AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I was looking for ways to download Howard Stern's daily shows podcast style to my PC; but, can't seem to find a good way to do it.  DAR.FM looked encouraging, but it looks like it's method of accessing the show is sketchy.. and, a little fishy since it doesnt even ask for my siriusXM account.

I've found some web browser based recorders; but, didn't find anything that looked like it was maintained too well.  Anyway, hoping someone can suggest a small light weight app that can reliably download/record my shows in a common audio format.

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

HUH?  I already have a subscription.  Just to be clear, I was looking for a 3rd party way to record what I'm entitled to listen to.  He would get paid either way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ  /t/1470570/sirius-radio-pc-dvr/0_20#post_23259989

Good luck. They want you to pay for having him on, he costs them a fortune. The only way I can think of is with one of the fancy SiriusXM recording radios that are available now.

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
That's my point. Good luck finding a third party way to do it. They don't want any third party apps recording them.

Kind of like saying I'm entitled to watch my CopyOnce programs on any PC since I pay for the subscription. But I can't.

At least you have the option to save them in analog, or send from a mini-jack to a computer. Can't even do that with CopyOnce programs.

I use one of the Plug N Play radios for my subscription, so my options are a little more broad.

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I want to audio file to stream/download on my PC.  All my audio files are already available remotely on any of my remote devices.  I already have enough portable devices to carry around.  But thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ  /t/1470570/sirius-radio-pc-dvr/0_20#post_23260101

Here's the radio I was talking about. You can use it like a DVR.

http://shop.siriusxm.com/xm/ctl10600/cp49759/si5765862/cl1/siriusxm_lynx_wifi_enabled_portable_radio

I love having a plug n play radio, I can take it anywhere. I have a boom box for use by the pool, and a dock in each of my cars. That way I only need one subscription for multiple places.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I don't think you'll like my answer any better than Tornado's, but if you're not a lifetime member like me, you can just get an internet subscription and I believe Sirius already has what you're looking to do. And you can probably use their mobile app as well with the same access. I don't listen to the Howard Stern or his channel, but here is list of the current episodes they have available right now: linky .

The only other option I can think of, and it's not a great by any means, you could use the line-in recorder on the PC. Windows has some little recorder software. Just use a 3.5mm male to male cable. One end goes into the PC, the other your Sirius or XM radio; all my plug and play radios have 3.5mm jacks in the back so one doesn't have to use an FM transmitter. Then you just hit the record button to start and stop when the show starts and ends. It is crude, but it will work. You'll just need to rename file to add your metatags.

I can't think of a way for it to automatically start/stop like a DVR. I'm sure there maybe a program to do some kind of time setting. But this, you'll need an extra at your PC if you want to still listen to Sirius/XM while out and about.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Personally, I have two plug and play radios with life subscriptions. But I've had my subscriptions so long I'm grandfather for the internet access, which was included when I got the plan. I get lower bit rate feed, and no live games. I get all the music and most of the talks shows. For me, ti's fine since I'm only trying to listen to the NFL channel for the last hour at work on my phone. The Sirius mobile app isn't available for people who have my internet access. And if I upgrade, I can't go back. I'm not paying an additonal, up to, $15 a month for about five to ten hours of listen time. I don't believe it would cost that much. I believe it's around $5 a month, but I got lifetime subscription so I didn't have a monthly bill from them any more. I paid $1200 is lifetime subscription fees already.

On a side note, I'm still annoyed that MLB games are not available on the Sirius side. I don't really get this company and this business model since the merger with XM. On the consumer side, they operate like two different companies, especially in regards to sports.

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Yes, I have a lifetime subscription.  The Howard Stern show is actually my alarm clock.  However, I don't wake up earlier enough to hear the show from the beginning.  Plus, I wanted a way to continue playing back the rest of the show on my PC.  Unfortunately, the On Demand feature isn't very useful for this kind of purpose. Hence, why I was looking for an HTPC-DVR like app.

What I was really hoping for was something like: SiriusXMStreamer ; which was abandoned early this year.  Since I started this thread it looks like my only practical options are limited to either a clunky automated recording of web-browser launch/kill session using Sirius Radio Recorder ; (which is pretty lame).  Or buying a cheap external hardware playback device which my PC will record via analog input using SXRecorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekeiiy  /t/1470570/sirius-radio-pc-dvr/0_20#post_23261230

I don't think you'll like my answer any better than Tornado's, but if you're not a lifetime member like me, you can just get an internet subscription and I believe Sirius already has what you're looking to do. And you can probably use their mobile app as well with the same access. I don't listen to the Howard Stern or his channel, but here is list of the current episodes they have available right now: linky .

The only other option I can think of, and it's not a great by any means, you could use the line-in recorder on the PC. Windows has some little recorder software. Just use a 3.5mm male to male cable. One end goes into the PC, the other your Sirius or XM radio; all my plug and play radios have 3.5mm jacks in the back so one doesn't have to use an FM transmitter. Then you just hit the record button to start and stop when the show starts and ends. It is crude, but it will work. You'll just need to rename file to add your metatags.

I can't think of a way for it to automatically start/stop like a DVR. I'm sure there maybe a program to do some kind of time setting. But this, you'll need an extra at your PC if you want to still listen to Sirius/XM while out and about.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
WMC already has a built in "DVR" for FM radio. I guess, if you wanted to, and had a really old radio like mine, which turns on FM transmitter when you pull the "audio out" plug, you could get a PC FM tuner, place it near the Satellite radio, make sure it is tuned to the channel that Sat radio is broadcasting on, then set the time when to start recording, and when to stop, and just leave Sat radio on at all times.

I have a really old Delphi radio that has a built in FM transmitter that I bought at a garage sale for $5 with lifetime subscription. The wheel does not work, so you have to use the number buttons, and it is really beat up, but it works!

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Thanks, but the audio quality via the FM transmit method is REALLY bad, at least for me. I'm used to listening to it at it's original quality via Internet streaming.

I'm currently trying to automate recording it via web browser.  The only thing I haven't figured out is how to automatically press the "Login" button in the web based flash player, the rest, I know how to do.  Firefox's iMacro plugin doesnt seem to record pressing that Login button.

https://www.siriusxm.com/player/#view=login

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod  /t/1470570/sirius-radio-pc-dvr/0_20#post_23262668

WMC already has a built in "DVR" for FM radio. I guess, if you wanted to, and had a really old radio like mine, which turns on FM transmitter when you pull the "audio out" plug, you could get a PC FM tuner, place it near the Satellite radio, make sure it is tuned to the channel that Sat radio is broadcasting on, then set the time when to start recording, and when to stop, and just leave Sat radio on at all times.

I have a really old Delphi radio that has a built in FM transmitter that I bought at a garage sale for $5 with lifetime subscription. The wheel does not work, so you have to use the number buttons, and it is really beat up, but it works!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts