AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,


I have 3 HD TV's within my home and all receive a Directv HD Signal ...


However, being the car nut that I am, I spend quality time in my garage on the weekends ... While in the garage I usually listen and occasionally watch sporting events over the air on a older non-HD TV ...


So, I was thinking of picking up a Digital TV Converter Box, but remembered that I have this Samsung SIR-TS160 (older Directv HD receiver with Over the Air Abilities) sitting in a closet somewhere ...


I plan to dig it out over the next few days and give it a try if you think it would work without being activated by Directv for service ... Just want to use it to display Digital Over the Air Signals and get my garage TV ready for Feb 17th ...
 

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
Joined
·
45,754 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got home and dug out the receiver ... fired it up and it started instantly ...


I'm getting about 8 or 10 over the air channels though it ... However, I can not get a normal picture through this box to the Standard Def. Television ...


I used via coaxial Video, Yellow RCA Video, S-Video, as well as the R/B/G Video ...


I can tell the picture is coming in great ... However, this box seems to want to display it in a very psychedelic sort of way ...


I guess this reviewer isn't intended to talk to the Stand. Def. crowd of TVs ... The OTA channels come in perfectly clear on my HD TV's ...


Anyone got any ideas to get this picture to convert down to Stand. Def ??? OR ... should I just get the DTV Converter Box ?


Thanks,

TIM
 

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
Joined
·
45,754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_in_NC /forum/post/15501081


Got home and dug out the receiver ... fired it up and it started instantly ...


I'm getting about 8 or 10 over the air channels though it ... However, I can not get a normal picture through this box to the Standard Def. Television ...


I used via coaxial Video, Yellow RCA Video, S-Video, as well as the R/B/G Video ...


I can tell the picture is coming in great ... However, this box seems to want to display it in a very psychedelic sort of way ...


I guess this reviewer isn't intended to talk to the Stand. Def. crowd of TVs ... The OTA channels come in perfectly clear on my HD TV's ...


Anyone got any ideas to get this picture to convert down to Stand. Def ??? OR ... should I just get the DTV Converter Box ?


Thanks,

TIM

The box was designed work with any standard TV, in addition to HDTV's.


You have one of two problems:


1) Last time the box was used, it was set for HD output, and the SD output is disabled. Solution is to hook box up to HDTV, go into menu and set for SD output.


2) SD output is bad. You could get it fixed, but I'd say just get a converter box.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H /forum/post/15504740


The box was designed work with any standard TV, in addition to HDTV's.


You have one of two problems:


1) Last time the box was used, it was set for HD output, and the SD output is disabled. Solution is to hook box up to HDTV, go into menu and set for SD output.


2) SD output is bad. You could get it fixed, but I'd say just get a converter box.

Thanks Ken ... That makes perfect sense ... It was used and set up for HD ... I'll hook it back up tonight to the HD Set and change ... Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H /forum/post/15504740


The box was designed work with any standard TV, in addition to HDTV's.


You have one of two problems:


1) Last time the box was used, it was set for HD output, and the SD output is disabled. Solution is to hook box up to HDTV, go into menu and set for SD output.


2) SD output is bad. You could get it fixed, but I'd say just get a converter box.

Hey Ken ... I went back into the box and the only things that you can change in the menu in relation to the Video is Screen Format (4:3 or 16:9 ... Full, Zoom, etc...) and then Select type of Dish or no Dish ...


All of the Video options are on the back of the receiver ... 480, 720, 1080 ...


I set the back of the box to 480 and then connected via S-video to a Standard Def. TV and still have the funky psychedelic picture ... Any other ideas or things I could be missing within the Receivers Menu Screen?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe I need to start all over with the initial installation that the receiver does on power up ... but use one of my valid HD cards in the receiver and see if this straightens anything out ???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It appears my box is defective ... or at least, that's what I'm concluding ... I can get a perfect OTA picture when the rear of the box is set to RBG or DVI and connected to an HD Television ... However, when using the Y,S-Video, or Coax Video, I get a completely Greened out with Funky sporadic Color Screen ... No matter what setting I change ... and no matter if the box is connected to a Standard Def. Television or an HD Television ...


Wonder how hard this would be to repair ???
 

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
Joined
·
45,754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_in_NC /forum/post/15511866


It appears my box is defective ... or at least, that's what I'm concluding ... I can get a perfect OTA picture when the rear of the box is set to RBG or DVI and connected to an HD Television ... However, when using the Y,S-Video, or Coax Video, I get a completely Greened out with Funky sporadic Color Screen ... No matter what setting I change ... and no matter if the box is connected to a Standard Def. Television or an HD Television ...


Wonder how hard this would be to repair ???

Is there another switch to select between outputs?


Like I said above, just get a converter box. They go for about $60, and if you can get a coupon that reduces it by $40, and the reception will be much better/more stable. The Zenith / Insignia and Channel Master are good choices. See this topic: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1029256
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_in_NC /forum/post/15511866


It appears my box is defective ... or at least, that's what I'm concluding ... I can get a perfect OTA picture when the rear of the box is set to RBG or DVI and connected to an HD Television ... However, when using the Y,S-Video, or Coax Video, I get a completely Greened out with Funky sporadic Color Screen ... No matter what setting I change ... and no matter if the box is connected to a Standard Def. Television or an HD Television ...


Wonder how hard this would be to repair ???

I have that receiver and had it hooked up to old CRT TV with no issues. I was using composite out with the switch set at 480i/p. Maybe you should try to use the TV coax output on channel 3 or 4 before you try a repair or buy a box.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVfan /forum/post/15525897


I have that receiver and had it hooked up to old CRT TV with no issues. I was using composite out with the switch set at 480i/p. Maybe you should try to use the TV coax output on channel 3 or 4 before you try a repair or buy a box.


Tried with coax ... same results ... I just gonna pick up a Digital Converter Box ...
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top