AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me, or is the HD transfer of Six Feet Under simply a masked 4:3 shot? Too many heads are getting chopped off for this to be anything but an automated 4:3->16:9 re-framing exercise. I receive HBO-HD via Dish Network.

Other than HBO's "Contact Us" web page is there another suggested means of letting the show's producers know of one's dislike of this tranfer method?

·
Registered
537 Posts
I think what you are seeing is HBO overscanning what they send out. On channel 501 (directv) they also have letterbox for the analog. There seems to be a lot of missing top and bottom screen info on channel 509 that is showing on 501. In my 2 years of viewing HBO HD I have concluded they send out an overscanned image to channel 509. The Sopranos also show as 6 Feet Under does. Even when they show a 2.35:1 movie (Monster's Ball) that movie is not measuring out as teh DVD for the same movie. That is where I really came to my speculation that they send out an overscanned image to most programs on the HD station.

·
Registered
9,223 Posts
First, it's not an HBO problem. SFU is delivered to them on HDD5 tape and they either just play that or dump it into their playout server. Now on their in house HD movie transfers, they do have control of framing.

I work for the facility that does the transfer and post production. I'll see what I can find out about this. But keep in mind we are only a contractor to the production company. Framing issues are usally up to the DP and director. You may want to write or EMAIL them. We simply transfer and frame per their specifications.

BTW, this is a native HD transfer not a re-frame or upconversion.

·
Registered
77 Posts
They should change the title of the HD version to 5 and 3/4 Feet Under. While watching on DirecTV, I switch between the SD version on 501 and the HD version on 509. The SD is clearly better framed. No heads chopped off, etc. The HD head chopping is so sever, I find myself watching the SD version instead. That sad... Come on HBO, this is one of your most critically acclaimed series and you spoil it on HD.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.