AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
27,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I renovate my room, I wanted to post pix as I back to being a major bass head again!

Speakers are up, properly positioned, wires terminated.

Bed of 7 speakers, front heights, side heights and rear heights and Datasat RS-20i. Closed off equipment room for a ridiculously low noise floor and rebuilt baffle wall. SPeakers are Questeds (AMTs in the LCRs and Front Heights, and ribbons in the others.

Mark Seaton was at my house for 12 hours yesterday going over each of the 18 speakers and subs in preparation for a full Datasat calibration. I'm so glad he came as he is incredibly talented and will make for a successful calibration in two weeks as he corrected and located quite a few issues. He and his employee, Matt, worked tirelessly all day. They found a dead amp channel in a new amp and also found an mis-wired driver in a Quested speaker, confirmed proper phase in all speakers and checked all facets of the set up. He's experience and knowledge is invaluable - what he hears and then confirms via analysis is just amazing. I can't say enough about his commitment to excellence and incredible subwoofers. I can't tell you how impressed I was with his level of expertise. He will come in and aid in the final calibration with the other calibrator in 2 weeks (Carl, an ex-Datasat engineer) as I want his input for the final sub calibration. He and his employee, Matt, worked a very long day and fully prepped the room for the final Datasat calibration. The room is sounding great and the bass demo we did last night was simply insane (Art of Flight) and effortlessly loud, tight, deep and powerful. The balance of the 4 Seatons up front behind the screen with the 2 Seaton F2's in the rear corner (tower) gives me a very flat response BEFORE any Datasat EQ!

Mark took in much data and I expect he will post thoughts here. But the power was just amazing. The balance of the response across the entire theater is really a big surprise. I didn't think it possible.

Hat's off to Mark and the best subwoofer for home theater and a true expert in the field - I now know first hand why his products are the choice for those looking for reference bass! For me, there are his subs and, then, everything else...

Rack VIew

Datasat RS-20i finally in the rack!

Pretty flat to 10 Hz on screen without any Datasat EQ or DIRAC! GOes even lower to boot!

1AM and Mark wrapping it up after a crazy bass demo of 'Art of Flight' and ridiculous levels!

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
Nice. It's great to see some pics of this setup. 18 speakers including subs is quite the setup. Along with that preamp. Not sure you mentioned what amps you are using though. Having all those experienced people do the calibration must make the room sound outstanding. Very nice indeed.

·
Registered
27,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice. It's great to see some pics of this setup. 18 speakers including subs is quite the setup. Along with that preamp. Not sure you mentioned what amps you are using though. Having all those experienced people do the calibration must make the room sound outstanding. Very nice indeed.
QSC Studio Reference amps for Rear Heights, Side Heights, rears and sides.

QSC AP-750-2 Amplifiers for LCRs (bridged to over 2000W and a stereo version for the Front Heights.

·
Registered
27,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
27,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are all your Submersives amped models, or do you have some Master/Slaves?
4 up front are master / slave BUT amplifier is outboard (all subs passive).

2 in rear are standard F2 in master/slave config.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
QSC Studio Reference amps for Rear Heights, Side Heights, rears and sides.

QSC AP-750-2 Amplifiers for LCRs (bridged to over 2000W and a stereo version for the Front Heights.
So all QSC. Nice. Will you start your own thread in the other section? I would love to see more pics of the room and read about it. I see a Home Theater of the Month in your future :).
I'm guessing an auto-correct edited the 2nd set of amps in Jeff's post as the AP-750-2's are amps from Quested not QSC, the same manufacturer as the speakers.

Hopefully Jeff will find and post a couple pictures of the 2 F2's stacked in the rear. Quite impressive. :cool:

So far as the subwoofer response, it's always nice when practice aligns with the plan/theory. Of course those who think multiple subwoofers dropped in automatically make for a better result are in for a surprise. It took some specific settings to get the highly impressive uniformity observed between all 3 rows of seats. Fortunately we were able to achieve this with nothing more than 7ms delay on the rear subs. Having identical subwoofers made this infinitely more reasonable to dial in. We took many measurements I'll have to go through and group to show what we did and the resulting benefits.

I am very much looking forward to the GTG unveiling of this room! :cool:

·
Registered
27,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hopefully Jeff will find and post a couple pictures of the 2 F2's stacked in the rear. Quite impressive. :cool:

I am very much looking forward to the GTG unveiling of this room! :cool:
Here's one!! Tower of bass!!:D

Attachments

·
Registered
27,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Reactions: basshead81

·
Registered
27,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One more

The guys working and Itai (head of iRule) working on my remote on his Mac!

Attachments

Reactions: PcGeek626

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Two snapshots of the 40+ measurements I saved, and probably 100 more we didn't save in between interesting cases:

First we look at the yellow curve showing all 4 SubMersive HP's spread across the front measured at the main listening position, middle of 3 rows. The response of just the front 4 are already +/-6dB below 75Hz without any EQ. The green curve shows the 2 rear SubMersive F2's driven to the same drive level per cabinet as the front SubMersives. Of particular note is that only 2 subs at the rear deliver MORE level in the 21-33Hz, and 60-82Hz range than 4 SubMersives up front. If these 2 were placed at the front wall, they would be a full 6dB lower in level. So while the rear corner is a terrible place to get 10-14Hz to the listening position, it is very efficient elsewhere while reasonably complimenting the dips in the front subwoofer response.

Now we add to the above curves the rather startling red curve of simply turning both subs on with the same signal applied, just as many do in their rooms. The level reduces over much of the range, and we have a ~20dB hole around 45Hz. Through some experimentation that I'll get into with later posts, we settled on applying a delay of 7ms to the rear stack of F2's which results in the much more impressive cyan (light blue) response. Important to note is that we now see gain over each individual response across most of the frequency range (a maximum of +6dB is possible).

This was not the maximum efficiency for this middle row, but rather the setting that was in our useful range that created the most consistent response for all 3 rows.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Two snapshots of the 40+ measurements I saved, and probably 100 more we didn't save in between interesting cases:

First we look at the yellow curve showing all 4 SubMersive HP's spread across the front measured at the main listening position, middle of 3 rows. The response of just the front 4 are already +/-6dB below 75Hz without any EQ. The green curve shows the 2 rear SubMersive F2's driven to the same drive level per cabinet as the front SubMersives. Of particular note is that only 2 subs at the rear deliver MORE level in the 21-33Hz, and 60-82Hz range than 4 SubMersives up front. If these 2 were placed at the front wall, they would be a full 6dB lower in level. So while the rear corner is a terrible place to get 10-14Hz to the listening position, it is very efficient elsewhere while reasonably complimenting the dips in the front subwoofer response.

Now we add to the above curves the rather startling red curve of simply turning both subs on with the same signal applied, just as many do in their rooms. The level reduces over much of the range, and we have a ~20dB hole around 45Hz. Through some experimentation that I'll get into with later posts, we settled on applying a delay of 7ms to the rear stack of F2's which results in the much more impressive cyan (light blue) response. Important to note is that we now see gain over each individual response across most of the frequency range (a maximum of +6dB is possible).

This was not the maximum efficiency for this middle row, but rather the setting that was in our useful range that created the most consistent response for all 3 rows.
Very cool Mark. Because I am a bit of a bass noob -- does the red line show that the front and rear SubM arrays are cancelling each other out? But adding the slight delay removes the null/cancellation? Does adding the delay increase "ringing" issues?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Very nice setup. I'm sure you are going to enjoy your Man Cave very much. It's good to see the detail that Mark and his employee puts into doing the setup and calibrations. He's definitely on my radar for my next upgrade. Once again, very nice setup and CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :D:D

1 - 20 of 177 Posts