AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had Sirius in my car for about 4 months and I'm getting tired of signal losses. I have a sat. ready Alpine CD player, Sirius antenna and tuner installed by Tweeter in my 2004 Pontiac Vibe.

I live in So. Maine and commute to Boston for work. What I can't understand is I can be driving down the highway with clear line of sight and lose the signal in almost the same locations. Then I drive thru a tunnel (1/4 mile long) to get on the Tobin bridge and not lose the signal!

There are other areas that I lose the signal that aren't wide open but I lose the signal anyway, but other areas that are worse and the signals fine. The signal losses happen at the same places all the time whether its near my house or around Boston. I've tried moving the antenna around but it doesn't help. Is this more of a problem in the northeast than other areas of the country? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Bill

·
Registered
27 Posts
sounds like your area is jut not perfect for the moving sattilite aproac sirus takes. The extreme angle to the sat changes by location cause u and the sat are moving. With sirius not having a large amount of repeaters you are at a loss of signal when sat angles are to great for even the sirius omi antena to compensate for.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Most likley, since it happens at the same spot, is that there is a microwave beam going accross your path --- some frequencies will interfere with the signal.

Boston has a terestrial repeater, so some tullels you get the terestrial reception vs. the sat. (Note: the repeater does not penetrate the teddy williams tunnel!)

Maine to bean town??? Thats a long commute!

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your help with my questions.

Bill

·
Registered
729 Posts
Its common that certain areas will drop the signal, no matter what the weather is like, even if its in the open. Mine does it to, I can almost tell when its just about to drop in the same 3 locations.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thearrow
sounds like your area is jut not perfect for the moving sattilite aproac sirus takes. The extreme angle to the sat changes by location cause u and the sat are moving. With sirius not having a large amount of repeaters you are at a loss of signal when sat angles are to great for even the sirius omi antena to compensate for.
Glad you mentioned that about the repeaters. I've pondered switching to Sirius. I noticed from my new home kit that the sat & repeaters are almost the same strength, and going cross country sounds like it's also a plus having XM.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.