AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new home has a space above the fireplace for a TV. It is 40"h 52"w 27"d. I was looking at the 61" Samsung DLP, but it is about 1 1/2 in too wide for the way I wanted to mount it.

Any ideas on what you would put in there?

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
A TV may look nice there, but I don't think putting a TV right above a working fireplace is the best thing to do with any type of TV.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I don't know, but I'll bet you have to go to a plasma to do what you want--provided it is a non-working fireplace.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by loring cox
My new home has a space above the fireplace for a TV. It is 40"h 52"w 27"d. I was looking at the 61" Samsung DLP, but it is about 1 1/2 in too wide for the way I wanted to mount it.

Any ideas on what you would put in there?
Another concern other than size, is the vertical viewing angle for a DLP TV located above a fireplace.

Most posts I recall, recommend that the center of the TV be at your average sitting eye-level.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by adb
I don't know, but I'll bet you have to go to a plasma to do what you want--provided it is a non-working fireplace.
Fireplace is a gas unit. The decorative glas covered kind that vent out the back. It shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by jdmoser
Another concern other than size, is the vertical viewing angle for a DLP TV located above a fireplace.

Most posts I recall, recommend that the center of the TV be at your average sitting eye-level.
Ugh, that was why I am ditching the Mitsubishi there on the ground. So my only choices are plasma or projector?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Yea - you can't go North and South very well with DLPs - don't know about LCoS though. Plasma seems to be you best option. Either with a stand or somehow center it, and have it float. Prabobably a stand that could be angled down would be best. What you want to do is fire up the fireplace and put a thermometer there to see how hot it gets. A nice 50 inch Plasma would look great there. The new Panny's will be out soon. Get the new TH-50PHD6UY

·
Registered
274 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Your situation is very interesting because mine is very very similar.

I have same type fireplace but I have 52" wide, 38.5" high, 26" deep.

I am still considering:

1. Direct view 34, 36, or 40"

2. LCD RP - either Hitachi 50" or Sony GWIII 50 or 42"

3. Sammy DLP 43, 46, or 50"

Sammy 50 or 56" DLP would fit for you.

It is quite annoying to me that the 50" LCD RPs from Sony, Panny, and Hitachi are all 2.5 to 3.5" too wide for our 52" setup. I am considering knocking a hole in the sheetrock on either side just large enough to put the 1.5" edge through to make the 50" sets fit. Like me, would probably need to tilt it down. I think doing so is OK but have posted question related to LCD RP in separate thread.

As a result, I may go with the Sony 42" GWIII which is due out end of Sept/early Oct. Sony 42 GWIII

Actually, that is my leading contender currently.

There are a couple of CRT RPs in the 42-46" range, maybe even a 50" that would fit for you too if that is a technology you are considering.

Remember your center channel speaker when you are looking at TVs also. The slimmest high quality speakers I have found are Definitive Tech's ProCenter or Mythos which are 5.25 and 3.9" high, respectively. Based on your pic, you will need to put the center over or in front of the TV.

Good luck with your research too.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Do not go up high with a DLP, LCD, or CRT...RPTV. Opt for the Plasma or a front projector (which could be DPL, LCD, or CRT based).

·
Registered
213 Posts
All good points here, but... Just wanted to add that it likely wouldn't be that big a deal to angle the Sammy forward just a bit with a shim under the back side of the base... Wouldn't take much back there to get the angle right. That way you'd still have your eyes in boarsight with the middle of the screen even though it was way up high. FWIW, the Sammy is (I believe) measurably lighter than the plasmas at the same size...

Marc

edit: Looks the 567 might fit just about right there...

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
loring cox

Since it is a gas fireplace and looking at your picture, seems to me you have a perfect place to hang a plasma.

·
2,432 Posts
They are right about the viewing angle on most if not all RPTV's in that space. They will all be dark if you are not at eye level with the middle of the screen.

Even for plasma the temp should not exceed 95 degrees F. If it does then go with a front projector because the screen should be able to with stand much higher temps than any piece of electronics.

A point to ponder. I have always wondered how comfortable it is to look so high up to watch TV? Any comments from those that do?

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Where would you put all your alcohol if you used this space for a TV?:(

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by marcInNH
How 'bout just below and behind the ribs (read: stomach) during a good MNF game...? :D
Trust me, that is no where near all the alcohol. just a little wine and the fixin's for some of the wifes mean margaritas. :D

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
loring cox

They are right about the viewing angle on most if not all RPTV's in that space. They will all be dark if you are not at eye level with the middle of the screen.

Even for plasma the temp should not exceed 95 degrees F. If it does then go with a front projector because the screen should be able to with stand much higher temps than any piece of electronics.

A point to ponder. I have always wondered how comfortable it is to look so high up to watch TV? Any comments from those that do?
This is what I was thinking too, or widening the width and trimming it out with matching maple. But I am worried about the angle now. i will measure the distances tomorrow and maybe someone can help with if it will be OK.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So here are the sides of the triangle- a=78" b=144" c=164"

Where a is the height from floor to center of viewing area. b is the distance from seat to TV along horizontal. c is the angle distance.

I never was very good at math, can someone tell me the angle, and if it is too extreme for a RPTV, DLP, type set?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.