AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing some research trying to pick a sub for my HT system. I've narrowed it down to two, but have a few issues I'd love to get some feedback on from the AVS sub experts.

First some background. I'm looking for a sub that will complement my PSB Synchrony One fronts and provide suitable punch to movies without sacrificing musicality (e.g. I bought PSB's for a reason!). My room is 14' x 27' x 8' (3024 cuft), with an arch to some more space. The top end of the budget is probably around 2K, so a single SubMersive or JL F113 (used or a deal) would work, but it rules out multiple subs. I'll go into list form now with a few questions to make reply easy.

1. Placement poses some big challenges. With my setup I either have to have the sub in the front next to the entertainment center, or run a cable over hardwood (under rugs?) to another location, since my basement is finished and no easy way to fish a cable. If the sub is next to my EUnit I might have to face one of the two drivers (assuming Submersive) towards the side of my entertainment unit with only several inches gap. It will also be behind my right front tower (see ASCII art below 1 char = 6"). Would this completely screw up response?

I hope this ASCII art comes out

Code:
Code:
________          _____________________     ____________
|          Arch    |          | |    |  Door           |
|                _ |_ E.Unit__| |Sub |                 |
|               |F|            |F|                     |
|                                                      |
The Fathom would be smaller and probably go better in the slot next to the EUnit. I also considered putting the sub on the other side of the Door, but I'd have to run an ugly rubber cable cord cover (and incur the wrath of she who must be obeyed)

2. I'm a bit gun shy on Internet Direct subs, since there is no way to hear the system before purchase. I've read some wonderful things about the Submersive but can't hear it. I have not yet demo'd the Fathom, but heard good things too.

3. Do you think a single SubMersive HP or a single JL F113 would be adequate in that volume room? I imagine from what I've read the Fathom may struggle more with the smaller form factor and single driver.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

-Jim Heck

·
Registered
997 Posts
Jim

There are lots of submersives out in the wild, many users would probably let you listen if your close, I am in detroit and my door is always open for a demo. Mine will not be exactly the same as the ones you would get today as its not an HP and it was actually the first beta unit so the dimensions are slightly different while maintaining the same volume as production units today.

Mine is in a room 12X28X7 although my screen is on the 12'wall. its in the corner with one driver within probably 3-4" of the front wall. It has no problem completely filling the room at reference levels, although 2 would be more FUN

There is a used one although not an HP for sale used here but mark will transfer the warranty to the new owner.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbagger /forum/post/19616145

Jim

Mine is in a room 12X28X7 although my screen is on the 12'wall. its in the corner with one driver within probably 3-4" of the front wall. It has no problem completely filling the room at reference levels, although 2 would be more FUN

Cool thanks for the details on your setup. Sounds very similar to mine, except the orientation of the screen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbagger /forum/post/19616145

There is a used one although not an HP for sale used here but mark will transfer the warranty to the new owner.

A screaming deal and close to me, but in the industrial black finish, won't fly in the Family Room

I have another question for people. I will need to cut the sub out to keep the sound volume down for night listening after the kids go to bed (or for some music playing). How do people normally do this? I have a Yamaha RXV1700, but I don't think it has a sub defeat mode. Is there an easy way to turn the sub on and off? I don't see a power switch. Ideally, I'd love to control it from my remote control (Harmony), but don't want to buy too fancy a gizmo to accomplish that. I certainly don't want to have to change the volume on the sub all the time.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 /forum/post/19616141

Just an FYI. You can get a wireless adapter for your sub. Aperion Audio or Outlaw Audio.

Excellent ideas. Do these affect sound quality at all? Do they offer any form of remote control that would allow me to "turn off" the sub? That would be a great boon given my question above on playing music or late viewing with the sub off.

·
Registered
997 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by heckheck /forum/post/19616295

A screaming deal and close to me, but in the industrial black finish, won't fly in the Family Room

If its REAL close you might want to go look at it, what mark now calls industrial black finish is real nice. Here are all the available finishes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.