AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does the gauge size of the wires for interconnects matter? is it the same as in speaker wires the bigger the better?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
34 Posts
It should n't really matter as there are always exceptions, but in my opinion the thicker cables always sound more musical and weighty.

·
Registered
19 Posts
There are charts out there that show how various gauges work for longer distances (you don't want to run a too thin wire over a long distance).

As a general rule of thumb for home use it seems like 14 gauge (or thicker) would more than cover it. (crutchfield.com says 16 to 12)

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Typically line level interconnects wire gauge is not that important because the signal levels are low and the distances are short.

Now if you were running line level audio or video fifty or a hundred feet, you might want to think about using a larger gauge for less loss.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schitker /forum/post/12999029

No-one has mentioned load impedance, which is probably the most important factor for determining wire guage.

Because 600 ohm impedance is standard for line level inputs in A/V gear.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Actually 600 ohm is an old tube-era standard for balanced lines. Most line-level unbalanced audio gear (sometimes called -10dB or consumer) is built with a low output impedance (often 1K or less, as low as 100 ohms) and high input impedance (usually 47K, can be 10K to 1Meg.) RCA cables invariably sound identical under these conditions, as the output impedance is low enough to not allow cable capacitance to affect the frequency response.

For RCA interconnects, look for solid plugs and reasonably-rugged construction to minimize faulty connections or broken inner conductors from moving equipment around or what have you.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is this one good enough

"PREMIUM 2 RCA Plug/2 RCA Plug M/M 22AWG Cable - 3ft

High quality stereo analog interconnects for your hi fidelity system.

These premium quality cables feature thick RG59u, 75 ohm coax cables with 22AWG solid copper center conductor and heavy duty gold plated, corrosion resistant connectors"

from monoprice website

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
More than adequate unless for some reason the appearance is offensive.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts

Quote:
in my opinion the thicker cables always sound more musical and weighty.

Yep. I sure do love weighty sound. Heavier sound waves are more natural. That's why I use big fat video cables too. I like the heavier light. It moves slower than normal light, but it's just more natural.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts