AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Just make sure that you understand its only for the life of the reciever. If you decide you want to upgrade in 2 years you need to re-buy a subscription.

For this reason I pay year by year and get a discount. I trade cars and all that and will probably be getting new recievers long before the lifetime sub would pay for itself.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I went with the annual subscription for the discount. I think Sirius will be around. Since the deal is tied to the receiver, it is not that great of a deal.

·
Registered
842 Posts
It is like a tivo lifetime. The only saving grace is for the rest of your life if that reciever dies you only have to pay 6.99 a month on all future subs up to three.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Do it in your car and the sub transfers with the car. Might be a selling point.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Stick with the annual payment.

You get a discount, and you are not tied to that one receiver forever.

You will, one day, want to change receivers(especially as they become more and more like portable little tivo's, having the ability to record hours of content and play it back at will. This is not too far in the distant future. I know the new SkyFi 2 for XM can record up to 30 minutes of content, but I am talking about having the ability to record like 40-50 hours of content, and that isn't too far off)

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I bit. The saving grace is huge though. The receivers can be fixed and if it dies within warranty you can transfer it to another receiver.

2 Questions Are the receivers the portable ones going to be that much better?

Also if you want to add another reciever they only charge you 6.99 a month. So your hedging your bets if you think you will have it for 10 yrs with 2 receivers then your going to win.

If your receiver lasts 3.5 yrs then your going to win. Because thats the breakeven pt and then switching to 6.99 a month for a few months after that and you'll be ahead.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Sorry to ressurect an old topic. (But at least I searched damnit!)

I had a guy who is SWEARING that Sirius lifetime service is transferable to different receivers. Does anyone know where it says (like in writing from their website) one way or the other for lifetime NOT being transferable (outside of the warranty of the receiver?)

Thanks!

-Allen

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by akm3
Sorry to ressurect an old topic. (But at least I searched damnit!)

I had a guy who is SWEARING that Sirius lifetime service is transferable to different receivers. Does anyone know where it says (like in writing from their website) one way or the other for lifetime NOT being transferable (outside of the warranty of the receiver?)

Thanks!

-Allen
As far as I know, only a pre-paid yearly subscription(or less) can be transfered to a new unit.

The best way to find out is to e-mail Sirius and pose your question. They will answer you within a couple of days.

Go to www.sirius.com and ask them, but I am sure it is ONLY for the lifetime of the receiver you have.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I did find confirmation in the Sirius terms and conditions of service that it is *NOT* *NOT* *NOT* transferable to a new receiver. Heres my post from another forum

OK, I looked into Sirius...

I suggest you look at section 5, heading "C", item #5 from the the Sirius terms and conditions:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius Terms and Conditions

4. Transfer Fee: If you wish to transfer your Subscription to a different Sirius Receiver during the term of a prepaid subscription or committed subscription period, we may charge you a transfer fee of up to $75.00. You may not transfer a lifetime Subscription to a different Sirius Receiver.

If you want to look yourself, it is at:
http://www.sirius.com/serviceterms

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
akm3,

I do know for a FACT that they DO NOT charge anything when transfering a prepaid subscription(one or two year) to a new unit.

Here is a copy of an e-mail I sent on that very subject. They changed their policy with regards o the $75 transfer fee(still NO transfer on a lifetime sub though):

Original Message Follows:

------------------------

I currently have an AUDIOVOX PNP2 unit and love it, but in the future I

will eventually buy a newer unit.

I was wondering if you are allowed to transfer a pre-paid subscription(

I paid for a 1 year subscription this past July and it runs out July 29,

2005.)

I read that you say you "may" charge a $75 fee for a transfer from one

Sirius unit too another. This is rather "vague". Either you do or you

don't.

I have read posts by others at Siriusbackstage.com that say they have not

heard of anyone being charged for a transfer of a pre-paid subscription

from unit to another.

But I decided to get it from the horse's mouth anyways.

Thank you in advance for your response.

That's a great question! At SIRIUS we appreciate the time you have taken

to contact us regarding your subscription.

Over the past year our policy on transferring subscriptions have

changed, this is the new policy:

If you paid for a years worth of service (meaning it is not a pre paid

from a car company) that service is yours. If you decide that you no

longer want or like your current unit, simply exchange it (purchase a

new one etc) and call us with the new ESN number of the radio. We simply

change the numbers within our systems and your new unit picks up where

the old one left off.

We are dedicated to providing quality service and customer satisfaction.

We encourage comments on how we can improve our service.

Sincerely,

Maggie

SIRIUS Customer Care Agent

Visit us on the web at www.sirius.com

P.S. This question was asked on Nov 29, 2004

·
Banned
474 Posts
If you have a lifetime subscription you can say your receiver was stolen, then you can get a receiver without having to get a new subscription. I personally wouldn't feel bad doing this since their policy is ridiculous.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jkv4
If you have a lifetime subscription you can say your receiver was stolen, then you can get a receiver without having to get a new subscription. I personally wouldn't feel bad doing this since their policy is ridiculous.
This is not a smart idea.

Most people would want to sell there current unit after they get a newer one.

If you say the one you had was stolen, the ESN on that unit is useless or the person who gets it will have received "stolen" property according to their records.

So unless you want to lose all of the money you paid to get that unit then by all means go ahead.

If not, sell it on e-bay(like I did), recoup some of the money, and move on.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Here is the e-mail I received about the lifetime sub from Sirius.

IT CANNOT BE TRANSFERRED TO A NEW RECEIVER. IT IS A LIFETIME SUB FOR THE LIFE OF THAT PARTICULAR RECEIVER. IF YOU SELL OR TRANSFER THE RECEIVER TO SOMEONE ELSE, THE LIFETIME SUB. STAYS INTACT, AND THE NEW SUBSCRIBER ONLY HAS TO PAY THE ACTIVATION FEE.

Also, the Lifetime sub. is being discontinued as of June 30, 2005 according to the e-mail. It will cease to exist at that point.

Sorry, I must have deleted the e-mail, but what I stated above is correct according to the e-mail I received.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I recently bought a 2005 Dodge magnum and put the DC receiver in it. I took them up on the Lifetime subscription because I got a year free from Dodge. Sirius applied my year free to the cost of the lifetime sub, so I basically just paid a little more than 2 years for the price of a lifetime. It will last long enough for my car.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I purchased my Sirius gear (portable with home and car docking unit) just before Christmas 2003. At the time, I purchased a $399 lifetime subscription. I went through several phone calls with several people at Sirius before activation. I don't recall what if anything I got in writing, but it was clear to me at the time: if the gear failed, or was stolen, I could indeed transfer subscription to another unit ( I was quoted $50).

I don't regret for one minute chucking out $399. I figured at the time it was about the same as 2 1/2 years of monthly fees.

If they came out with a "walkman" type of unit, I would not think twice about buying another lifetime sub (even at $499).

My 2 cents...:)

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Well what I'm told is that all lifetime subscriptions are for the device, but all other receivers will be charged @ 1/2 price a month after the lifetime service is purchased.

So if your unit dies in 2 years then the next one you get is subject to only 1/2 price the 6.99 price/ month

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.