with it.

Chris

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
The Apple Firewire software is emulating D-VHS, so technically it's not AV-HDD. The end result is similar, but requires an Apple computer instead of just a special external hard drive.

- Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.