AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this unit two weeks ago at best buy and love it!

HDTV tuner - EXCELLENT!

Funny thing, none of the expensive antenna's work worth a crap (in Houston). I ended up using a cheap pair of rabbit ears and got better reception than an expensive Terk or that79$ radio shack joke of an HDTV antenna....

DON’T LISTEN TO ANY SALESMAN WHEN BUYING AN HDTV ANTENNA, THEY DON’T KNOW WHAT THE HELL THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT. The only thing you can do is buy a couple of your own choosing and see if they work for you.

DSS Tuner - TOTALLY AWESOME!

This thing tunes faster than any unit I have ever owned. HDTV HBO looks spectacular and has no visible artifacts (53" HD set) that I can see. I am lazy and have not put up the oval dish with three LNB's. I get HD HBO off of the main satellite location.

-this may change soon I hear.

DVI

I plugged this unit into a 22" LCD DVI monitor running 720p, and man it brings a new meaning to the word crisp. Yes, the picture was slightly to the left for some odd reason and on most standard def channels I could see the close caption signaling on the top of the picture.

PROBLEMS

I had no lockups or funny error messages.

What is with the remote? You really have to aim that sucker at the tuner or it wont work. I haven’t tried leaving the front door of the unit down but I bet that shiny goofy looking window is for looks and doesn’t help pass infra red through it.....

The only HD goofiness is that some of the local HD stations programming data doesn’t show up correctly in the guide but I blame the station engineers here. They usually suck.

WISHES:

I wish it had caller ID name with number. I wish it would automatically timeout on the caller id so I didn’t have to find the remote and click 'ok'. I wish when I edited the channel lists that it used the channel icons. I wish that channels weren’t automatically added to my lists, it sucks when a 'home shopping channel' shows up unexpectedly.

·
Registered
59 Posts
kraemer,

How are you handling SD, and if upconverting via/sir-ts160, what do you think of the PQ?

Are you running any analog components (VCR for instance) thru it for deinterlacing?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On SD programming I let the Samsung letterbox the sides in grey. I am not running any other components through it. I dont have a VCR. :)

Most regular Joe people cant really tell the difference between DVD and regular Television, but when they see the HD feeds they get mesmerized. For some reason PBS's programming seems to be higher conrast and I cant get people to leave when they start watching the footage from Europe....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.