AVS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guess no one else is watching this new show on USA, or they find it so bad it's not worth commenting on.

Either way, I figured I start it off because while juvenile I think it's quite funny. Think Rescue Me with EMTs. Now, I'm sure someone will say it's nothing like Rescue Me, but with Denis Leary being behind this I definitely feel the presence. Being it's only a 1/2 hour long, it basically has all the humor minus the serious parts.

Oh, and the main female character is quite a looker. I'd go so far to say even gorgeous with those eyes.

Jessica McNamee

·
Registered
14,549 Posts
I concur, she has gorgeous eyes. The rest ain't bad either!

It is like an episode of Rescue Me if all the melodrama had been cut and they just left in the firehouse banter. The jokes and insults are extremely risque and I find it an odd choice for the relatively safe and sunny world of USA network. For that reason alone I don't think it will make it past one season. It shares similarities with Leary's other cancelled sitcom The Job. Another show that was out of place on ABC.

I do like the characters but I think they need to pull back on the barrage of sexual comedy cum bubble references. It just looks like they are trying too hard at this stage.

·
Registered
14,549 Posts
Even if the last episode was mostly a bunch of large penis jokes it definitely made me laugh. More so than the similar concept of Brooklyn Nine Nine does. Something about the tone off this show reminds me of Always Sunny and I really wish it was on FX were it would probably last longer.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I have only seen one episode but if definitely reminded me more of The Job, than Rescue Me (it even had Bill Nunn). I suggest anyone who likes this or Rescu Me should check out The Job.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
As a Chicagoan I like seeing the local exteriors and the references to real locations (though one that had a street address rather than a neighborhood, an area, a park, a landmark, or an intersection, gave an impossible address, clearly intentionally).  But it really grates to hear the New York regionalisms in the dialogue.  "Soda" and "precinct" have different meanings here, and there are different words for what they're calling "soda" and "precinct."  There are some others I'm waiting to hear that haven't turned up yet but surely will.

But maybe that's not so bad as being half-assed about it, like "The Home Court."

Edit: I wrote the above before "Famous Last Words" aired; it included a second impossible-on-purpose street address, this time with even a nonexistent street name.  But as above, I appreciate the point of that and am not objecting to it at all.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That wasn't my favorite of episodes, but my God on Jessica McNamee in that yoga outfit.

Lenny Clarke definitely lost a lot of weight since the last time I saw him on Rescue Me. Makes you wonder if he's sick or if he just had enough being overweight.

·
Registered
14,549 Posts
Didn't Lenny Clarke lose the weight while he was on Rescue Me? I know i've seen him in a few things since, like the Larry David HBO movie thing and he was the skinny version then.

This week went in almost exactly the opposite direction of the last few episodes. It was pretty tame and sentimental compared to the sex gags and insult humor of the previous. So not that funny, but the characters are still watchable. Hopefully they can get the mix working so they can find the right balance between father/son bonding and giant horse penis.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn  /t/1522628/sirens-on-usahd#post_24513906

This week went in almost exactly the opposite direction of the last few episodes. It was pretty tame and sentimental compared to the sex gags and insult humor of the previous. So not that funny, but the characters are still watchable. Hopefully they can get the mix working so they can find the right balance between father/son bonding and giant horse penis.

It definitely felt like they were going for the Rescue Me model here. 1/2 comedy and 1/2 seriousness.

So, since these three always seem to be attached at the hip, I wonder how long it will be before we see Adam Ferrara on this show. He, Clarke, and Leary all starred in The Job and then Rescue Me together. I wouldn't be surprised to see Ferrara show up here as well.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think it's safe to say that I would have absolutely no problem with it just being sex if the woman looked like that.

·
Registered
14,549 Posts
I'm glad they mentioned Seinfeld because that was the first thing I thought of when the episode started.

I really need to check out the original UK version somewhere to see how it stacks. That only lasted one season, I hope this at least gets a second season pickup by USA

·
Registered
14,549 Posts
This is by far my favorite new sitcom this season. It's less forced and more natural now and they've succeeded in making all the characters likeable and distinctive without being annoying.

As a spider hater I laughed at all the reactions this week. The practical jokes and being a dick to your friends for laughs is exactly the realism I can empathize with.

·
Registered
14,549 Posts
Renewed for season two. Looking forward to seeing it return for hopefully a longer run next year.

·
Registered
14,549 Posts
I think this show is one of the most underrated and unnoticed shows on television. While it is rarely hilarious it is consistently entertaining and all the characters are well-drawn and memorable. Even the guest stars from Leary's old shows fit in well during their occasional appearances.

USA is the wrong network for this show and I think this season will probably be the last.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
I am really enjoying the second season. They have gotten into a really good groove in terms of balance of the absurd and realism. I am not sure that USA is wrong network for the show, but I am not sure they doing the show a service by putting it on at this time of year. This seems like the kind of show that would do better in the summer where the comedy competition is not as strong.

I do agree the show deserves more attention.

·
Registered
14,549 Posts
I am not sure that USA is wrong network for the show, but I am not sure they doing the show a service by putting it on at this time of year. This seems like the kind of show that would do better in the summer where the comedy competition is not as strong.
Summer wouldn't help. USA are dumping all their comedy shows and all the fun shows they used to have because they want to be more "dramatic". At some point they decided they wanted to shift direction and try to compete with AMC and TNT.

This show is the last sitcom they have left. On another network it might get some support and better prospects.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
USA launched a sitcom in the same slot that Sirens a few months ago. I think Summer would help as it would be one of the few sitcoms of any kind running during that time period. Now it is one of many running out now. USA made a big bet on using Modern Family reruns as a way to lead into these original shows. I am not a Modern Family watcher so I am not sure how sound that idea was.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
"Playing House" is also supposed to return on USA this summer for a second season, so they're not completely done with comedies.

·
Registered
14,549 Posts
This just in! Breaking News!

From a month ago. So it's just breaking for me. :D

And ... canceled. Thanks USA for continuing to kill fun.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts