AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm panneling over a brick wall/fireplace to house a 52" TV. The cabinet maker can/will build space for the center channel under the TV. I have a new Martin Logan speaker that is 5.5" deep and 6" tall. It messes up the design of the cabinet and presents a new cost element because it is too close to the firebox.

Does anybody make a high quality center channel that is 3-4" tall, 3-5" deep? Witdh doesn't matter since it is a custom built in. It can be an in-wall or table top. We can build to accomodate.

I know it's hard to believe an inch or two in height and depth make a difference but near a fireplace, building code makes it an issue.

Any advice? Thanks.

·
Registered
12,527 Posts
The depth isn't too difficult--any in-wall speaker works in a 4" cavity. The challenge is height. I'd suggest looking at the various in-wall speaker makers to see what they have for C speakers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Roger.

You are correct about the in-walls. Here's my problem w/ them. Since they are made to fit in a stud bay, the width is constrained (which is fine) so most in-walls are 7+ inches tall. I've spent hours searching the web for center speakers and continue to find the same things: Great table top speakers that are deep and in-walls that are tall.

I'm hoping somebody knows of a short, not too deep and wide is fine speaker. I don't want to sacrafice quality, so I mention wide thinking the volume of the box will be significant despite the height and depth constraints.

Do you know of any good sites that I should be looking at?

Thanks!

·
Registered
12,527 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMLV /forum/post/18125522

Thanks Roger.

You are correct about the in-walls. Here's my problem w/ them. Since they are made to fit in a stud bay, the width is constrained (which is fine) so most in-walls are 7+ inches tall. I've spent hours searching the web for center speakers and continue to find the same things: Great table top speakers that are deep and in-walls that are tall.

I'm hoping somebody knows of a short, not too deep and wide is fine speaker. I don't want to sacrafice quality, so I mention wide thinking the volume of the box will be significant despite the height and depth constraints.

Do you know of any good sites that I should be looking at?

Thanks!

For discussion sake, have a look at this one from Definitive . It's not an in-wall, but maybe it's better as it needs no back-box. Can still be flush mounted. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,553 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMLV /forum/post/18124915

I'm panneling over a brick wall/fireplace to house a 52" TV. The cabinet maker can/will build space for the center channel under the TV. I have a new Martin Logan speaker that is 5.5" deep and 6" tall. It messes up the design of the cabinet and presents a new cost element because it is too close to the firebox.

Does anybody make a high quality center channel that is 3-4" tall, 3-5" deep? Witdh doesn't matter since it is a custom built in. It can be an in-wall or table top. We can build to accomodate.

I know it's hard to believe an inch or two in height and depth make a difference but near a fireplace, building code makes it an issue.

Any advice? Thanks.

I'm using an Infinity TSS-Center 4000 paired with Primus 362 towers. I think the TSS-Center 4000 is excellent. At 4-1/8" x 23" x 4-3/8" (H x W x D) it fits your dimensions. Can be table top, mounted with included brackets or flush mounted with kit. I think the kit is still available from Harmon Audio.

http://www.infinitysystems.com/home/...=US&Region=USA

Good deals available on eBay.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you both for the suggestions. I've been researching both speakers today. It looks like they will both fit my application.

Can you recommend in wall speakers that will be good matches to the c-channel? It looks like the infinity Tss-4000 is part of a bundle.

I've been using Martin Logan speakers. Althought the quality is good, I find them to be too directional. For a family friendly application, they are too specific for my liking. I prefer a broader dispersion of sound than I get from my Logans.

Any suggestions? In-wall (depth) is the only constraint. I'm not looking for floor speakers.

Thanks!

·
Registered
12,527 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMLV /forum/post/18129735

Can you recommend in wall speakers that will be good matches to the c-channel?

I'd have a look at the various models from Triad. They have a great reputation, and if any questions, Paul Scarpelli at the Triad thread has the answers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.