AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new subscriber to Sirius (just this past weekend). I use the Starmate, with home docking station (funny...it's nothing but a metal stand! RIPOFF!) , and I have tried listening into my stereo system, through a headphone amp (Headroom), and direct to headphones from the Starmate. Conclusion? There's quite a bit of audible distortion on the music channels. IS IT MY UNIT, or has anyone else noticed this?

Rock and pop music channels sound QUITE aggressively processed...using tons of (audio not data) compression and multiband limiting, just like commercial fm stations, in order to sound LOUD. I'm not too much of a purist on this subject...the level changes on XM got on my nerves (I subscribed for 3 years). But audible harmonic distortion IS NOT TOLERABLE! I'm not talking about (lossy) compression artifacts. I now what they sound like. I'm talking about plain-old, butt-ugly harmonic distortion!

I'm swapping my Starmate for a Sportster, just to make sure it's not the unit (or type of unit). Anybody else notice distortion on Sirius?

·
Registered
271 Posts
It's got to be your unit. I've got a Kenwood home unit with digital connect to my stereo and it sounds pretty good. Not as good as FM but close.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too have a Starmate and decided to hardwire an audio line to the CD input on the front of my car stereo. I was hoping to hear better audio quality, but instead the audio was distorted (much like it was over-driven). I couldn't get rid of it no matter what combinations of volume settings I was using. When using the FM transmitter into the car stereo, the distortion is non-exsistant, even at full volume.

I'll probably just stick with the Starmate as a vehicular unit and forget about the home setup (even though I have a home kit for it). As often as I'd use it in the house, I can stick with streaming my own music from my server into my HT and still have much better quality.

On a side note (and off topic), if they decide to censor Howard, I'm tossing my receiver in the trash as that was the main reason I went with satellite.

just my 2 cents

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I exchanged my Starmate for a Sportster. Same distortion on SOME music channels (not all...channels which air primarily acoustic music...bluegrass, jazz, classical sound best). I still have my XM gear. It's the talk and "entertainment" channels on Sirius that I really prefer. I may keep XM, or go back to it in a couple of months, for music listening. With three years of late-night headphone listening (to XM), I have NEVER encountered distorted audio (I'm not talking compression artifacts...I'm talking plain-old harmonic distortion, as if something is being over-driven to sound "loud). And I wasn't exactly using a high-end rig...a first generation Sky-Fi and home docking unit.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Mike,

How is this unit connected to your Stereo in the house? I would assume it is directly through RCA plugs.

Have you checked the audio level output on each unit? I know I had to set mine all the way down for a direct connect(this is a Audiovox PNP2 unit connected via Red and White RCA stereo plugs and connected via the cassette adapter to my car stereo/Ford Explorer 02)

In both instances the units AUDIO LEVEL is set at the lowest setting(all the way on the first setting. All the way left if you will). I notice that I "could set it" up to the next to last notch possibly, but any higher and I begin to hear distortion.

Have you checked the audio level out in the user menu?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.