AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a Samsung SIR-T165, and I have been trying to record my local CBS affiliate's signal. Here is how I currently have things set up: SIR-T165 - via Firewire > JVC HM-DH40000U - via Firewire > Sony KD-34XBR2.

Whenever I watch the local HD feed via the T165 to the XBR2, I notice intermittent audio/video dropouts. When I record the signal to the JVC deck, and playback the tape via Firewire to the XBR2, I can also see the intermittent audio/video dropouts occurring in the same places as what I witnessed in the original broadcast. However, when I view the same tape via the JVC deck's S-Video connection, the dropouts do not manifest. Additionally, if I watch the live feed from the Samsung via composite video, I do not see any dropouts. For the record, the dropouts only occur on this particular HD station (the only other option for testing is the Fox affiliate, which is broadcasting in digital, but of course it's not so-called "true" HD), and from my experiments, only on the Firewire (digital) feed.

If I understand WSR's review of the T165 correctly, the Samsung is simply passing the MPEG2 feed that it receives OTA straight out the Firewire ports, without any signal manipulation. For verifying that the dropouts do not normally occur on the station's feed, I viewed the same station feed through the XBR2's internal HD tuner, as well as with my Zenith HD SAT520's tuner via component video connections, and I have not noticed any dropouts whatsoever from either tuner.

I've called the station, and their chief engineer is going to read through his MPEG books and give me a call back, but I wanted to see if anyone has experienced an issue like this.

My initial guess is that there is just some bad data being sent from the station's feed that is causing a dropout in the digital Firewire signal. It's obvious that the correct audio and video data is still making it through to the actual tape, but I can only assume that the JVC's and Samsung's analog audio and video outputs are less sensitive than the Firewire outputs to any data disruptions.

Ideas, comments?

P.S.- Just to verify that the DVHS deck is sending out a good feed via Firewire to the XBR2, I watched the T2 D-Theater tape last week without any a/v disruptions.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Quote:
If I understand WSR's review of the T165 correctly,

the Samsung is simply passing the MPEG2 feed that it

receives OTA straight out the Firewire ports, without

any signal manipulation.
Not quite. The T165 does a partial demux of the full 19.3

Mbps stream and only passes the packets from the tuned

sub-channel. Even if there's only one sub-channel, the

T165 still discards all the stuffing and PSIP packets

(and replaces them with empty packets on 1394).

In my testing if the T165, there's one station here in the

Bay Area where the 1394 output doesn't look quite right

timing wise (that is, I can't recover the system clock).

The only difference about this station (KPIX-DT) is that

it's one of the few that has only one sub-channel, and that

sub-channel is 18 Mbps.

So it's possible that the T165 is at fault. Unfortunately,

there's no easy way to verify this without the expensive

test equipment that I have. I also doubt you'll get much

help from the stations CE.

Ron

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The CE is actually a member of this forum! :)

If what I heard is correct, they are complying with the 19.3 Mbps stream with their signal, but they are not sending out any PSIP data.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I HAVE A SAMSUNG SIR-T165 OTA STB CONNECTED TO THE TV VIA COAXIAL.

(NOT USING FIREWIRE YET.)

I TRACED FREQUENT, VERY REGULAR AUDIO DROPOUTS ONLY AT CERTAIN TIMES TO THE AUTOMATIC ON/OFF CYCLES IN A SMALL HEAT PAD ON A CHAIR ABOUT 15 FEET AWAY BUT, BOTH ARE ON A COMMON A/C LINE. A MANUAL ON/OFF OF THE PAD CAUSED VIDEO PROBLEMS. SOMEONE ELSE HAS REPORTED PROBLEMS THAT WERE CAUSED BY A CEILING FAN.

·
Registered
353 Posts
SIR T-165 to JVC 30000 via firewire same problem here,

but much much worse on WBBM-DT CSI and CSI Miami feeds

particularly. Interesting that I set the recorder for 2 hours straight to record without a Trace and CSI back to back. Without a trace was flawless, while immediately following CSI was so blocked it was unwatchable.

Others having the same problem aslo seems to point to CSI episodes (in other parts of the country, so not local problem??).

I plan to try to consolidate them into one thread to find commonality.

Moderator, what would be the best way to consolidate them into one thread? Start a new thread with several links?

Thanks

CSI Miami recording last night was unwatchable again, yet I recorded 'Cold Case' wbbm-dt was flawless.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by edgp
I HAVE A SAMSUNG SIR-T165 OTA STB CONNECTED TO THE TV VIA COAXIAL.

(NOT USING FIREWIRE YET.)

I TRACED FREQUENT, VERY REGULAR AUDIO DROPOUTS ONLY AT CERTAIN TIMES TO THE AUTOMATIC ON/OFF CYCLES IN A SMALL HEAT PAD ON A CHAIR ABOUT 15 FEET AWAY BUT, BOTH ARE ON A COMMON A/C LINE. A MANUAL ON/OFF OF THE PAD CAUSED VIDEO PROBLEMS. SOMEONE ELSE HAS REPORTED PROBLEMS THAT WERE CAUSED BY A CEILING FAN.
So how did you fix it?

Is the STB that sensitive that we need to filter it's power completely?

Good info! :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.