AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw this and would definitely recommend it. Only has a 38% Rotten Tomatoes rating but this was a lot of fun with some nice performances and great atmosphere. Far better than any of the other PG-13 schlock that has been released in the past year.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I agree with you that it was better than most of the PG-13 horror schlock out there. I'm not much of a Hudson fan and I still think she's one boring actress, but the rest of the cast was at full speed.

I thought it rambled and repeated situations a little too often and stretched out a limited theme though. In the old days, this would have made a tight and very clever Alfred Hitchcock Hour or Thriller tele-play.

But, along with a few other plot holes that a reseeing might clarify...

(DO NOT, under any circumstances, read these spoiler questions and comments if you have any intention of seeing The Skeleton Key!!)
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) If the ghost of the black servant woman was living inside the old lady (Rowlands), then who was the black female ghost that Hudson saw in her mirror leaving her room when the old lady was nowhere around? Can the ghosts move in and out of their host bodies at will? If so, then why didn't the black male (or female) servant's ghost just leave his young host body and keep an eye on Hudson at all times?

These may be silly considerations with this kind of fare, but it just seemed there were too many ghosts roaming in and around those host bodies, inside and outside the attic rooms and so on to be so clueless about what Hudson was up to at all times.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I can't wait. It was filmed in an old Plantation in my Parish of St. James (even though they advertise Terrebonne Parish). I work for the Sheriff's Office and we had to provide security detail. I can't wait to see how we look on film. The Dukes of Hazzard was real fun to watch the Duke Boys jump from a road in Atlanta to I-10 in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Our old bar room was totally redone to become the Boars Nest. Totally Fun.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayF
Just saw this and would definitely recommend it. Only has a 38% Rotten Tomatoes rating but this was a lot of fun with some nice performances and great atmosphere. Far better than any of the other PG-13 schlock that has been released in the past year.
Saw this movie this past weekend, and I would highly recommend it also. It would've just been an OK movie, but the ending took me by surprise!! Definitely made the movie!!

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman1037
Saw this movie this past weekend, and I would highly recommend it also. It would've just been an OK movie, but the ending took me by surprise!! Definitely made the movie!!
I thought it was just ok to good as a movie....and if it were not for the suprise ending that caught me by suprise....it would be less than an ok movie ;)

Rotten Tomatoes is sometimes not the best way to judge a flick imho.....but there not even close to getting this one right as it probably deserves at least a 60% rating.

I had noticed that The 40 Year Old Virgin had great Rotten Tomatoes ratings ....but I thought it was way over rated and no where near as funny as Wedding Crashers .

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
I waited until this one got to the discount theater and took my two teenage daughters with me. We all liked it and all thought the incredibly cute Kate Hudson still looked a little like she recently had a baby, which was OK with us, and I never make politically incorrect statements about women around women. Her performance was pretty good in my opinion. Better than average, but not much.

Chris

·
Registered
155 Posts
Just caught this one on NetFlix. Much better than I thought it would be. I might have been disappointed if I'd seen it at the theatre for $30, but definitely worth a $3 rental!

·
Registered
611 Posts
I always wondered how much scenery in a movie is real. After watching Skeleton Key I was actually shocked. The areas behind the focal point aren't Digitally Edited in almost every outside scene. The best was the lat scene when the house was shown and they were panning away showing it covered by trees. That part is true. However they addedd all the Swamp, removed River Road, removed the Mississippi River, removed the OLD St. Joe store and removed the sugar cane fields.

·
Premium Member
5,035 Posts
How much of the set and surroundings is still standing after the hurricane this summer?

·
Registered
611 Posts
The particular plantation in Skeleton Key is known as "Felicity Plantation" to us.

Hurricane Katrina yeilded very minor structural damage parish wide. However, Katrina's largest impact was on our tourism. Felicity was planned to open after Skeleton Key. The production company agreed to totally renovated Felicity Plantation as payment for its use in the movie. Felicity is a very small plantation on the grounds of St. Joseph Planation http://www.stjosephplantation.com which is near the famous Oak Alley Plantation http://www.oakalleyplantation.com . These 3 Planatations are mere acres from each other.

As I said, Katrina's impact was on tourism. Thousaands of people would vacation in New Orleans and charter buses to come to the Planatations. Now there is no Tourism and these plantations are struggling to survive. Oak Alley Plantation is currently running a Skeleton (No Pun intented) Crew and needs $65,000.00 to break even every month.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.