AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a Sony 1040 for some time now and I know I know it is video only but I like it and it blows away any $1000 LCD projector I have seen. Surprisingly my significant other loves it. Her only gripe is the size of the thing and the fan noise. I would love to upgrade to a projector with higher resolution but most projectors with better PQ are way larger and have lots more fans. A larger projector would not go over well. Could anyone suggest a projector about the same size as a Sony 10x that would give me a better image? I know Sony 1030s have better PQ but would I notice a difference is it worth upgrading to one?

Thanks

· Registered
466 Posts
the Barco 701s that I had as an upgrade from my Sony 1041 was almost the same size, (looked better) had lef fan noise, and MUCH better Resolution and of course, digital controles.

Josh

· Registered
157 Posts
I have a Dwin HDP-500. It is only 9.5x22x22.5. It can scan to 65khz for up to line quadrupling, and has digital convergence, EM focus, 7" tubes, and NO fan noise!!!

· Registered
157 Posts
I bought mine from a Videogon member. I know I paid too much ($3100), but it met the throw distance requirements for being able to mount it in front of my basement ceiling crossbeam instead of under or behind it. This way, it's throw distance from lens to the screen leaves 3 1/2" of space from the back of the projector & the front of the crossbeam. The Marquee 8000 I had previously would have to been placed directly under the crossbeam, so that when I stand up, my head would hit the bottom of the projector. But the setting of my Dwin leaves about 9" of head clearance!!

· Premium Member
17,492 Posts
ECPs are relatively small (about the size of the Sony 1031q or the Dwin), except they add that massive metal box full of guts.

I crated an ECP today... the total weight came to 179 lbs!

ForwardAir is great... $50.09 for 2 day delivery from DC to Chicago.

(Note: they only accept money orders... no credit cards, not even cash).

ECP: 24"W x 25"D x 17.25"H, 124 lbs.

NEC 6PG: 24 x 30 x 12, 123.5 lbs.

My ECPs are dwarfed by my Marquee and my VPH1271:

1271: 14"H x 24.5"W x 32.25"L

Marquee: 17"H x 28"W x 32"L

And even larger...

1292: 15.25"H x 29.375" x 39.375"

-Clarence

· Registered
157 Posts
I forgot to mention that the dwin HDP-500 is only 65lbs!!!

· Registered
8,079 Posts
Did you swap for that NEC Clarence? BTW nice animation - how do you ever find any time to work?

Back to the original topic: Yes size matters. The bigger the projector, the better the picture.

· Premium Member
17,492 Posts
Those aren't my animations... credit goes to the linked article (Guy did the setup).

Yep, I sent the ECP so he could play with it for a couple of weeks, see if the setup was easier than the challenging 6PG with no point convergence (you can't get much easier than an ECP), take a look at the pristine tubes, and then decide which one to send me...

No cost, no risk, no hassle, no pressure.

But after playing with that 4101 for a few hours after replacing the banged-up blue lense, I'm pretty sure which one he'll want. That 4101 throws a pretty picture.

-Clarence

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just found out about Videogon recently, very cool site.

Are new CRT projectors still being produced? I think that if manufacturers could make crt projectors with the PQ of a high end CRT but in a smaller package people would go with crt rather then lcd or dlp. I have used an lcd projector and was not impressed. The only thing nice about them is the size and brightness.

What LCD people call screen door CRT people call low resolution (like that of a video only projector)

Clarence- Great link!

Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.