AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone who has purchased a 42" plasma been disapointed in its size. I know this is going to be a hard question for people who have spent $3000 to $5000 but deep down do you wish you had gone bigger. To me for an average size living room 46" would be the sweet spot.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought a 42" panny. I sit about 8-10ft away. I'd be lying if i said I didn't wish I bought a 50". Can't say 'disappointed' is the right word but i definitely wish I had MORE! Just couldn't stand waiting another 2 months to save up for the 50.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Size without compromising PQ. Front projection would be great if it wasn't for the lighting problem, rear projection, maybe the DLP's. I don't know, if I'm going to drop this kind of money on a display I'm not thinking, I'll toss it in the bedroom in a couple of years. I did the cardboard cutout of a 46" & a 42" & to me it seemed the 46" is the size if you are sitting 8' away.

·
Registered
15,358 Posts
Yes, it depends not only on size but on image quality. My friend has a DLP front projector and the image is nice 'n big, but I'll take my plasma's image quality over it any day.

If the larger plasma had similar or better image quality, I'd like to go larger. But I wouldn't choose a larger plasma if I took a hit in image quality on DVDs.

Still, I occasionally hanker for a 50" plasma for the bigger image. However, a 42" set makes the most sense in our room right now.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Actually, in my current setup (viewing between 8 & 9'), I actually thought the 50 seemed to big. I didn't go with the cutout idea (might do so now), but did take ye trusy measuring tape into the store and measure my sitting distance. My wife actually felt the 37 was enough, but for $500 or so, I'm definately going at least 42. It seemed the 50 would be great for movies and HD content, but SD content I kinda had a hunch would give me headaches on a 50 at my distance.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know benq seems to be the only talked about 46" but that seems to be the optimum size for an 8' viewing distance. 50" is BIG at 8'.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Sorry if this is too much a newbie post. I've read up and would love reactions to the following proposition:

For a given "class", size only matters to the extent that it allows you to sit further back. By class, I mean for example a traditional CRT with 1080 lines vertical resolution.

For a given type of HDTV 1080i screen, you can get the same perception of sharpness and the screen will cover the same arc of vision on say a 42" and a 50" screen, you just have to sit closer to the smaller screen. Since the 42" has the same number of pixels as the 50", you can be closer and get the same perceived "sharpness."

So you need a really big screen if you want to have lots of people watch at once or your room arrangement is such that you don't want the couch in the middle of the room etc. But if you don't worry about having lots of viewers and you have flexibility with respect to how far you set your couch from the screen, you can save a lot of money by buying a small screen.

Reactions?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've got the 50" pioneer and sit just over 9 feet away and I love it , but lets face it 37,42 or 50" doesn't really matter as they are all better than the 29" 4:3 I used to have.

At the end of the day you can sit back and enjoy any plasma.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Simple economics for me, could not afford a 50" plasma.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Ive got the 43inch 433 and at 6 ft. the picture is perfect.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I *heart* my 50.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
For me, looking in the store, 50" at my viewing distance was too much. 42" was better.

When I got it home, the 42" seemed HUGE. For the room, it is perfect in size, even when off. I am very happy with the size I got...I really was not wanting that "sitting in the front row" feel.

Way better in every way than my old 27"

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think it may also be the size you are moving up from. From 27" to 42" would probably make my jaw drop too. From 35" to 42" ah. Don't get me wrong you'd still hear a "wholly sh&*" from the pq.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Hhahaha bike Potato you put me out of my misery, I have been wanting to respond to this thread for hours.

Get the biggest you can afford, but if you cannot get a 46" or 50" remember it doesen't matter when the lights are off.

And...

Your....

Watching your Plasma!!:D

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Just get closer Lisa! :D

When I got my 433cmx (last July...)they cost what a 503 does today. I was looking at the 503 because there was quite a perceptable difference between the 42 inch units and the 50s on display in the various stores I visited and because my viewing distance was going to be about 10-11 feet. Then one day I saw a 43 inch Pro 800 HD and both 42 and 50 inch Panasonics in the same room. There was not near as much perceptable difference between the 43 and the 50 as there was between the 42 and 50 inch models. Then I learned (from Lisa, in a previous life...) that I could get an articulated mount so that I could pull the whole unit 2 feet closer, which makes it look at least as big as a 50 inch unit mounted directly on the wall. Anyway, I went for the 43 and the smoke and mirrors. Still happy with that choice.

-- Gary

·
Registered
891 Posts
Gary--

I remember that day very well,we were so young and carefree:D

;)

So the answer to the million dollar question IS it all depends on how you mount it?

:D ;)

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I wanted bigger, but my wife says it's just right;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.