AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a 52" LCD but since I have (according to the wife) a "perfectly fine working order" 46" rptv already, I've agreed with her to save up the cash before purchasing the 52". It seems that I will miss out on buying a Toshiba 52XV645U as supply seems slim to non as of now and will more than likely be gone by the time I have the money saved so this leaves me with Sony or Samsung in a 52" (no room for a 55" or greater).

So a few questions:

1. Feature being equal would you go size in the 52 with limited selection or more choices in a 46" and give up the added screen size or look at plasmas in a 50"?

2. Has there historically been a time where the prior year Sony's are removed in place of the current year? Would prefer to get a 09 and save on the new tax of the 10's but don't want to miss out like I did on the Toshiba.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Personally, if I had a 46", I'd more than likely upgrade to a larger size.

This year Sony has released their new models a few weeks earlier than in the past. If you want a deal on an '09 model, you'd better hurry. Best Buys in my area have no new stock on '09 Sonys and are selling display models. Most of the new models are already out on display here.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
The longer you wait the cheaper the new TV will be, there will be other (probably better) deals down the road. Paying CASH for your new set is a good idea from a smart woman, never finance a depreciating asset.

If you are technically inclined cleaning the mirror/lenses on your current RPTV will make a huge improvement.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm, was just looking at Sony's 2010 line up and it seems that nothing below EX700 series comes in a 52", guess they are moving to 55" as well.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
If you still have a 720 HDTV then there are benefits to upgrading to a full 1080p model especially if you plan on getting a Blu-Ray DVD player.

We sit 11' feet from our HDTV and we upgraded from a almost 5 year old 46" 720 model to a 55" 1080p model and are extreamly pleased with the result.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tasty /forum/post/18182298

I'm in the market for a 52" LCD but since I have (according to the wife) a "perfectly fine working order" 46" rptv already, I've agreed with her to save up the cash before purchasing the 52". It seems that I will miss out on buying a Toshiba 52XV645U as supply seems slim to non as of now and will more than likely be gone by the time I have the money saved so this leaves me with Sony or Samsung in a 52" (no room for a 55" or greater).

So a few questions:

1. Feature being equal would you go size in the 52 with limited selection or more choices in a 46" and give up the added screen size or look at plasmas in a 50"?

2. Has there historically been a time where the prior year Sony's are removed in place of the current year? Would prefer to get a 09 and save on the new tax of the 10's but don't want to miss out like I did on the Toshiba.

1-Your best shot at availability in the 50" range right now is probably a Sony V, W, Z, or XBR in the 52" screen size. 50" plasmas are getting thin on the ground but would offer more bang for the buck if you do find one. Samsung PN50B550 or B850/860 or Panasonic TC-P50S1 or G10, or even the 54" G10 which is on sale now some places for about the same as the low-mid Sony 52" lcds. Availability is better on 46" sets but not by much.

2-sets aren't removed from store stock when new models arrive, they're discounted and sold to the public. There's a shortage of popular 09 models already in most parts of the country.

I work at a large Sears store and we had one of our "friends and family" events last night. Things are down to the point that of the 5 sets I sold last night 3 were floor models. Our display area looks like a jack-o-lantern grin right now with so many missing slots where floor models were sold.

As I mentionned before the Sonys seem to have the best availability right now not because they're bad tvs--they just haven't had the advertising blitz that Samsung has and their "vivid" mode isn't quite as retina searing so J6P tends to gravitate toward the Samsungs. In my opinion it's easier to get an accurate looking picture with realistic fleshtones on a Sony than on a Samsung, and their less aggressive frame interpolation on 120-240hz sets doesn't exhibit nearly as much wierdness in the picture, like the strange edge artifacting and swimmy look.

·
Registered
8,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S /forum/post/18184117

1-Your best shot at availability in the 50" range right now is probably a Sony V, W, Z, or XBR in the 52" screen size. 50" plasmas are getting thin on the ground but would offer more bang for the buck if you do find one. Samsung PN50B550 or B850/860 or Panasonic TC-P50S1 or G10, or even the 54" G10 which is on sale now some places for about the same as the low-mid Sony 52" lcds. Availability is better on 46" sets but not by much.

2-sets aren't removed from store stock when new models arrive, they're discounted and sold to the public. There's a shortage of popular 09 models already in most parts of the country.

I work at a large Sears store and we had one of our "friends and family" events last night. Things are down to the point that of the 5 sets I sold last night 3 were floor models. Our display area looks like a jack-o-lantern grin right now with so many missing slots where floor models were sold.

As I mentionned before the Sonys seem to have the best availability right now not because they're bad tvs--they just haven't had the advertising blitz that Samsung has and their "vivid" mode isn't quite as retina searing so J6P tends to gravitate toward the Samsungs. In my opinion it's easier to get an accurate looking picture with realistic fleshtones on a Sony than on a Samsung, and their less aggressive frame interpolation on 120-240hz sets doesn't exhibit nearly as much wierdness in the picture, like the strange edge artifacting and swimmy look.

So the Sears salesman/Toyota flunky is still calling ordinary TV customers Joe6Pack

Fact is, a lot of AV hobbiests prefer the more vivid image of Samsung LCDs. Some call it pop, some call it wow. Meanwhile, you are disparaging the people who make your job possible.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/18185028

So the Sears salesman/Toyota flunky is still calling ordinary TV customers Joe6Pack

Fact is, a lot of AV hobbiests prefer the more vivid image of Samsung LCDs. Some call it pop, some call it wow. Meanwhile, you are disparaging the people who make your job possible.

and you like to attack peoples opinion around here when it's not in line with your own.

the "pop" is a result in the glossy screen on most Samsungs. a matte screened model of the same samsung has no pop to the image and as sony's all have matte screens neither do they.

·
Registered
8,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito /forum/post/18185119

and you like to attack peoples opinion around here when it's not in line with your own.

the "pop" is a result in the glossy screen on most Samsungs. a matte screened model of the same samsung has no pop to the image and as sony's all have matte screens neither do they.

Dude, do yourself a favor and put me on your ignore list. When you post preposterous statements like LCD technology having gone as far as it can since it has been around since the 80's, I will continue to note otherwise.

·
Banned
1,244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/18185028

Nah, I prefer a natural tones than the over saturated colors from Samsung.

Sony is coming with glossy screens, so the 'pop' wont be so special to Samsung any longer.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/18185208

Dude, do yourself a favor and put me on your ignore list. When you post preposterous statements like LCD technology having gone as far as it can since it has been around since the 80's, I will continue to note otherwise.

I was using its age as a reference for how long it had been around compared to plasma and both technologies are actually quite old but LCD is older

both technologies have been mostly at a stand still at the panel level for the past 3 years when it comes to the pixel level response times and that is what i was referring to in that post that you took that out of context from.

everyone on these forums are entitled to their own opinion and you are entitled to your own but if you continue to keep attacking or making fun of other members on these forums your only making yourself look bad.

now back to the OP's subject before spyboy derailed it with off topic comments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts