AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this must be a dumb question because a slow search for (convergence/sony 1272) is no help, so here goes.

When setting size for vertical in relation to the screen size (54'x96") I have to go 9" above and below the screen in order for various aspect ratios to be properly displayed right?

Now this works fine on my painted wall with chalk lines for a screen outline, but now that my screen has arrived and the white wall will now be black, how do you adjust key,pin,and 21pt zone settings on areas that are off of the screen?. If I just adjust what is visible on the screen when I squeeze a 4.3 picture to fit the 16.9 screen height won't the unconverged and distorted corners that were off screen follow the image?

Surely there is a better way than tacking up white poster paper above and below the screen.:rolleyes:

Also any advise on marking screen center,HV mid points on a silverstar screen. Planning on using post it notes.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
What is going to be doing the 4:3 squeeze?

If a HTPC does it, then the areas below and above the screen will not make any difference- the 4:3 material will be inside the 16:9 frame (which you converged). You could have the top corner misconverged by a foot, and it wouldn't make any difference, so long as the center (16:9) area is converged.

If you are using the projector to do the squeeze, then you won't have any problems either- simply shrink the size settings until the whole picture fits inside your 16:9 screen, and now ALL of your convergence points should be on the screen.

- David

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm using both htpc and line doubler for dual use pc.

If I set the vertical size to the screen size and input 4.3 material it fills the screen. If I input 16.9 image it has bars top and bottom as on a 4.3 screen. If I set the vertical size during initial set up to that of a 4.3 96" wide screen (72x96) then 16.9 material fills the screen properly with minor tweaking and 4.3 material can then be squeezed by pj vertical and horizontally to proper dimensions.

I know this is elementary stuff, just need a little advice to save some trial and error.

So if I do use the pj to squeeze 4.3 material don"t I need to be able to converge all 21pts? What is the best way to do so?

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
When you use the vertical size control to squeeze the image down vertically, all you are doing is compacting a 4:3 image to look like a 16:9 image. Imagine taking a print of a comic with Silly Puddy, then smooshing the puddy down vertically, while keeping the same width horizontally. This is what your Sony is doing.

When you input a 4:3 image, it fills the width of the screen because the scaler has not inserted pillarboxing - black boxes on the sides of the image to fill up the "dead space". When you input a 16:9 image, it should be a 16:9 "anamorphic" image. You can get your HTPC to produce such an image by setting up PowerStrip with a desktop resolution that is 16:9.

And yes, if the projector is squeezing the image, you will need to do all 21 points.

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
When you input a 16:9 image, it should be a 16:9 "anamorphic" image.

------------------------------------QUOTE---------------------------------------------------

Only if the DVD is an anamorphic widescreen right?

On my 1031Q Im doing the simmalar squeeze only I am running sattelite and telling it I have a 16:9 screen and so it fills the 16:9 screen full.

If I then go to DVD and its a 1.33:1 16:9 ratio it fills the screen as well.

1.32:1 anamorphic widescreen wil then letterbox at the top and bottom as it should.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.