AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm torn between buying an HD200 or an SIR-TS160. I've owned Sony Receivers in the past and have been very happy with them. I'd like to upgrade simply so I can see DirecTV's three HD channels.....it's all that's available in my area for HD:mad: on my new DLP. I like the price of the Samsung and it's all that's available locally now but I like the look of the Sony better, darker finish and front panel display. What I'm confused about is the possibility of a front display on the Samsung......I was watching a show about CEDIA on HDNET and they had what looked like a SIR-TS160 with a front display.....the housing was identical. Later when I looked at the 160 myself I noticed a see through area of the front fold down door, behind the see through area is a knockout panel on the front face of the unit.............as if for a front panel display. Does anybody know if this thing has a display oversea's or something? Not that it much matters here. Does the Sony have the same problem with the image being shifted as the Samsung? I know it's listed here several times already but if somebody could list the benefits / issues with both I'd appreciate it. One thing I hate is that the Samsung doesn't offer RF remote capability.....does the Sony......both of my older Sony receivers have this feature.

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
I believe the TS160 shares the same chassis with the TS165 OTA tuner, which may?? have a front panel display...

Neither the Sony nor the Samsung have RF remotes. Note though that you can use a whole-house infrared repeater system with (IMO) better functionality (look at Xantech's XtraLink).

Jeff

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.