AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 1866 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Atmos is a fun feature on a soundbar, but it's not as important as core sound quality, the ability to add surrounds, or avoiding compatibility headaches. I have owned both the ST5000 and the K950. In my experience, the ST5000 sounded much better and my only gripe with it was the lack of surrounds. If I was in the market for a soundbar I would be all over the Z9F

·
Banned
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Also, why do you say the rears are a "No Go"? Just because they have a receiver?
Exactly.. not really practical. The receiver should be implemented in the rears each. Maby you have a door between rear right and rear left or something.
Wireless isn’t wireless though because you still need power. Would you rather plug in the receiver and run a short speaker wire or run 2 extension cords to the “wireless speakers?”

·
Registered
272 Posts
Are you using the surround speakers? Have you tried an Atmos demo? How is the SQ with and without Atmos?

Reactions: Zoland2020

·
Registered
25 Posts
This still annoys me that LG didn’t make them compatible with the SJ9. But I’d rather spend $499 on the SJ9 than wait for the SK10 and pay double that plus the speakers.
Totally agree with you, don't know why LG can't/don't make it work on SJ9!:mad:

·
Banned
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
This still annoys me that LG didn’t make them compatible with the SJ9. But I’d rather spend $499 on the SJ9 than wait for the SK10 and pay double that plus the speakers.
Totally agree with you, don't know why LG can't/don't make it work on SJ9!/forum/images/smilies/mad.gif
They could if they wanted to. It’s all wireless anyways! That receiver would just have to be connected to the soundbar. I’m sure they would have an excuse why it can’t though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
So I can't enable Atmos. I've tried with the Dolby Vision/Atmos demo app that came preloaded on the C7 OLED and also on Netflix shows with Dolby Atmos in their descriptions. Soundbar is connected via HDMI ARC OUT directly to the ARC IN on the TV and soundbar is set to the HDMI/ARC input, but when I try to play Atmos content, it only shows that Dolby Vision is enabled in the top right corner of my screen. The only way I can get the TV to show that Atmos is enabled in the top right corner is if I turn off the soundbar and use the Atmos internal TV speakers that come with the C7 which is horse****. I will say, the sound quality is huge step up from the C7s internal speakers, but what soundbar's isn't? Returning this regardless of whether this gets resolved or not due to lack of DTS:X.

·
Banned
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
So I can't enable Atmos. I've tried with the Dolby Vision/Atmos demo app that came preloaded on the C7 OLED and also on Netflix shows with Dolby Atmos in their descriptions. Soundbar is connected via HDMI ARC OUT directly to the ARC IN on the TV and soundbar is set to the HDMI/ARC input, but when I try to play Atmos content, it only shows that Dolby Vision is enabled in the top right corner of my screen. The only way I can get the TV to show that Atmos is enabled in the top right corner is if I turn off the soundbar and use the Atmos internal TV speakers that come with the C7 which is horse****. I will say, the sound quality is huge step up from the C7s internal speakers, but what soundbar's isn't? Returning this regardless of whether this gets resolved or not due to lack of DTS:X.

The TV doesn’t display Atmos if the soundbar is on. The soundbar displays Atmos, that’s all.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You are absolutely right. I was tired last night when I set it up, but now that I got some rest I can definitely hear the difference between the Atmos on and Atmos off in the Dolby Access app demo. Object based sound is clearly not as isolated as actual speakers above me would be, but I do get a sense of being surrounded by the audio. For example, during the rainfall part of the demo, I wouldn't be able to pinpoint that the sound is coming from the soundbar, but it doesn't sound like the sound is coming from above me either. It sounds more like the sound is coming from the top of my TV and the front corners of the room.

·
Banned
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
You are absolutely right. I was tired last night when I set it up, but now that I got some rest I can definitely hear the difference between the Atmos on and Atmos off in the Dolby Access app demo. Object based sound is clearly not as isolated as actual speakers above me would be, but I do get a sense of being surrounded by the audio. For example, during the rainfall part of the demo, I wouldn't be able to pinpoint that the sound is coming from the soundbar, but it doesn't sound like the sound is coming from above me either. It sounds more like the sound is coming from the top of my TV and the front corners of the room.
Yeah I feel the same way but I still really like it. I have the SJ9 so you have more power and speakers than me (rears if added.) also, download the app, it has functionality to change the volume of just the upfiring speakers, which I don’t have. I wish I had that option.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Checked it out at Best Buy the other day. It was hooked up w/o the subwoofer. The basic SQ sounded really good but of course it's hard to tell in a big box store

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yeah I feel the same way but I still really like it. I have the SJ9 so you have more power and speakers than me (rears if added.) also, download the app, it has functionality to change the volume of just the upfiring speakers, which I don’t have. I wish I had that option.
Good to know! I'll try increasing the volume of the upfiring speakers. I have the rear speakers too, but I don't think I'll be opening the box. Towards the beginning of this thread, like you and others, I was hopeful that this would support DTS:X, but it doesn't. It should've been obvious as someone mentioned earlier that the owner's manual was available online with no mention of DTS:X. I'll wait for a soundbar that supports Atmos, DTS:X, and rear satellites. It's a shame because the sound quality on this is great. Felt like I bought a $25 ticket to watch a Dolby Cinema movie in theatres, but with perfect black

·
Registered
272 Posts
Good to know! I'll try increasing the volume of the upfiring speakers. I have the rear speakers too, but I don't think I'll be opening the box. Towards the beginning of this thread, like you and others, I was hopeful that this would support DTS:X, but it doesn't. It should've been obvious as someone mentioned earlier that the owner's manual was available online with no mention of DTS:X. I'll wait for a soundbar that supports Atmos, DTS:X, and rear satellites. It's a shame because the sound quality on this is great. Felt like I bought a $25 ticket to watch a Dolby Cinema movie in theatres, but with perfect black
Maybe try a couple of DTS:X movies on BR and see how it does?

21 - 40 of 1866 Posts