AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like a stupid question but, can I build an HTPC without a 3.5 inch floppy?

In the case that I needed a 3.5, couldn't I just use an external floppy?

I'd like to use the 3.5 bay for a connectors port.

Mike

· Registered
6,664 Posts
BTW, I should add I did have one instance where having a floppy was useful. I needed to run a memory testing program off a boot disk and didn't have the software to create a bootable CD. So I can't guarantee you that you won't sometime wish you had one, but they are generally pretty useless today.

· Registered
387 Posts
Although the floppy is outdated, you may have a use for it someday for emergency boot reasons. Have you thought of getting the floppy combo drive that also contains a variety of memory card readers? I believe they can be found for under 30, and it still only takes a 3 1/2 inch slot up.

· Registered
387 Posts
double post

· Registered
409 Posts
If you need to install any third part drivers during the initial install you will need one. Also some firmware/bios upgrades still require one. If you have a newer PC, you MAY be able to plug in a external USB floppy as needed.

· Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Couldn't this be done by downloading drivers via internet?

For those requiring a rom flash or other, can't it be copied to a CDROM and

installed via cdrom boot?

Mike

· Registered
3,372 Posts
A floppy is going to cost you about $12. For that one day when you are going to need to, it's worth it IMO. If it's not the $12, but an issue of a spare drive bay, remember that you can always use rails to install one in a 5 1/4 bay.

· Registered
1,390 Posts
I haven't used a floppy in years. If I need to troubleshoot, flash the bios, or do something unusual, I boot a Knoppix CD which gets me a net connection, complete browser, ghosting software, and more tools than I could use off of floppies.

· Registered
623 Posts
I would appreciate if somebody could give me the best way to install XP on a raid controller card in a PC that does not have a floppy without having to go with a spare HD...

When XP starts, you press F6 to specify special drivers for your raid controller and it asks for you to put the driver disk in the A drive...

I know that you can install it on a spare hard drive, then when XP is installed, you load the drivers for the raid card and then image the Hard drive XP partition onto the raid partition, but this is not what I am asking here. :)

(Please do not mention USB floppy drives... :D)

Thanks,

Arno

· Registered
582 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cooltalkingfrog
I would appreciate if somebody could give me the best way to install XP on a raid controller card in a PC that does not have a floppy without having to go with a spare HD...

When XP starts, you press F6 to specify special drivers for your raid controller and it asks for you to put the driver disk in the A drive...

I know that you can install it on a spare hard drive, then when XP is installed, you load the drivers for the raid card and then image the Hard drive XP partition onto the raid partition, but this is not what I am asking here. :)

Thanks,

Arno
Could you use a SUBST or NET USE command from the Run prompt to make a USB Flash Drive or a network share look like A:?

· Registered
1,390 Posts
cooltalkingfrog,

Just make your own copy of the install CD and add the drivers to it. You can toss in the latest service pack and updates while you are at it. This makes installing XP *much* easier, especially if you ever do it more than once on the same machine.

Google for "slipstream" or "slipstreaming" for more info.

· Registered
793 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cooltalkingfrog

Thanks,

Arno
Well I won't mention "drives", but I will mention USB "keys". I use mine all the time for emergency boot, etc. Great way to transfer files quickly between non-networked machines too.

Haven't tried loading drivers during Windows install from it.

· Registered
39 Posts
You dont need the floppy....

and for those rare, once in a freaking blue moon's where you do "need" a floppy...

just grab any old floppy drive out is a spare parts box, plug it in, but don't mount it in the case.....

when done toss the floppy drive back in the spare parts box. :D

Bryce

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.