·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Actually I just went to siriusbackstage and looked at it, I didn't know about that website.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
It appears that this thing not really a portable Sirius receiver. It's a Sirius receiver, that needs to be plugged into a docking station in order to receive Sirius programming. While pluggeing the docking station, programming can be recorded to the portable component, which can store up to 50 hours of programming. The portable unit can also store MP3 and WMA files.

When disconnected from a docking station, it can only play previously recorded programming.

The base MSRP is $360 and comes with a auto docking station. A home docking station will cost an additional $100.

Here's an article from Reuters and here's the press release

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
I myself will also go over to Sirius Backstage to read about this, but this is EXACTLY what I was waiting for from either XM or Sirius.

Hopefully it will live up to what it is supposed to do.

Although I think the price is a little steep. $360 for the car and unit is a little nuts IMHO, but the home dock starting at $99 is really crazy. A bit of fleecing by Sirius?

I think I will wait until the spring(or next summer) until the price comes down and then switchout my Audiovox PNP2.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELERSRULE
I myself will also go over to Sirius Backstage to read about this, but this is EXACTLY what I was waiting for from either XM or Sirius.
It's an MP3 player with a direct interface to a Sirius receiver. Why have you been waiting for this? You can already accomplish the same thing by recording the Sirius or XM online stream and downloading it to a regular MP3 player.

Why would someone want to spend $360 for a $150 MP3 player that interfaces with a $50 Sirius receiver?

IMO, for something like this to be worth anything, it needs to receive satellite programming when being used as a portable unit.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I agree with you Bill. What's the point of this thing unless you can receive the signal while you are wearing it?!!

Yeah, just record the programming at home, then transfer it to your IPOD.

I think everyone who wants to listen to Sirius (and specifically Stern) want to get the signal at work or on the subway. You would have to record his show while you are at work, then listen to it a day late. That's not cool.

JM

PS 460 bucks is too much for not getting the signal. Get a 60 GB IPod and save $

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Quote:
think everyone who wants to listen to Sirius (and specifically Stern) want to get the signal at work or on the subway. You would have to record his show while you are at work, then listen to it a day late. That's not cool.
Agreed...Since Sterns probably will NOT be broadcast online he's the only reason to buy this piece of equipment..But almost $500 to listen to Howie?? No one is that good...

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbie845
Since Sterns probably will NOT be broadcast online
I don't think that this will be the case. Stern has not been available online in the past because that would have hurt the value of his show in syndication. Since the show will now only be on Sirius, no syndication, why not include it in Sirius' online feed?

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Broderick
It's an MP3 player with a direct interface to a Sirius receiver. Why have you been waiting for this? You can already accomplish the same thing by recording the Sirius or XM online stream and downloading it to a regular MP3 player.

Why would someone want to spend $360 for a $150 MP3 player that interfaces with a $50 Sirius receiver?

IMO, for something like this to be worth anything, it needs to receive satellite programming when being used as a portable unit.
Bill,

Your missing the point of this unit for someone like me9and others). This unit helps get rid of the middle man you are reffering to. Connecting it FIRST to a computer, THEN DOWNLOADING it to a MP3 player to record Sirius content.

I guess you must do this all the time and carry around your computer to boot to record stuff( I guess NO ONE WORKS ANYMORE ;) and all they do is download MP3 content)

Anyway, this device helps avoid all of that(unless you want MP3 downloads off your computer). Now, like a TIVO or VCR, I can SET this thing to record Sirius content at ANYTIME, and it will record it, and then I can play it back at my leisure, whether at home, car, or on the go. That is AWESOME, and nothing yet compares to that. It avoids all that crap, and lets you record directly to the unit, and then play that content whenever.

Also the portable Myfi from XM(actually type of portable you can carry) are POOR(and this is being REALLLLLY GENEROUS) as far as reception is concerned. People constantly ***** about how poor reception is with these portables that you carry. They just don't work all that well in this regard(yet). Owners, Reviewers, whomever all agree that these portables SUCK with reception when walking around.

Now I will agree, the price is steep. But that is suggested MSRP. It would not shock me if when this thing hits the streets in Oct. that it will come in at $299(same as MyFi currently) or maybe $319 max. Also the home dock for $99 is nuts. The price point is definitely something to gripe about. Also I would have liked to see the unit combined with the home unit dock, as it seems this would be more appropriate as most recording wil be done, most likely, in the home dock, and not the car.

Also not knowing what the recorded material sounds like is going to be a wait and see, and this DOES worry me. I mean does this unit record a MAX of 50 hours, but at a low level? Are there different levels of recording like XP, SP, LP, etc... meaning that the higher the level the less time you get? This is something to look into.

Here is a link to SiriusBackstage about the unit and the upcoming Starmate as well:

Starmate:

http://www.siriusbackstage.com/forum...ic.php?t=26523

S50:

http://www.siriusbackstage.com/forum...ic.php?t=26683

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Quote:
I don't think that this will be the case. Stern has not been available online in the past because that would have hurt the value of his show in syndication. Since the show will now only be on Sirius, no syndication, why not include it in Sirius' online feed?
I don't know for sure. Most of the posts I've read about this topic people seem to think he will not be avaliable online. Right now Sirius and XM do not broadcast any of their talk channels online. Maybe because the talk channels have commercials? Legal reasons? Except XM does put O&A online. I'm not sure if their show has ads though,I've never listened to their show..

It is alittle weird how Sirius is being mum about this though...

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELERSRULE
Bill,

Your missing the point of this unit for someone like me9and others). This unit helps get rid of the middle man you are reffering to. Connecting it FIRST to a computer, THEN DOWNLOADING it to a MP3 player to record Sirius content.

I guess you must do this all the time and carry around your computer to boot to record stuff( I guess NO ONE WORKS ANYMORE ;) and all they do is download MP3 content)
I currently have my home PC set to record from the XM online stream every day while I'm at work. When I come home from work, I plug my MP3 player into the PC and transfer what I've recorded so that I can listen to it the next day.

This takes no more manual effort than the new Sirius unit will take. My connecting the MP3 player to the PC to transfer content that has already been recorded and is just waiting to be transferred is actually better than having to connect the Sirius unit to the home docking kit in order to record because the transfer of content that has already been recorded will take a lot less time than getting content onto the Sirius unit which will need to be in real-time.

My method only required the purchase of an MP3 player which is hundreds less than Sirius is charging to accomplish the same task.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbie845
I don't know for sure. Most of the posts I've read about this topic people seem to think he will not be avaliable online.
Every time that I've read this, the reasoning behind it has been that Stern has been anti-streaming for a long time. I addressed why he was anti-streaming in the past and why things are different now.

Quote:
Right now Sirius and XM do not broadcast any of their talk channels online. Maybe because the talk channels have commercials? Legal reasons? Except XM does put O&A online. I'm not sure if their show has ads though,I've never listened to their show..
I know that the reason that XM doesn't have their talk channels online is because they don't have online rights to those shows. The vast majority of the talk content on XM comes from broadcast stations with shows that may or may not be syndicated elsewhere. In those cases, the broadcast station that originally airs the show has the rights to stream those shows on the Internet.

Most of the shows that are on XM 151 (Extreme Talk) are available on an Internet stream, just not XM's Internet stream.

Opie & Anthony do have commercials. But very few. They really only have enough commercials to allow them to take short bathroom/coffee breaks every hour or so. During a 4 hour show, they may have a total of about 15 minutes of commercials.

I may be completely wrong about Stern being on the Sirius online stream. It's just my opinion that he will be. I don't see any logical reason why they would keep him off of it. Without Opie & Anthony being on XM's online stream, I would have had lots of problems being able to listen to their show in my house. As it is, I have an FM transmitter attached to my PC and am able to listen to them on any radio in my house. This has made XM much more valuable to me than if O&A were not part of the online stream.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Hey Bill,Bill here :)....I hear you. It would make sense for Howie to go online. It seems like 99% of the XM and Sirius online listeners listen at work since getting a sat signal at most work stations is next to impossible. So one would think to please his listeners Sirius would steam his show.

But it's funny how quiet both Howie and Sirius has been on this topic. No one seems to know for sure. Or wants to say. But then you got to wonder what this S50 is all about then? Why put out a portable that does NOT pick up a live sat signal. It only records Sirius from a docking unit?! Maybe I'm reading too much into this. Maybe Sirius just wanted to release a smaller unit then XM's MyFi, and they hope no one will care that they can't listen live...

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm wondering if Stern's show is online, if they think it might hurt the subscriber numbers. It would be so easy to pirate his show, that you would find it on every illegal file sharing site out there. Its bound to happen anyway, but will be 1000X worst if the broadcast is provided online already. The S50 incourages people to listen to the show a day later anyway, might as well save 13 bucks/month and dl it somewhere else.

JM

PS I'm a shareholder, so that's why I am wondering about this!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
All you need to do is buy a $35.00 pc tv/fm tuner card that you can schedule FM recording to mp3- Leadtek makes a good one. Almost all Sirus receivers have a FM transmitter built in- just get the home kit- set the pc card to record 88.5 (or whatever channel you set the transmitter to) from 6am to 10:00 every day and upload it later to your mp3 player. That is what I'm planning to do as I only have a 30 minute drive to work every day. I just wish Sirius would just offer a "Stern only" subscription- I really don't care about the music- that is what my mp3 player is for.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.