AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I turned on my sirius today channel Alt Nation and to my surprise it is now being censored. Sent an email to Sirius and got a reply..

Thank you for writing us here at SIRIUS. We appreciate your comments

about our censored music channels on SIRIUS. Due to our new partnership

with Sprint, some of our music programming lineup will now be offering

censored music. These channels include:

-Faction // Channel 28

-Alt Nation // Channel 21

-First Wave // Channel 22

-Hot Jamz // Channel 50

SIRIUS remains fully dedicated to providing an unparalleled variety of

music programming on our 65 commercial free music channels in virtually

every genre. Our channels are designed to please subscribers of every

listening preference.

So now begins the censorship of Satillite radio channels? If so I say so long as i listen to alt nation and faction mostly. Why pay to hear bleeps when i can listen to my fm radio and hear bleeps...

People pay for this music they know what they are getting into if you don't like the words dont listen.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm curious to see how far this goes. I don't think its to much of a big deal at this point..it is only cursing, and it wouldn't be a "bleep"...they do have radio edits of most popular songs. Interesting find though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It wasnt actually bleep but more of a digital sounding interference noise hehe. Although i do say it is a big deal why censor only a few channels and not them all? I mean its not like you cant change to any channel that isnt censored yet and hear the cursing. I bought into satillite radio because I believed they were diffrent, I am seeing now they are no diffrent than FM now. So whats next commercials? Now that sprint is a"partner" sounds like "sprint" is taking over the rules. Wonder how this will effect Stern's show

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I look at it this way. If satellite radio begins to become more and more like regular terrestrial radio, or if they raise the monthly sub to some ridiculous level, or if they take all the uncensored stuff and place it on a premium tier or the like, I'm gone.

That's it. No more of my pesos for satellite radio. I love Stern, and the current content, but they can go too far, and cause me to fold my tent and leave.

Also, they did not seem t list any of the urban stations, which seemed weird. Shady45, or any of the uncensored rap, which by the way is super violent sometimes in it's lyrics(sometimes) and language, but none of them were listed. Very odd.

It seems strange to me that satellite(or any pay service for that matter) could not sue and win over censorship. I mean, we are talking about a PAY service here. I am by no means a lawyer, but it seems pretty clear cut to me. Also, these units have there own built in V-chip like services(at least my Audiovox PNP2 has it) where you put a code lock on any channel, or channels, you want. These units will protect the children from the evil they so-called spew.

If this is starting to happen, God help us. How long is it before certain magazines, ideas, or whatever become to be viewed as threatening? No matter what side of the fence one falls on with any issue, we are all screwed. What may not be considered subversive today by this administration, could be viewed that way by a future one(like I said, it does not matter which side of the fence you fall on. Liberal/Conservative, Pro-choice/Pro-Life, Gun Control/Right to Bear Arms, etc...).

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELERSRULE
I look at it this way. If satellite radio begins to become more and more like regular terrestrial radio, or if they raise the monthly sub to some ridiculous level, or if they take all the uncensored stuff and place it on a premium tier or the like, I'm gone.

That's it. No more of my pesos for satellite radio. I love Stern, and the current content, but they can go too far, and cause me to fold my tent and leave.

Also, they did not seem t list any of the urban stations, which seemed weird. Shady45, or any of the uncensored rap, which by the way is super violent sometimes in it's lyrics(sometimes) and language, but none of them were listed. Very odd.

It seems strange to me that satellite(or any pay service for that matter) could not sue and win over censorship. I mean, we are talking about a PAY service here. I am by no means a lawyer, but it seems pretty clear cut to me. Also, these units have there own built in V-chip like services(at least my Audiovox PNP2 has it) where you put a code lock on any channel, or channels, you want. These units will protect the children from the evil they so-called spew.

If this is starting to happen, God help us. How long is it before certain magazines, ideas, or whatever become to be viewed as threatening? No matter what side of the fence one falls on with any issue, we are all screwed. What may not be considered subversive today by this administration, could be viewed that way by a future one(like I said, it does not matter which side of the fence you fall on. Liberal/Conservative, Pro-choice/Pro-Life, Gun Control/Right to Bear Arms, etc...).

Your right. They're supposed to say and think what ever they want without fear of cencorship. If they do pursure this, I'll bail too. :mad:

·
Registered
83 Posts
The bottom line here is that it's four stations. They will wind up being the ones offered on the sprint/sirius service. Shade45 would not be offered on this service for obvious reasons. The stations that are now censored are for the most part generic music stations..although First Wave is a speciality station, maybe it's there cause the 80's are so damn big now. I don't think you'll see something like Hard Attack would be offered on Sprint, so it will not get censored..which is fine by me.

If it stays the way it is, I'm not hurt..Faction is garbage, and alt nation is to much like a regular rock station. I prefer the genre stuff.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELERSRULE

The Sirius response seems to attribute their decision to their partnership with Sprint, not any government mandate. Did I miss something?

As far as has been presented here, they made a decision based on business considerations, not government decree. Let's not mix things up by pretending otherwise. Terrestrial radio should be governed by 'we the people' since we own the airwaves. Pay radio, like pay cable, operates to a different set of rules and has much more freedom. The best way to show Sirius the error of their ways is to let them see a hit in their revenue stream as subscribers drop the service to protest this decision. That will absolutely get their attention.

Government censors. Businesses make decisions based on their bottom line. This is a business decision, not censorship.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So you are saying that Sirius is going to start offering, say "packages" on a sprint offered price? Meaning those people will only be able to listen to the selected channels in their sprint package?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Slightly off topic -

One of the privileges of briefly living in the state of Illinois is that I got to hear the uncensored version of "What it's like" from Everlast played on terrestrial FM. Hasn't happened in California or Florida.

·
Registered
53 Posts
To me, that’s really disturbing. I’m not really a fan of profanity, and in general wish people would abstain from using it. But sometimes, well, artist like to use it in their music for whatever reason and to modify the music just seems wrong.

There are a lot of reasons why I chose to subscribe and pay for Sirius. Primarily it’s due to the programming (The three NPR feeds and the NFL broadcasts being the major ones). Since subscribing, I’ve found a number of things I didn’t even know I wanted, like the weather/traffic channels for different cities and the BBC feed. I look at these as bonuses. I find I don’t listen to the music feeds that often, since I don’t really care for the sound quality, but when I do it’s usually to Left of Center, Alt Nation and First Wave. I’m not a fan of Howard Stern; to me, he’s a vulgar simpleton who makes a living with potty humor. But I realize a lot of people find him entertaining, and so as long as I don’t have to pay more for him being on the channel lineup or he doesn’t preempt any of the programming I enjoy, it doesn’t really effect me one way or the other. (If you don’t like it, change the channel, and with Sirius there are plenty of other channels to choose from)

On the surface, I don’t care that much that they’re censoring two out of the three music channels I listen to the most, but it’s the principal that irks me. Regardless of their intentions, the message I’m hearing is “We know you pay us money to hear uncensored commercial free music. But a business partnership with Sprint is more important to us then our customersâ€. This isn’t enough for me to run out and cancel my Sirius subscription, but it is an indication that Sirius might be headed in a direction where short term profits become more important then customer satisfaction. Time will tell.

I should note that I might be a little biased; I’m also subscribe to Sprint as my mobile phone provider, and while their technical service is acceptable, their customer service has been abysmal. I’ll be much happier when my contract expires and I can move to a more customer friendly phone company.

HT: Yamaha RX-V800, Paradigm Reference Studio 80, Paradigm Reference Studio 20, Paradigm Reference Studio CC-470, Panasonic DVD-F85, RCA DVR40, BenQ 46-W1

BR: Yamaha RXV-592, Klipsch KSF 10.5, Klipsch KSW 100, Phillips DVD 711, Samsung SIR-TS360, Denon DCD 425, Phillips 30PW850H, Radio Shack 15-2133 Kameleon

Mokemobile: Kenwood Excelon HDC-X679, MB Quart Premium PCE 213, MB Quart Discus DKE 169, JL 10W0 (2), Kenwood Excelon KAC-X541, Kenwood Excelon KAC-X621, Kenwood KTC-SR902

My DVD collection

·
Registered
619 Posts
I'm really disappointed in Sirius for this censorship. They gave in to the corporate bigwigs. Being a lifetime sub it looks like I'm SOL in trying to cancel. What's next? Censoring Howard when he comes on??

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ok i bought into sat radio for just this reason i wanted to get away from some one telling me that i can not listen to a song as it wsa intended casue it does not meet their morals. This is why i pay for radio is so they play the real song and in digital quality, but i agree is this is how sat radio is gonna go them am gonna go back to internet radio. I will just go back to my ipod i bought sat radio to expand my horizons and hear more music i would like to own or love to hate, but i did not buy in for a FCC style slash and grab on the music. Ok i know sounds like a rant but can they not push there vaules on me in every way now my pay service what next censors walking around

·
Registered
83 Posts
The people complaining are making this a MUCH bigger deal than it really is. Not all Sirius stations are uncensored. It's always been like that. They play radio edits of songs that contain profanity. They are not removing songs or refusing to play anything...4 stations will just be playing radio edits, so what.

Someone above mentioned how Sirius is backing down to a big company ( I assume they meant Sprint). Sirisu is a big compay, is it not??? They are just making more options for the people who will be subscribing through Sprint. Stop making this into some first amendment nonsense.

·
Registered
53 Posts
It’s not a “first amendment issue†(no government body is trying to tell Sirius what they can or can’t do), and it’s not a “bowing down to big business†issue (this is a stipulation for a partnership). And, really, it’s not even a big deal that the music is censored.

But it’s still bothersome. It’s not so much what they’re doing as it is why they’re doing it. In other words, if a large group of Sirius subscribers complained about the naughty language on a particular channel and Sirius decided to censor it, I’d have no problem with it; a company is simply meeting the demands of their customers.

But this is something else; this is Sirius changing the nature of the programming (for the worst, in my opinion) not to meet customer demands but to meet a requirement in a partnership with another company. As a customer, I feel a little betrayed when programming decisions are made based on what an outside third party wants and not what the customer wants.

What made satellite radio attractive in the first place was the lack of radio advertisements. This is great because radio advertisements annoy most people. It’s also great because the parent broadcasting company (Sirius) doesn’t have to deal with the wishes and desires of other companies; their revenue comes exclusively from their listeners, so their listeners are the only people they have to worry about satisfying.

A few months ago, I was showing off my car system to some friends. I was flipping through some of the Satellite radio stations, and came to Alt Nation. They were playing the extended, uncensored version of Rage Against the Machine’s “Killing in the Name Ofâ€. While I tend to shy away from profanity as a general rule, this is one of those songs where the use of the “f†word works; the censored radio-edit version takes away a lot of the punch and power of the piece, leaving it bland and impotent. My friends were impressed, as they’d never heard the song played as it was intended outside of their own record collections or at the club.

My friend James turned to me after the song was over, and said something to the effect of “That’s really cool that they don’t have to worry about offending anyoneâ€, to which I replied “Yeah… they don’t have to answer to anyone but the listeners†It impressed my friend Mike so much that he got Satellite radio for his own car (he went with XM, since he’s an Alpine nut).

But what their saying in this particular case is that programming decisions *can* be influenced by other companies. This begs the question “If the customer base is not the exclusive force behind programming decisions, why am I paying them money? There’s plenty of traditional FM radio stations out there that will put the wants and desires of the listeners second to the demands of other companies.â€

Again, by itself this really isn’t a big deal. It’s not something that will prompt me to run out and cancel my Sirius subscription. However, as a symbol for Sirius’ priorities, it’s disturbing. They’re treading dangerously close to a slippery slope where deals with other companies are sufficient justifications to alter the Sirius programming. Once that mindset has been reached, it’s not a far stretch to start making more significant changes based on the wishes of “partner†companies instead of the wishes of the subscriber base.

As a side note, does anyone have a link to the specifics of the Sirius/Sprint deal? I’d be curious to know exactly what it entails.

HT: Yamaha RX-V800, Paradigm Reference Studio 80, Paradigm Reference Studio 20, Paradigm Reference Studio CC-470, Panasonic DVD-F85, RCA DVR40, BenQ 46-W1

BR: Yamaha RXV-592, Klipsch KSF 10.5, Klipsch KSW 100, Phillips DVD 711, Samsung SIR-TS360, Denon DCD 425, Phillips 30PW850H, Radio Shack 15-2133 Kameleon

Mokemobile: Kenwood Excelon HDC-X679, MB Quart Premium PCE 213, MB Quart Discus DKE 169, (2) JL 10W0, Kenwood Excelon KAC-X541, Kenwood Excelon KAC-X621, Kenwood KTC-SR902

My DVD collection

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathighgate
But this is something else; this is Sirius changing the nature of the programming (for the worst, in my opinion) not to meet customer demands but to meet a requirement in a partnership with another company. As a customer, I feel a little betrayed when programming decisions are made based on what an outside third party wants and not what the customer wants.
There's no possible way you can be serious with this comment, or I'd like to know on which planet you've been living. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
540 Posts
Folks, it is called freedom, the freedom of Sirius to program whatever they see fit. They do not have to give anybody an explanation.

If you don't like it then don't use their services.

This strange idea of customer entitlements :confused:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Man I was planning on getting one for my girlfriend for her birthday.

·
23,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Fanatic
Does XM have censored music channels?
The channels that contain "explicit lyrics or language" are marked/denoted as such, usually with XL in the channel name. The content on the other channels is not changed (that I know of) they just don't put XL content on non-XL channels.

WRT to the Sprint/Sirius deal (which, BTW, Sirius is "tiny" compared to Sprint) does Sirius play the songs that are censored on the Sprint channels uncensored on some other channel?

larry

·
Registered
803 Posts
I started my own thread with an email I sent to customer service. I have decided to cancel my account. It seems that half of the hiphop stations I listen to are now being censored.

Warning: No anti-semitism meant in my following comment and if you are thin-skinned dont read further please.

The people here that say "its only 4 stations, no big deal"... in WW2 people were saying "its only the Jews, no big deal. " Trust me guys, 4 channels is only the beggining. Eventually it will be 8, then 12, and then all of them. What happens when Ford (or insert big name manufactuer) says "Hey sirius we wont put your radio in our family sedans unless you censor them" Changes dont occur overnight, they occur gradually. If you disagee with the change, you need to stop it before it gets to the point where you cant.

The reality is that they advertise as UNCENSORED MUSIC, even to this day on their front webpage. Thats a lie. Its now false advertising and I sincerely hope someone with lots of time and legal skill starts a class action lawsuit as it would be an easy win.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.