AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had Dish Network for years. It has Sirius Radio on it, but I have never used it.

Now that I have a Harmony One, I set up an activity and programed in 24 stations that I like (much more user friendly-therefore it's actually getting used).

My question is this. Why are there only a few stations? I would have loved some of the News Channels, Commedy Channels, Howard Stern, and some Canadian Content.

The Sirius and Dish Network sites don't say anything about them not being there, nor does it give any info about how to get the missing stations. From searching the web (OK, Wikipedia) it looks like these should be available (not that Wiki is ever wrong).

Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond23 /forum/post/14188531

I have had Dish Network for years. It has Sirius Radio on it, but I have never used it.

Now that I have a Harmony One, I set up an activity and programed in 24 stations that I like (much more user friendly-therefore it's actually getting used).

My question is this. Why are there only a few stations? I would have loved some of the News Channels, Commedy Channels, Howard Stern, and some Canadian Content.

The Sirius and Dish Network sites don't say anything about them not being there, nor does it give any info about how to get the missing stations. From searching the web (OK, Wikipedia) it looks like these should be available (not that Wiki is ever wrong).

Any info would be appreciated.

I have XM and DirecTV.. And it's the same..DirecTV only broadcast the XM music stations, the stations XM owns and programs themselves..No MLB, no news, etc...

I'm not a lawyer but I'd guess for legal reasons Dish and DirecTV can NOT broadcast stations that XM and Sirius don't own or that they re-broadcast...Like CNN, the MLB and NFL channels, Fox, etc....

·
Registered
458 Posts
Dish/Direct sat radio was started to compete against other music distribution networks, such as Music Choice.

They make little on these services, so they don't give it all away, and only offer their own content, not licensed channels.

If you want the core of their music, you can get it, and it is at a much higher sound quality through satellite TV. However, if you want Sirius or XM exclusive programming, or programming offered by 3rd party broadcasting companies (ESPN, CNN etc..), you need to pay for it so that everyone gets their slice of the pie.

Plus, if all of these 3rd-party channels were piped into every sat-tv home, their cost would sky rocket, which would, as usual, come back to you through you dish bill, or sat radio would lose out totalloy to music choice on all platforms.

·
Registered
260 Posts
A lot of the XM original programming is actually on DirecTV... XMX, XM Live, Opie and Anthony and Ron and Fez, Oprah and one other that I can't think of. I know Sirius/Dish don't do the same.

MLB Home Plate used to be on, but not anymore. NHL Home Ice is now on the NHL Network (in HD no less) as well.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzitony /forum/post/14206884

A lot of the XM original programming is actually on DirecTV... XMX, XM Live, Opie and Anthony and Ron and Fez, Oprah and one other that I can't think of. I know Sirius/Dish don't do the same.

MLB Home Plate used to be on, but not anymore. NHL Home Ice is now on the NHL Network (in HD no less) as well.

Yeah because they are all XM programs...MLB HP is XM, it has nothing to do with MLB...XM also owns O&A show....

But the programs they don't own aren't on D*, and the only reason I can't think of is because of legal reasons...MLB games, CNN, Fox, etc..

So Sirius should be able to do the same...I can't think of a reason why Dish doesn't carry Stern's show since that's owned and programmed by Stern and Sirius... I would guess that's Sirius and Stern's call...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts