AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What cities have Sirius terrestrial repeaters? I live in San Diego and all of the bridges are killing me. I can't drive anywhere without losing the signal at least once or twice. Other than that, I love the service & programming. How do the radios work in cities that have the repeaters? Do you have to get a separate antenna? Or does the signal come in over FM? I don't get it. Also, are there any other satellite antennas that have higher gain that may help me, or all they all the same?

Skip

·
Registered
27 Posts
thanks to the atomic clock the signal is sent from the satt and the repeater at the exact same time to your car. the reciver in ur car has a 4 second buffer to keep incoming data. it works far better with repeaters in a city i have xm and the city i live in has a few repaters scattered threw out town. I would thin that a city of that size would have a sirius repeater.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would think that if any city would have them, San Diego would, but I have not had any luck locating a web site that lists the cities that do.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Here you go as of July 18th 2005....Since Sirius does not release a list of their repeater locations I'm not 100% sure if this is a complete list. But it's probably pretty close. I got this list from Siriusbackstage.com....

Alabama

* Birmingham

* Mobile

Arizona

* Phoenix

Arkansas

* Little Rock

California

* Hollywood

* Irvine

* Los Angeles

* Monterey

* Riverside

* Sacramento

* San Bernardino

* San Diego

* San Francisco

* San Jose

Colorado

* Denver

Connecticut

* Bridgeport

* Hartford

* New Haven

* Stamford

* Waterbury

Delaware

* Wilmington

Florida

* Ft. Lauderdale

* Jacksonville

* Miami

* Orlando

* Tampa

Georgia

* Atlanta

* Buckhead

* Duluth

* Gwinnett Center

* Norcross

Idaho

Illinois

* Chicago

Indiana

* Indianapolis

* Kokomo

Iowa

Kansas

* Wichita

Kentucky

* Lexington

* Louisville

Louisiana

* New Orleans

Maine

Maryland

* Baltimore

Massachusetts

* Boston

* Springfield

* Worcester

Michigan

* Ann Arbor

* Detroit

* Flint

* Grand Rapids

Minnesota

* Minneapolis

* St. Paul

Mississippi

Missouri

* Kansas City

* St. Louis

Montana

Nebraska

Nevada

* Las Vegas

* Reno

New Hampshire

* Manchester

New Jersey

* Clifton

* Trenton

New Mexico

New York

* Albany

* Buffalo

* New York

* Rochester

* Syracuse

* White Plains

North Carolina

* Charlotte

* Raleigh

* Winston-Salem

North Dakota

Ohio

* Akron

* Cleveland

* Cincinnati

* Columbus

* Dayton

* Toledo

Oklahoma

* Oklahoma City

* Tulsa

Oregon

* Portland

Pennsylvania

* Conshohocken

* Harrisburg

* Philadelphia

* Pittsburgh

Rhode Island

* Providence

South Carolina

South Dakota

Tennessee

* Knoxville

* Memphis

Texas

* Austin

* Dallas

* Fort Worth

* Houston

* San Antonio

Utah

* Salt Lake City

Vermont

Virginia

* Lorton

* Norfolk

* Portsmouth

* Richmond

* Tysons Corner

Washington

* Seattle

Washington D.C.

* Washington D.C.

West Virginia

Wisconsin

* Milwaukee

Wyoming

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting web site. How do you know if at any given time you are receiving the terrestrial signal or the satellite signal? Do all receivers and/or antennas have the capability to receive the satellite signal?

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I don't have Sirius anymore so I'm just speaking of my XM knowledge. All antennas can receive both types of signals.The older antennas use to have 2 connectors. One for satellite and one for terrestrial..Now the antennas have just one connector for both.. And in the case of XM's PNP's in the menu under antenna aiming it will tell you how many bars the unit is receiving via satellite or terrestrial or both...

·
Registered
7 Posts
SIRIUS is the same, old old units have two connectors, all newer ones use a single connector for both signals. On my radio, if i go into the menu thier is an "antenna aiming" option that give 2 bars -- one for SAT recption, and one for TER (terestrial) reception; I think all SIRIUS units have this mode/option somewhere, i'm not sure.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you want to see some messed up web sites, look at the Kenwood USA site. I don't have the manual for my KDC-MP222 any more, and I can't find a copy of it anywhere on the web. I went through every menu setting that I could find, and did not see a signal strength anywhere, nor do I ever remember seeing one. Somehow, I really don't think mine will receive the terrestrial signal. If it did, it wouldn't drop out all the time.

·
Registered
Construction debris
1,137 Posts
Based upon the behavior, it seemed like my old Blaupunkt America receiver simply didn't have the capability to use the terrestrial repeaters because it never worked, and that second satellite thing was flakey at best. The service doesn't seem to like it when I drive across roads made of concrete. Might be the rebar in the concrete, dunno. Ditching it for a Sportster was a great great help.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Mr Gibb....I assume you have a dedicated Sirius Kenwood tuner hooked to this headunit...If you do then your reception problems is probably the antenna.. I can't imagine Kenwood making a Sirius receiver that doesn't accept terrestrial signals...I have read where people have had reception problems because the antenna wire was crushed or crimped badly....

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I do have a dedicated Sirius receiver (thanks gpsjim :). It dawned on me today as I was driving to work that I don't think the problem would be with the head unit, but rather if there was a problem, it would wither be in the antenna or in the Sirius receiver. Unfortunately, I had my system installed at the store, and I don't even remember what receiver I have, but I think I will start troubleshooting down that route.

I also see that Jacksonville, FL is on the list of cities with terrestrial transmitters, and I remember also having trouble when I lived there six months ago. I am sure that my system has issues of some sort that need to be resolved.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey thanks for all the information. I have an older sirius receiver (sir-pnp2) with two antenna plugs satellite and terrestrial, but I just have my antenna plugged into the satellite and get terrestrial when I check my signal aiming under the menu. Will I get a better signal if I get a second antenna? Side note: does any one know where I can buy a boombox (Audiovox SIR-BB1) for my older unit? Thanks

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
how do the repeaters work? Do they have one big transmitter per city or are their piles of low power ones like cell phones?

Clifton NJ is Like 15 or 20 miles from NYC, so I assume the signal goes 10 or 20 miles?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.